Juneau Mendenhall canoe tours SOLD OUT 6/2/18!! Options?

Motegi

Pam and I will be on the NCL Bliss in Juneau on June 5th.

We were hoping to do the Mendenhall glacier canoe and ice cave hiking tour.

Unfortunately the three sources that we have for tour operators show the excursion as being sold out on that day:

1) Liquid Alaska

2) Above & Beyond

3) Alaska Shore Excursions

This brings us to a few questions:

1) Does anyone know of any other reputable tour operators who offer this tour?

2) What is the possibility that we can purchase this excursion from a different tour operator once we arrive in Juneau?

3) Are there any other tours that provide the opportunity to visit the Mendenhall ice caves?

Alaska Shore Excursions is a broker. They don’t run the tours. Have you tried booking this through the ship? I know Princess offers it as a shore excursion. Since this is on Forest Service land, tour operators need a permit and I doubt there are more than a couple of companies running this tour. You might be able to get on a waitlist.

No, sorry there aren't any other vendors. Ask to go on a waiting list with Liquid, and Above and Beyond. Forget about "looking" though anyone else. These are the only operators, don't involve middle men.

IF your ship, has this tour, you might want to just book it with them, IF a priority. Otherwise, ask about the wait list, and call, frequently every day leading up to your arrival. Maybe even stand by? More success with single seats as well, maybe try that too?

No, sorry there aren't any other vendors. Ask to go on a waiting list with Liquid, and Above and Beyond. Forget about "looking" though anyone else. These are the only operators, don't involve middle men

Thanks for the advice!

I called Liquid and got on their waiting list. They said because of the timing of the NCL Bliss only one of their three tours that day will work. The max capacity for guests is 10. There are 6 others on the waiting list already so he didn’t sound too hopeful but we will keep our fingers crossed.

Above & Beyond said that they have openings but do not think that they can complete the excursion during the time that the Bliss is in port.

Thanks for the advice!

I called Liquid and got on their waiting list. They said because of the timing of the NCL Bliss only one of their three tours that day will work. The max capacity for guests is 10. There are 6 others on the waiting list already so he didn’t sound too hopeful but we will keep our fingers crossed.

Above & Beyond said that they have openings but do not think that they can complete the excursion during the time that the Bliss is in port.

I'd suggest you make other plans, with only 2 spaces and 6 ahead of you on a wait list, not very likely.

With Bliss in port for such a short time, a better use of your day might be to book the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm. A much better way to get to the glacier than on the humongous Bliss that will very likely not get more than a few miles up Tracy Arm before turning back due to ice conditions.

We’ve already booked the Tracy Arm excursion. It leaves the ship at 1:15PM just ahead of the Bliss’ 1:30PM all aboard. It looks like the Tracy arm excursion boat goes up toward the glacier just ahead of the Bliss and rendezvous with the Bliss at about 6:30PM.

I'd suggest you make other plans, with only 2 spaces and 6 ahead of you on a wait list, not very likely.

It’s actually 10 spaces. But 6 ahead on the wait list. Odds are still not very good.

As a backup we’ve booked the morning helicopter to the glacier with dog sled excursion through Viator. We have up until 7 days before the excursion to cancel on the event that the Glacier Canoe shorex becomes available.