New UPDATED Cruise Director (CD) List - starting from April 2018 onwards

Question for you all:

Do you think that the class of ship influences your experience with a Cruise Director? I'm personally yet to have a good one on a small ship. Oasis Class sometimes has them, but doesn't always draw the best. I always thought that the best were on Voyager and Freedom Class. Of course, with CD's moving around so much, that means nothing. What have your experiences been with CD's across different classes?

I been on all class of ships I been cruising since 1999 and always had a great time no matter who was the cruise director.

Sent from my Z982 using Forums mobile app

Jeff is only on for 2 months, so no need to worry. No info as to his replacement though. It was supposed to be John Blair, but he is going to Radiance instead.
If you're referring to Jeff Arpin, I just don't get why he gets such a bad rap from so many. I thought he was one of the better CD's we've had on our 8 cruises. His sense of humor is sometimes dry, but I guess I just get it. Maybe it's not for everyone. But I've certainly had CD's I would be MUCH more upset to see again than Jeff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

TLex, CD for our cruise will be on vacation early summer, but will return before we cruise. Just had a less than steller experience last time we cruised with him. He will not make or break our cruise....been doing this too long to ever rely on any CD to impact our experience....so not too concerned.

Happy Friday! Thanks all for the updates!

Adventure OTS - Chris Brown started mid-April until July. (then who?)

Allure OTS - Jimmy Rhodes returns March 11 for 4 months, then Mitch Merucci is scheduled to return August 12 for 2 months.

Anthem OTS - Dennis Charles returns May 12 until September 6, then Chris Brown starts September 6 for 4 months.

Brilliance OTS - Abe Hughes started March 31 until early-July, then Clo O'Connor will be CD from early-July until September 1. (need July handover date)

Empress OTS - Hugo Arenas began November 10 for 4 months. Is Hugo still onboard? Who will be replacing him?

Enchantment OTS - Bobby Broughton returned April 6 for 4 months. Mike Szwajkowski is rumored to be on EN for his next contract, but no confirmation yet.

Explorer OTS - Topi Ylönen returns June 8 until July 27. Graham Seymour is wanted to be kept on Explorer by the HD, so may be regular CD again for the rest of 2018. Dennis Charles is also said to be joining Explorer (needs confirmation).

Freedom OTS - Drew Devine starts March 17 until July 28, then Topi Ylönen returns July 28 until September 29, followed by Drew September 29 for 4 months.

Grandeur OTS - Bob Leininger returned June 2 until October 6. Bob returns December 1 for another 4 month contract. Mitch Merucci is unsure if he is joining GR in October as planned. It may be Mike Szwajkowski instead.

Harmony OTS - Dru Pavlov returned April 21 until August 4, then Marc Walker returns August 4 until October 6.

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton returned May 28 until September 22, then Tim Connor returns September 22.

Jewel OTS - Andrea Olivieri started February 25 until June 30, then Simona Ferraiuolo returns June 30 for the Italian summer season.

Liberty OTS - Jeff Arpin started May 27 for 2 months. (then who?)

Majesty OTS - Susan Adams took over February 26. (until when? then who?)

Mariner OTS - Ricky Matthews until July, then Carlos Torres joins in July for 2 months, then Ricky returns in September for 4 months. (need handover date)

Navigator OTS - Rob McNally started May 6 until late-August, then Cuddy Cudworth returns in late-August.

Oasis OTS - Dan Whitney returned early May for 4 months.

Ovation OTS - Mike Hunnerup returned March 23 (for 4 months?).

Quantum OTS - Paul Rutter starts April 9 for 2 months and again in the Fall for 3 months. Who will fill in for Paul's vacation? Fang Lixin?

Radiance OTS - Ken Jones joined April 17 for 2 months, then Cuddy Cudworth starts June 15 for 2 months followed by John Blair in August until January.

Rhapsody OTS - Elvis Pinto returned early February for 4 months. (then who?) Elvis expects to return to Rhapsody in August after his vacation.

Serenade OTS - Jamie Fentiman started May 13 for 4 months.

Symphony OTS - Michele Scarpato joined March 11 and will still be onboard in mid-July. Bobby Brown will eventually return and be CD for the TA. (need handover date). Marc Walker takes over November 9 in Miami until February 16. (He joins Oct 23 for a 17 day handover)

Vision OTS - Steve Davis returned April 6 until August 6.

Voyager OTS - Michelle Oliveira began late-May (for 4 months?).

Where is Patricio Honores?

Jerome Sueur has left RCI and is reportedly joining Carnival and getting married soon.

Keith Williams has been cleared to return from medical leave, but does not currently have a ship assignment.

Casey Pelter is now working shoreside for Celebrity as Manager of Entertainment.

Graham Seymour is stepping back from cruise life after July 28, 2017 except for occasional fill-ins. (Graham is filling in on Explorer from Feb 9.)

