Today's dumb question: Turkish Visas?

Bruin Steve

Okay, I've got that Oceania will acquire the Visa for me for $49 per person...

...and also that it could be done on your own a little cheaper...

But, for the sake of knowing it's being taken care of, I'm opting to pay the $49...That's not the question...

This will be my first time to Istanbul...I am using Oceania's air, but with a deviation, I'm arriving a couple of days ahead of the cruise...

I assume the Turkish authorities ask for the Visa as you ARRIVE at the airport, correct?

So, here's the question: Is the Visa something Oceania sends you with the cruise docs? Or does it come from the Visa contractor directly? What does it look like (Though I've travelled extensively, somehow I've never been anywhere I've needed a Visa--only Russia--and there it was handled as a group visa with the excursion).

Thanks...

When I recently asked the same question, I was told the visas come with your cruise documents so you will have them in hand before you land in Istanbul. We are also arriving early in I-Bul for the Oct Nautica sailing. Let us know how your stay there goes and any special tips or suggestions. Looking forward to it. Have a great trip.

When we visited Turkey on a cruise in 2001 (on Renaissance), the visa's came with our final documents.

According to the Turkish embassy, the fee for a single entry visa is $20. Assuming you'll send your passport and application to the embassy via registered mail or overnight letter and the same for return, $49 seems to me to be an agreeable price to pay - particularly for the convenience.

http://www.turkishembassy.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=494&Itemid=464

You'll be glad you are going early - Istanbul is an incredible place! Warm people, incredible history, beautiful location. The cruise through the Dardenelles is also mesmerizing, considering the martime history of this area. Our regret on that 2001 trip was that we didn't extend our time in Istanbul.

Have fun!

Joe

When we first visited Istanbul, we landed at the airport and just before reaching passport control, there was a desk for US citizens to obtain their visas. At that time, the cost was $45.00 PER PERSON - so today it's a bit of a bargain. The visa was simply several postage size stamps stuck on a page of the passport.

It's a small price to pay for visiting such an interesting and exciting country - I'm sure you will find much that will please you. But - when visiting the Grand Bazaar, please trace your route. I understand there are people there from a year ago who are still trying to find their way out!!

Rickey 88 wrote in part " But - when visiting the Grand Bazaar, please trace your route. I understand there are people there from a year ago who are still trying to find their way out!!"

LOL and some still trying to get out of carpet stores I am sure;)

Steve.....just beware the total lunacy of the cab drivers fron the Airport to your hotel...........road signs and lights seem to mean nothing.......we have hired a private car to take the 4 of us direct to the ship from the airport on the 14th at a cost of $50.......

Brian

I don't think that for a few bucks Steve or anyone should worry about having to look for the "visa" booth.. he has a long flight.. perhaps from London it is an easy no brainer.. but from Southern Calif.. a long bloody flight.. and when Steve gets to gorgeous Istanbul.. that should be the last thing to worry about..

let the ship get the visa and send to you w/ your docs.

have fun.. UCLA go:)

"Looking for the visa booth at the Istanbul airport" is a no-brainer; it's located a few short steps from where one deplanes. The lines move quickly, and one has the opportunity to "schmooze" with others in line. After obtaining our visas, we walked to the luggage carrousel, where our luggage was just starting to arrive. And oh yes - we traveled from Los Angeles, changed planes in Paris, and were bleary-eyed as well. I would much rather fork over $20 to the Turkish officials than rely on Oceania's more pricey (and sometimes dicey) visa sercice.

IMHO, of course!

And I second the motion about Istanbul - we loved the three days we spent there, with our wonderful guide Nejat!

Mike

But - when visiting the Grand Bazaar, please trace your route. I understand there are people there from a year ago who are still trying to find their way out!!

Here's a great tip - when you first enter the Grand Bazaar, visit one of the first shops and ask for a business card. When you get turned around - and you WILL - just show it to a merchant and they'll point you on your way. :cool:

Joe

Steve,

This is totally unrelated to this post but I noticed you rented a car in London on a previous trip. Can you tell me the name of the company you used and were you pleased? We need transportation from London to Dover and back plus wouldn't mind having a car for pre- and post- cruise days.

Thanks for your help! Please feel free to email me direct (or anyone else that might have helpful info): ljoren@cfl.rr.com

Lynn

Steve,

This is totally unrelated to this post but I noticed you rented a car in London on a previous trip. Can you tell me the name of the company you used and were you pleased? We need transportation from London to Dover and back plus wouldn't mind having a car for pre- and post- cruise days.

Thanks for your help! Please feel free to email me direct (or anyone else that might have helpful info): ljoren@cfl.rr.com

Lynn

Lynn,

We used Hertz and had no complaints...We got a reasonable weekly rate on a Ford Mondeo--adequate trunk space and room for the four of us...we picked it up and returned it at Heathrow with no hassle...

