Cannes during the film festival....anyone with experience?

chloemonkey

It seems as though NCL is not offering any shore excursions to Monacco or Monte Carlo during our two cruises and the reason that I was given was that it was during the Cannes Film Festival. Private tour companies ARE offering these excursions but I am a bit leery due to the distance of these trips and the possibility of traffic etc. with NOT being on a ship led excursion.

We LOVED visiting these places in the past and just would like anyone with experience to chime in....i.e. is it a pretty safe bet that we will get there and back without issues? And if not, what other lovely things should we try to see this time in Cannes?

All opinions welcomed!

Our May 2016 cruise had an overnight in Cannes on Days 1 & 2 of the film festival and we had absolutely no problems with our private tours, nor did those who took Celebrity's tours. Though of course there wasn't a train strike at that time, lo!

One of the highlights of our two days in Cannes was watching celebrities on the red carpet the first evening. There were loads of TV cameras and crews reporting live and the atmosphere was electric. Plus lots of people dressed to the nines trying to gatecrash, including someone wearing a horse's head - it was all great fun and we had a marvelous time :)

I have been in Cannes, twice, during the Film Festival and it really did not impact cruise stuff. Most of the Festival stuff does not start until the evening and, other then town being crowded and some extra traffic is was never a big deal. I have no idea why they would not have cruise line excursions..especially to places like Nice, Monte Carlo and St Paul de Vence. The main autostrade to these places would not be affected by the Festival...so once a bus is a few blocks away from the Croisette it would normal driving.

But do heed the warning about the ridiculous train strikes going on at the moment. No telling how long this labor-government situation will drag on...and they are having many 2 day strikes (total of 12 days of strikes scheduled in April). These strikes are going to cause lots of problems for tourists (and the French).

Hank

I'm not for sure what dates you are going, but the Grand Prix is also the same time as Cannes. I've looked into a couple of private excursions to Monte Carlo during my visit on May 11, but I haven't found any without a disclaimer stating they will visit a different place during these two weekends.

It seems as though NCL is not offering any shore excursions to Monacco or Monte Carlo during our two cruises and the reason that I was given was that it was during the Cannes Film Festival. Private tour companies ARE offering these excursions but I am a bit leery due to the distance of these trips and the possibility of traffic etc. with NOT being on a ship led excursion.

We LOVED visiting these places in the past and just would like anyone with experience to chime in....i.e. is it a pretty safe bet that we will get there and back without issues? And if not, what other lovely things should we try to see this time in Cannes?

All opinions welcomed!