Rich Edwards has unfortunately passed away in June 2017. RIP Rich.

John Perry has left Royal and is now Operations Manager at Hyatt Hotels (per LinkedIn)

Ken Rush works at corporate in Miami as RCI's Director of Entertainment. He may occasionally fill-in as CD

Amy Fickert-Southgate has taken a job shoreside as of June 8

Luke Aerowsmith is working at the corporate office in London

Gordon Whatman is retired, but will be filling-in from time-to-time if needed.

Allan Brooks works for Celebrity in their corporate office.

Richard Spacey is a CD with Celebrity

Becky Thompson works for Celebrity Cruises in their corporate offices in Miami.

Dave Chapman is a CD with HAL

James Andrews is a real estate agent in Sydney

Leo Papa is a Product Manager at Tauck Corp in Connecticut

Anna Bass is a make-up artist

João Pereira has returned to Royal Caribbean and is now the Cruise Sales Manager on the Liberty of the Seas.

Kirk Detweiler is now CD with Silversea cruises.

Simeon Baker - married a dancer, had a baby girl and is a sales exec at a Porsche dealer in Saskatchewan

Matt Baker - Sim's brother - Has sold the Tiddly and is now a radio presenter.

Kieron Buffrey - CD with Viking River Cruises and recently became a father to a lovely baby boy

Tom Canosa - teaching 6th grade science in North Carolina

Peter Benfield and Johnny Osborne have emigrated to Thailand

Anthony Richards is living in Miami with his wife, and is working for Royal Media Partners as Manager Port Revenue Operations

Rico du Breil is now a CD with SilverSeas out of Italy

Paul Lancaster is no longer with RCI, and resides in England

Abel Jeney is now with The World - Luxury Residence at Sea

Parker Cristan is living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - staging/choreographing for local theater

Ashley Kerr - married and living in Vancouver BC, working as a marketing rep for a PR firm

Karen Maybury - has a consultant/pr/entertainment agency

Jannie Cloete - leading expeditions on small ships

Warren Allen (aka Warren Melhuish) lives in Ontario, Canada. He has retired from ship-life but still works on the stage

Thomas DeCell is no longer with RCI

Leigh Xuereb and his AM Frankie Portera are CD's for Carnival

Was going to comment that Dennis is staying on Anthem until end of summer, but someone beat me too it. Definitely don't think he's a good fit for that class. Maybe unpopular opinion, but I definitely got the creeps from him as well. The live entertainment this past 9-night was absolutely fantastic, Matt Yee, The Royal Swedes, Bon Jovi Tribute, Toby in the Pub, the Las Vegas Tenors, comedian Jim David, and more! But the other activities were strangely planned and timed and I blame that on the CD.

Was going to comment that Dennis is staying on Anthem until end of summer, but someone beat me too it. Definitely don't think he's a good fit for that class. Maybe unpopular opinion, but I definitely got the creeps from him as well. The live entertainment this past 9-night was absolutely fantastic, Matt Yee, The Royal Swedes, Bon Jovi Tribute, Toby in the Pub, the Las Vegas Tenors, comedian Jim David, and more! But the other activities were strangely planned and timed and I blame that on the CD.

They shouldn't have kept him for another contract on Anthem, especially since a younger crowd will be sailing during the Summer.

Chris Brown is the new regular on AN after Dennis and is said to be a good CD. He's a young Aussie - does that remind the Bayonne market of anyone? :D

thats stinks.....my fiance and i have a 5 day bermuda cruise on the Anthem on aug 4 and was hoping for a good CD.....was on the Anthem for a 9 day last yr and had marc walker whom my kids and myself thought was great.Any way of finding out who the cover band would be beforehand.......a Bonjovi one would be great

Happy Saturday! Thanks all for the updates!

Adventure OTS - Chris Brown started mid-April until July. (then who?)

Allure OTS - Jimmy Rhodes returns March 11 for 4 months, then Mitch Merucci is scheduled to return August 12 for 2 months.

Anthem OTS - Dennis Charles returns May 12 until September 6, then Chris Brown starts September 6 for 4 months.

Brilliance OTS - Abe Hughes started March 31 until early-July, then Clo O'Connor will be CD from early-July until September 1. (need July handover date)

Empress OTS - Patricio Honores began late-May. (for 2 months? then who? Hugo Arenas?).

Enchantment OTS - Bobby Broughton returned April 6 for 4 months. Mike Szwajkowski is rumored to be on EN for his next contract, but no confirmation yet.

Explorer OTS - Topi Ylönen returns June 8 until July 27. Graham Seymour is wanted to be kept on Explorer by the HD, so may be regular CD again for the rest of 2018. Dennis Charles is also said to be joining Explorer (needs confirmation).