But, a few notes:

First, the reason we did it was that we spent a week touring Britain--Heathrow to Bath to Northern Wales to Sterling, Scotland to Inverness, Edinburgh, York, Stratford, down to London...

Having the car in London was of no use at all...We left it in a parking garage for two days and took public transportation...

Merely for transportation to and from Dover on our last cruise, we opted for no car...used the train to get from Gatwick to our hotel and a taxi to get from the hotel to Heathrow...we used the cruise line transfers to get from London to Dover and back and various forms of local transportation to get around London...

The problem with having a car in London is that there really is very little room to park, traffic can be horrendous...and other forms of transportation are so easy...

Renting a car only to park it at Dover for the length of the cruise makes little sense...I suppose you could get two one-way rentals, but the cost for those might be quite high...

Oh...and the driving on the other side of the road does cause problems for many...the biggest thing I had to adjust to was that I kept looking up to my right expecting to see a rear-view mirror!!

All in all, if what you want a car for is merely to get from London to Dover and back and to get around London for a day or two pre- and post-cruise, I would opt for local transportation and either a transfer, train, bus or hired car for the London-Dover links...

Good luck...

Think I read somewhere if you are on a cruise ship you don't need a visa for just a day visit in Istanbul, does anyone know if this is correct? I understand that flying into Turkey would require one though.

Think I read somewhere if you are on a cruise ship you don't need a visa for just a day visit in Istanbul, does anyone know if this is correct? I understand that flying into Turkey would require one though.

You are quite correct. As long as you do not disembark, and spend overnight on board the ship, a Turkish visa is not required. Otherwise, landing either by air or ship does require a visa upon arrival

Some of the information here is not quite correct!

While I will leave the deciciosn to get a visa from Oceanias visa department or not up to the individual - you DO need a visa to enter Turkey

If your cruise starts in Istanbul - you will need it to "enter" the country to get to yuor cruise ship.

IF you start your cruise elsewhere, you do not have the option to state that you will "stay on board" even though you are we;lcome to if you desire.

Check with the cruise lines policy. They may nopt board you at the origin if you do not posses ALL of the visas you require for your entire cruise!

Be carefull!

Cheers

Martin

You are quite correct. As long as you do not disembark, and spend overnight on board the ship, a Turkish visa is not required. Otherwise, landing either by air or ship does require a visa upon arrival

Well, we are definitely getting off the ship so I guess I better read further about this. The blue mosque in Istanbul was the main reason for picking this cruise.

Well, we are definitely getting off the ship so I guess I better read further about this. The blue mosque in Istanbul was the main reason for picking this cruise.

By referring to "Disembarking" the ship, I meant to infer that to disembark meant to leave the ship as if it were at your final destination. Thus, you were "entering" Turkey as a newly landed passenger, and a visa would be required. However, if your cruise merely stops in Istanbul - and you will continue on to other destinations, then you are only a visitor and no visa would be required. I believe you will find that as long as you return to the ship after your tour at the end of the day, you would not need a visa.

When I boarded Insignia in Istanbul this past July, my passport (with visa attached) was taken and I was given a green card with both Turkish and English printing on it as a temporary passport for use in Turkey. When I returned to the ship after our second day in Istanbul the green card was collected. This was the only port for which we were given some kind of temporary passport. I take that to mean that a valid passport with visa attached is required for Turkey, no matter how you get there or how long you stay. I want to mention that when I got my passport back on the last night of the cruise it had entrance and exit stamps on it from several of the countries we visited as well as an exit stamp from Turkey.

By referring to "Disembarking" the ship, I meant to infer that to disembark meant to leave the ship as if it were at your final destination. Thus, you were "entering" Turkey as a newly landed passenger, and a visa would be required. However, if your cruise merely stops in Istanbul - and you will continue on to other destinations, then you are only a visitor and no visa would be required. I believe you will find that as long as you return to the ship after your tour at the end of the day, you would not need a visa.

Thanks Dick, yes....we will only be there for the day.

YOU NEED A VISA TO GET ON THE SHIP

YOU NEED A VISA TO EVEN VISIT THE COUNTRY FOR A DAY

If you didn't, believe me Oceania would not be introducing the headache of getting everyones visa.

You can either get the visa from Oceania, oyu pay for this service, probably more than it is worth. Its called overhead.

You can go to a visa service on your own and have them tdo the leg work

or

Check if Turkey has an embassy or consulate near you that would issue you your visa. http://www.embassyworld.com/ is a good source for locating this.

Getting off a ship at a port is not as simple as it appears to the passengerr. A lot of immigration checks go un un noiticed by hte passenger, hence the reason your passports are collected.

IF you want to get off the ship with 700 other people, (if they have even let you onbaord without the correct documentation), on a one day port stop, and spend most of your time schmoozing in a lineup with other unprepared travellers that you will be onboard with for days anyway, go ahead. But I can think of better ways than spending part of a day in an amazing city messing around with immigration procedures!

Cheers

Martin

Archived