Civitavecchia - time to train station

worldtravelista1

Looking at booking my train travel from Civitavecchia to Rome. We dock at 08:00, and there are trains at 8:45. (and earlier)

Is 45min enough time to exit the boat, walk to the train station, and then walk to the platform?

Or would 60min be a better time?

Thanks!

PS - Will be on Meraviglia. (In case that matters where we dock at.)

Why are you booking tickets. I always get walk up with no problem. You will have to take a bus from the ship to out of the port, then it's at least a mile to the station. There also is a fee shuttle bus to the station.

Yes that should be enough time to make it from the boat to the train station. The only thing is the boat is docked a good distance from the train station to walk to. We had to get a taxi to take us to the train.

Yes that should be enough time to make it from the boat to the train station. The only thing is the boat is docked a good distance from the train station to walk to. We had to get a taxi to take us to the train.

Wow, thanks! I wasn't thinking we'd need a taxi; rather i was hoping that we could just walk off the boat and go right to the station. But it also sounds as though you are forced to take the ship's shuttle to the off-site location.

And then either walk, take a 2EUR bus, or taxi to train station.

I prefer to book my tickets ahead of time, to save time from 1,000's of people trying to get tickets at once. Plus then i can just board the train faster - there'll be 4 of us.

You can get a free shuttle bus provided by the port from the ship to the port entrance where you can then get a local bus from there to the train station, you pay for that but it's not expensive or you can walk from the port entrance to the train station.

I think it would be very tight to make the 8.45am train. To avoid the queues at the train station you can pop into the newsagents next door and buy the train tickets there. It cost €12.70 when I did it 3 years ago, that ticket includes travel on the buses and underground in Rome.

In case you don't know make sure you validate your train ticket in the machines in the train station foyer or on the platforms before you board the train or you could end up with a hefty fine.

Wow, thanks! I wasn't thinking we'd need a taxi; rather i was hoping that we could just walk off the boat and go right to the station. But it also sounds as though you are forced to take the ship's shuttle to the off-site location.

And then either walk, take a 2EUR bus, or taxi to train station.

I prefer to book my tickets ahead of time, to save time from 1,000's of people trying to get tickets at once. Plus then i can just board the train faster - there'll be 4 of us.

Yes they do make you get on a bus shuttle that drops you off at an off site location. There will be lots of taxi drivers trying to drive you to Rome for $50 euros. We just told them to take us to the train about it was about $10 euros.

We booked our tickets before we left and it was easier then waiting in line to buy tickets.

The good thing with the trains is if you miss the train you can use your tickets for the next one. Hope this helps!

Yes they do make you get on a bus shuttle that drops you off at an off site location. There will be lots of taxi drivers trying to drive you to Rome for $50 euros. We just told them to take us to the train about it was about $10 euros.

We booked our tickets before we left and it was easier then waiting in line to buy tickets.

The good thing with the trains is if you miss the train you can use your tickets for the next one. Hope this helps!

Yes, this all helps - thanks so much, Shay!

That's what i was thinking too - w the 2nd Class seats, if we miss one train we could just catch the next.

But the (now) 8.42 train is a Regionale Veloce; so it's a few minutes faster w 1st & 2nd Class. (Not that big of a difference, really - but i'd like to get to the City faster.)

Thanks again!

From the port entrance to the train station is at most a 10 minute walk in a straight line. Problem is that the shuttle busses that take you out of the port wont stop at the entrance, they take you to the main bus station which is in the opposite direction.

From there you can get the local bus to the station but we walked it because the queue was horrendous, it was about a 15 minute walk through the town which was quite nice.

Coming back we walked to the ship from the station and it took about 30 minutes, I guess it depends where your ship is docked.

Don't buy train tickets in advance, there are walk up ticket machines at the station which are super easy to use and the Rome train is very frequent.

!

Is it really only €50 for a cab to Rome? If that's the case, it may be easier for my family of 4 to take a cab there and then just take the train back to Civitavecchia?