Freedom OTS - Drew Devine starts March 17 until July 28, then Topi Ylönen returns July 28 until September 29, followed by Drew September 29 for 4 months.

Grandeur OTS - Bob Leininger returned June 2 until October 6. Bob returns December 1 for another 4 month contract. Mitch Merucci is unsure if he is joining GR in October as planned. It may be Mike Szwajkowski instead.

Harmony OTS - Dru Pavlov returned April 21 until August 4, then Marc Walker returns August 4 until October 6.

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton returned May 28 until September 22, then Tim Connor returns September 22.

Jewel OTS - Andrea Olivieri started February 25 until June 30, then Simona Ferraiuolo returns June 30 for the Italian summer season.

Liberty OTS - Jeff Arpin started May 27 for 2 months. (then who?)

Majesty OTS - Susan Adams took over February 26. (until when? then who?)

Mariner OTS - Ricky Matthews until July, then Carlos Torres joins in July for 2 months, then Ricky returns in September for 4 months. (need handover date)

Navigator OTS - Rob McNally started May 6 until late-August, then Cuddy Cudworth returns in late-August.

Oasis OTS - Dan Whitney returned early May for 4 months.

Ovation OTS - Mike Hunnerup returned March 23 (for 4 months?).

Quantum OTS - Paul Rutter starts April 9 for 2 months and again in the Fall for 3 months. Who will fill in for Paul's vacation? Fang Lixin?

Radiance OTS - Ken Jones joined April 17 for 2 months, then Cuddy Cudworth starts June 15 for 2 months followed by John Blair in August until January.

Rhapsody OTS - Elvis Pinto returned early February for 4 months. (then who?) Elvis expects to return to Rhapsody in August after his vacation.

Serenade OTS - Jamie Fentiman started May 13 for 4 months.

Symphony OTS - Michele Scarpato joined March 11 and will still be onboard in mid-July. Bobby Brown will eventually return and be CD for the TA. (need handover date). Marc Walker takes over November 9 in Miami until February 16. (He joins Oct 23 for a 17 day handover)

Vision OTS - Steve Davis returned April 6 until August 6.

Voyager OTS - Michelle Oliveira began late-May (for 4 months?).

Jerome Sueur has left RCI and is reportedly joining Carnival and getting married soon.

Keith Williams has been cleared to return from medical leave, but does not currently have a ship assignment.

Casey Pelter is now working shoreside for Celebrity as Manager of Entertainment.

Graham Seymour is stepping back from cruise life after July 28, 2017 except for occasional fill-ins. (Graham is filling in on Explorer from Feb 9.)

Rich Edwards has unfortunately passed away in June 2017. RIP Rich.

John Perry has left Royal and is now Operations Manager at Hyatt Hotels (per LinkedIn)

Ken Rush works at corporate in Miami as RCI's Director of Entertainment. He may occasionally fill-in as CD

Amy Fickert-Southgate has taken a job shoreside as of June 8

Luke Aerowsmith is working at the corporate office in London

Gordon Whatman is retired, but will be filling-in from time-to-time if needed.

Allan Brooks works for Celebrity in their corporate office.

Richard Spacey is a CD with Celebrity

Becky Thompson works for Celebrity Cruises in their corporate offices in Miami.

Dave Chapman is a CD with HAL

James Andrews is a real estate agent in Sydney

Leo Papa is a Product Manager at Tauck Corp in Connecticut

Anna Bass is a make-up artist

João Pereira has returned to Royal Caribbean and is now the Cruise Sales Manager on the Liberty of the Seas.

Kirk Detweiler is now CD with Silversea cruises.

Simeon Baker - married a dancer, had a baby girl and is a sales exec at a Porsche dealer in Saskatchewan

Matt Baker - Sim's brother - Has sold the Tiddly and is now a radio presenter.

Kieron Buffrey - CD with Viking River Cruises and recently became a father to a lovely baby boy

Tom Canosa - teaching 6th grade science in North Carolina

Peter Benfield and Johnny Osborne have emigrated to Thailand

Anthony Richards is living in Miami with his wife, and is working for Royal Media Partners as Manager Port Revenue Operations

Rico du Breil is now a CD with SilverSeas out of Italy

Paul Lancaster is no longer with RCI, and resides in England

Abel Jeney is now with The World - Luxury Residence at Sea

Parker Cristan is living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - staging/choreographing for local theater

Ashley Kerr - married and living in Vancouver BC, working as a marketing rep for a PR firm

Karen Maybury - has a consultant/pr/entertainment agency

Jannie Cloete - leading expeditions on small ships

Warren Allen (aka Warren Melhuish) lives in Ontario, Canada. He has retired from ship-life but still works on the stage

Thomas DeCell is no longer with RCI

Leigh Xuereb and his AM Frankie Portera are CD's for Carnival

Any updates? A few ships with info needed. Particularly Symphony with regards to the handover date. I can't wait to be on in 2 weeks but really hope it is Michele for both sailings. Also hoping for a good Cruise Staff and AM.

