Another Porter question- sorry

After 44 cruises we always tip the porters because they lift those heavy suitcases right out of the car trunk and onto the big carts. As Platinums they also have to take the time to put special tags on the checked bags. When we leave the ship the porters take the luggage right to our car at valet parking or if we haven't used valet parking, they take the luggage right to the car in the parking lot/ramp garage. They are providing a service and we always tip for service. Why wouldn't you also tip the hotel housekeeping staffs? People can be so cheap about tipping and I don't get it.

After 44 cruises we always tip the porters because they lift those heavy suitcases right out of the car trunk and onto the big carts. As Platinums they also have to take the time to put special tags on the checked bags. When we leave the ship the porters take the luggage right to our car at valet parking or if we haven't used valet parking, they take the luggage right to the car in the parking lot/ramp garage. They are providing a service and we always tip for service. Why wouldn't you also tip the hotel housekeeping staffs? People can be so cheap about tipping and I don't get it.

I didn't say that I wouldn't tip the porter. I was saying that I have never used one, because I never see them in Galveston. I was questioning that people seem to top out of fear that their luggage won't make it onboard and I don't really get that. I just can't see someone not loading your luggage, because of tip or lack thereof. I mentioned that I tip the shuttle drivers because they are the ones who unload my luggage. Then I carry it to a room. I don't tip the guy in there, because he just points to where to put it. But part of my question was my wondering if I should have been tipping him.

I dont know where the question of why I wouldn't tip hotel housekeeping. I didn't mention if I do or do not. But you can trust that I am not cheap when it comes to tipping.

It’s a school of thought based on myth. Is a porter really going to risk their high paying job over someone that didn’t give them a couple bucks? I’m extremely skeptical that they would. At worst they might be a bit rough when they load your bag into the carts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can be more than a bit rough, slamming the luggages on the ground, breaking pieces off the luggage, etc... The ports have cameras everywhere, and they do get fired for "losing" your luggage, but without a complaint nothing will happen over an intentionally damaged bag.

They can be more than a bit rough, slamming the luggages on the ground, breaking pieces off the luggage, etc... The ports have cameras everywhere, and they do get fired for "losing" your luggage, but without a complaint nothing will happen over an intentionally damaged bag.

My point remains, there is a myth that exists on cruise critic of the porter tossing your luggage in the water if you don’t tip. Could they break your bag intentionally? Sure. Are most of them stupid enough to risk their employment to do so? Not likely. Unless someone has solid evidence of a porter intentionally tossing someone’s bag in the water, I’m extremely reluctant to believe that it has ever happened. I’m sure there have been instances where a load of bags falls out of the cart while being loaded and regrettably ending up in the water, but I’m not buying the whole conspiracy theory that no tip = bag in the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk