Help! Documents for a minor !

Not sure what all you put in your letter, but you need three things : permission to travel, permission for medical, and permission to sign any waivers. We have taken kids that are not our own several times (friends of our kids and my niece). We have been asked at check in for the letter every single time. We have been asked for the letter to sign the waivers for the climbing wall & skating twice, have had to use the ships medical facilities once and had to get the letter from the room before we could be seen, and have had to have the letter with permission to travel going through customs on the way back once. You can have three separate letters or put all the info in one letter. Definitely would have permission for medical notarized. Every time we have taken an extra child with us, the letter was signed by only one parent so I would not worry about a signature from the dad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But see there’s is no custody papers she snever had to pursue it he’s never had anything to do with his son ! So what happens in this case the kid just doesn’t get to go ? If there going I deny us there is no point in going ! Some people say the they don’t even ask to see it and we will be fine some say they may ! I paid all this money and for excursions just to be denied

As someone who frequently traveled internationally with my kids and without my husband (their father) over the past two decades, I suggest:

Take all the paperwork you can (no point in trying to get anything proving father is in prison, as noted above that does take away his parental rights in this arena).

Check in online prior. Don't mention that one of the kids is not family when you check in at the pier. You probably will not be asked.

If you are asked. Tell them (honestly) he is a friend and you have paperwork, start getting out the paperwork and let them see it, or copy it if needed (but insist on keeping originals if you are asked to hand them over).

Have a Plan B of what you will do in the extremely unlikely event that the boy is denied boarding. will you all skip the cruise and lose what you have paid on it (as this would not be RCI's fault)? Will one of you skip he cruise, and return home with the boy? Is the boy up to being put in a taxi to the airport in that situation and flying home on his own? In the unlikely event you DO run into an issue boarding, having a plan will save stress, worry and money.

But see there’s is no custody papers she snever had to pursue it he’s never had anything to do with his son ! So what happens in this case the kid just doesn’t get to go ? If there going I deny us there is no point in going ! Some people say the they don’t even ask to see it and we will be fine some say they may ! I paid all this money and for excursions just to be denied

It's a slim chance but yes, he could be denied boarding. No one here can say for sure what will happen. Plenty of folks report having to show various paperwork when cruising with a child not theirs or both parents not present, and plenty report never being asked to show a thing. Honestly, even though dad has never been involved in the kid's life, it would be in mom's best interests to pursue sole custody LEGALLY. Whether she cares to do that and has time before the cruise is anyone's guess. But on the slim chance he's denied boarding, it won't be Royal's fault, and it won't matter what you've paid. It's a "buyer beware" situation.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this older thread to see if someone can provide a link to the Royal web page describing what is required for the notarized letter from the parents of a "child" traveling with us. I put child in quotes because this is my daughter's 20 year old boyfriend. Surprisingly, I can't find this info on the Royal web site. :confused::rolleyes:;p

Bumping this older thread to see if someone can provide a link to the Royal web page describing what is required for the notarized letter from the parents of a "child" traveling with us. I put child in quotes because this is my daughter's 20 year old boyfriend. Surprisingly, I can't find this info on the Royal web site. :confused::rolleyes:;p

20 year olds may not be of legal drinking age, but they are considered adults. No letter from his parents required. :)

To OP - you are putting a lot of faith into the child's birth certificate rather than a passport.

Make sure the birth certificate is the original, e.g. Raised seal, or state certified copy. Usually won't accept a simple photo copy or hospital issued.