I didn't realise cruisers paid so much attention to the CD until I came across this thread ! Our last two cruises have been Liberty from Galveston in December 16 (and we are from UK - there are direct flights from Manchester to Houston with Singapore Airlines now making it much easier to get there ) and remember having a cheesy couple but from this thread now realise it was the Blairs and we weren't impressed. We have just returned from a cruise from Hong Kong on Ovation and it was the first time I have ever commented in the RC post cruise survey about a CD - he was called Mike who we thought was rude to the performers on the ship (we thought the CD who was on for the Asian cruisers was lovely and was a pity we didn't speak mandarin Chinese !) Our next cruise is on Rhapsody so it looks like from the postings Elvis will be our CD so maybe we'll be travelling with one of the better ones !!!

I didn't realise cruisers paid so much attention to the CD until I came across this thread ! Our last two cruises have been Liberty from Galveston in December 16 (and we are from UK - there are direct flights from Manchester to Houston with Singapore Airlines now making it much easier to get there ) and remember having a cheesy couple but from this thread now realise it was the Blairs and we weren't impressed. We have just returned from a cruise from Hong Kong on Ovation and it was the first time I have ever commented in the RC post cruise survey about a CD - he was called Mike who we thought was rude to the performers on the ship (we thought the CD who was on for the Asian cruisers was lovely and was a pity we didn't speak mandarin Chinese !) Our next cruise is on Rhapsody so it looks like from the postings Elvis will be our CD so maybe we'll be travelling with one of the better ones !!!

Sailed with the Blairs before - I get the impression that Brits generally wouldn't care for their CD style. They were perfect for Baltimore. Not my cup of tea.

Shame that the AM on OV was only there for the Chinese cruisers. What did Mike say that was rude to the performers? I've heard complaints about him in the past.

BTW - Elvis is great!

He just gave out a vibe that he was better than them but the one particular incident we remember was at the top tier event when after the captain and he had spoken he was supposed to introduce a string duo to close the event but he simply couldn't remember the name of the act and the two young ladies ( called Accolade ) were obviously embarrassed - he could have handled the situation much better (after all we all forget names sometimes ) but he was totally unprofessional . We had a fantastic time on this cruise despite all the negative reviews of Asian cruises we had read and CD do not make or break a cruise for us !

You mean Mike Hunnerup we've also had the unfortunate privilege of cruising with him and also forgot the name of an act.

Again it didn't ruin our cruise but I think we all like a cruise director to offer a little something but we thought that he had no personality at all.

Weve been on 6 Royal cruises and Mike Hannerup was our first CD, on Explorer in 2003. This was our first ever cruise so we really had nothing to compare him to, but I do recall him with fondness.

Most memorable? Probably the scouser Rob McNally and his assistant, Mark. Great morning show

Best?

Casey Pelter was ultra professional and slick but I have to say Marc Walker was excellent on last years Indy TA.

Prior to the cruise, I read the reviews and vowed to hate any bloke who said bing bong every sentence, but he was warm, approachable, funny and entertaining.

Very good.

The cruise director doesn’t make or break a cruise for me personally, but he or she certainly can improve it or have me walking away disappointed in the entertainment. My personal favorite has and probably always will be Jimmy Rhodes. 2nd up is Ricky Matthews.

I’m going to be on Mariner on July 6th and I’m dying to know the handover date. I hope Ricky will still be on....

If you're referring to Jeff Arpin, I just don't get why he gets such a bad rap from so many. I thought he was one of the better CD's we've had on our 8 cruises. His sense of humor is sometimes dry, but I guess I just get it. Maybe it's not for everyone. But I've certainly had CD's I would be MUCH more upset to see again than Jeff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Sorry to reply to something that was posted 2 weeks ago, but I just read a Liberty compass and it looked to me as if he only turns up at the main activities. Not even at the 70's night. Surely a CD should be expected to make an appearance at the party events?

Seemed like he had a strong AM though - lots of activities in the Compass.

Anyone got any recent feedback on their experiences with CD's? 11 days until I set sail on SY - keeping my fingers crossed that Michele is great. Abe really set the bar high on HM.

Sorry to reply to something that was posted 2 weeks ago, but I just read a Liberty compass and it looked to me as if he only turns up at the main activities. Not even at the 70's night. Surely a CD should be expected to make an appearance at the party events?

Seemed like he had a strong AM though - lots of activities in the Compass.

Interesting - he was seen often throughout our cruise.

Did Michele mention his replacement? How come I haven't already heard about a CD conference?

Edit: I remember you providing incorrect info to Donna when she did the list. Please come back to confirm this info.