Regal 4/8 - Port Everglades - stay overnight prior to cruise or drive in early?

CricketCruiser

Used to do what Princess called "Love Boat Connection" then when they stopped that it was just directly with "cruise connection" who sold the route to Encore bus line. They were bad so starting driving day of.

As far as I know, the the love boat connection bus is only available on the day of the cruise.

The "I always arrive a day early people" must abhor this bus.

Yet, lots of people love it. Maybe they don't know to hate it?

I chatted with one gent during disembarcation -- he lived somewhere north of orlando.

He was taking the bus and expecting to arrive home in the early evening.

He loved not driving.

Personally, I could never endure so much delay for a 3-4 hour trip...

We live in Fernandinho Beach, about 30 miles north of Jacksonville. We always drive the morning of the cruise, even to Miami. The Florida Turnpike runs parallel to 95 once you get around Jupiter. Also US 1 runs along the coast. Have alternate routes planned and leave early. Sitting waiting to board is worth having a couple of hours leeway in case of trouble. It has worked for us and the money we save is better spent than in an overpriced hotel. JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We recently left Orlando at 9am on a Saturday and arrived in Port Everglades around 1pm (there were a few slowdowns on the Turnpike). We were able to walk right on the ship with no waiting in line for checking in.

I agree with the others who say leave early and know your options for alternate routes.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are such wimps! We live in Central Florida and drive to Fort Pierce to spend the night--hotels are reasonable there. And it's only 2 hours from the port. For the last two times, we have parked at the Renaissance Hotel--1 mile from the port--excellent courteous shuttle drivers--never have had to wait. Check it out on: airportparkinginc.com. Choose Fort Lauderdale cruise port--scroll down to the Renaissance listing. It is in a garage (which DH loves).

We have friends that always use Park and Go. It has a good reputation--as others have said.

But we love using the garage. And we love being dropped off right at the ship--not having to get there from terminal parking (which is at least twice the cost of off-site places.)

We live in Fernandinho Beach, about 30 miles north of Jacksonville. We always drive the morning of the cruise, even to Miami. The Florida Turnpike runs parallel to 95 once you get around Jupiter. Also US 1 runs along the coast. Have alternate routes planned and leave early. Sitting waiting to board is worth having a couple of hours leeway in case of trouble. It has worked for us and the money we save is better spent than in an overpriced hotel. JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the good points! Really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the info! Seems like a lot of seasoned Floridians just drive down early in the am the day of. I'm going to check on hotels that offer free parking for the week, if I can find that we'll stay overnight, if not, we'll drive and park at Park & Go. Thanks again!

As far as I know, the the love boat connection bus is only available on the day of the cruise.

The "I always arrive a day early people" must abhor this bus.

Yet, lots of people love it. Maybe they don't know to hate it?

I chatted with one gent during disembarcation -- he lived somewhere north of orlando.

He was taking the bus and expecting to arrive home in the early evening.

He loved not driving.

Personally, I could never endure so much delay for a 3-4 hour trip...

A few years ago we would always use the bus but as their prices keep climbing higher each year we found that driving was a far better option.

We're the first to leave the ship at 6:15 AM & are home by 9 AM.

The bus doesn't even arrive at the terminal until sometime after 10 or 10:30 for the return trip.

We're the first to leave the ship at 6:15 AM & are home by 9 AM.

The bus doesn't even arrive at the terminal until sometime after 10 or 10:30 for the return trip.

Two hours and 45 minutes! You should probably drive in at least 2 days early! :)

Keep in mind that I-95 is currently closed in both directions (and has been for a few hours) in Volusia County due to brushfires. As you probably know, we're in drought right now, and these types of fires can break out at any time. And close roads.

The last time we had these kinds of drought conditions and were driving to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise, we went the day before. Otherwise, we usually drive there that morning.

Keep in mind that I-95 is currently closed in both directions (and has been for a few hours) in Volusia County due to brushfires. As you probably know, we're in drought right now, and these types of fires can break out at any time. And close roads.

The last time we had these kinds of drought conditions and were driving to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise, we went the day before. Otherwise, we usually drive there that morning.

That's a good point. Especially when coming from the west coast going across Aligator Alley. Cruising this time of year is new to me with Princess usually pulling out of the Caribbean during the summer.

Hopefully it starts raining well before my early June cruise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

That's a good point. Especially when coming from the west coast going across Aligator Alley. Cruising this time of year is new to me with Princess usually pulling out of the Caribbean during the summer.

Hopefully it starts raining well before my early June cruise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

By May you'll be wishing for a break in the afternoon showers. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from our cruise. We had a very easy drive to the port, leaving New Smyrna Beach at 7:15 a.m. and arriving at 11:15. We used GPS so if any traffic occurred we could be rerouted from the turnpike to I 95. We parked at the pier garage and unbelievably were in our cabin at 11:40 a.m. The last morning we did walk off and had zero wait time at customs. We were in our car headed home just minutes after disembarkation. I'm glad we spent the extra money to park at the pier as we were able to do 2 long days of driving to arrive home to Michigan the next night.

This sums up my response quite nicely! And for us for a seven night cruise we would just park right at the pier in the covered garage. Easy Peasy and no shuttle buses!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We park at the pier also and don't care about a few extra dollars a day to park there.

The biggest advantage is when getting off the ship upon your return is getting a porter that takes all your luggage, gets you thru customs quickly and brings your luggage right to your vehicle and puts it in the trunk/back seat for you. The parking deck at the pier is covered so your vehicle is not out in the hot sun.

Well worth the $20 tip that we give the porter and not having to deal with carrying our luggage or cabs.

I hate hassles!

Howard