Maho beach

On our cruise last week, my husband was wearing his Sunset Bar & Grill t-shirt. A couple on the elevator noticed it and commented he should frame it because he probably won't get another one. They said Maho Beach and the Sunset Bar & Grill had been completely destroyed and there were no plans to re-build it. Is this really true? I was under the impression they had been there since the hurricanes, but from what I'm reading on these boards it's up and running again. I sure hope so. We'd love to get back there soon. It's one of our favorite ports due to that beach - so unique! Plus, we both need new t-shirts from the Sunset Bar & Grill - we're wearing out our 2nd set - LOL!! Best wishes to the people of all of the devastated islands. :*

They said Maho Beach and the Sunset Bar & Grill had been completely destroyed and there were no plans to re-build it. Is this really true?

100% false.

On our cruise last week, my husband was wearing his Sunset Bar & Grill t-shirt. A couple on the elevator noticed it and commented he should frame it because he probably won't get another one. They said Maho Beach and the Sunset Bar & Grill had been completely destroyed and there were no plans to re-build it. Is this really true? I was under the impression they had been there since the hurricanes, but from what I'm reading on these boards it's up and running again. I sure hope so. We'd love to get back there soon. It's one of our favorite ports due to that beach - so unique! Plus, we both need new t-shirts from the Sunset Bar & Grill - we're wearing out our 2nd set - LOL!! Best wishes to the people of all of the devastated islands. :*

They were definitely wrong. We went to Maho Beach and at lunch at Sunset Bar & Grill on May 2nd while on the Freedom of the Seas.

• 3 weeks later...

My cousin was in St M. last week and said the cab fare was $16 per person from Port To Maho beach, that added up w 4 in his family. Anyone have a different experience or know of a cheaper way? Thanks!

My cousin was in St M. last week and said the cab fare was $16 per person from Port To Maho beach, that added up w 4 in his family. Anyone have a different experience or know of a cheaper way? Thanks!

I don't recall it being that expensive, but it's been about 4 years since we were there. Maybe others can assist. Good luck!

We were there in March. Went on a carnival excursion of top 10 of st. Martin. Best excursion we have ever been on. So much of the island has to be rebuilt. Our tour included Maho beach. We saw 2 big planes and a couple of small ones. It made our cruise! So glad we actually got to see the planes land. One of our best cruise memories! We were on a tour, but there were a lot of taxis right at the parking lot by the beach. However I would say it took us at least an hour to get back to the port. They have two lane roads and shut down one side for utility work. Where we live, they would let one side thru for a few minutes, then the other side. In st. Martin we waited at least a half an hour or more. It was like a parking lot. According to our tour guide, that’s how they do it. So if you are going by taxi, leave plenty of time to get back to the ship.

Actually distance means squat in St Maarten. Location and time of day and construction/accidents is what really matters. So not only was he a little flippant he did not give good advice either.;)

Agreed even if that guy was from my home town. I believe it is 8 miles when I mapped it, but its a lot of hills, twists and turns and subject to traffic, especially with multiple ships in port or on a weekday. Allow 30 minutes travel to be sure, though most taxis want to drop you off downtown, you have to insist if you want to return all the way to the port.

The bus is another, much cheaper, option. You can catch it on Back Street (behind Front Street). It is a van-type bus with a placard in the window that says "Mullet Bay" or "Maho Beach". The cost, one-way, is $2 per person and it takes about the same amount of time as a taxi. There are a ton of buses, so catching one in Philipsburg or at Maho is very easy.

Also, are you sure the quote was not $16 per person round trip? Most reports have the one-way cab fare at $8 per person, but we have always taken the bus, so I can't report that from experience.

• 2 weeks later...
The bus is another, much cheaper, option. You can catch it on Back Street (behind Front Street). It is a van-type bus with a placard in the window that says "Mullet Bay" or "Maho Beach". The cost, one-way, is $2 per person and it takes about the same amount of time as a taxi. There are a ton of buses, so catching one in Philipsburg or at Maho is very easy.

Also, are you sure the quote was not $16 per person round trip? Most reports have the one-way cab fare at $8 per person, but we have always taken the bus, so I can't report that from experience.

We were at Mullet Bay June 30th and it was $16 round trip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

We were there in March. Went on a carnival excursion of top 10 of st. Martin. Best excursion we have ever been on. So much of the island has to be rebuilt. Our tour included Maho beach. We saw 2 big planes and a couple of small ones. It made our cruise! So glad we actually got to see the planes land. One of our best cruise memories! We were on a tour, but there were a lot of taxis right at the parking lot by the beach. However I would say it took us at least an hour to get back to the port. They have two lane roads and shut down one side for utility work. Where we live, they would let one side thru for a few minutes, then the other side. In st. Martin we waited at least a half an hour or more. It was like a parking lot. According to our tour guide, that’s how they do it. So if you are going by taxi, leave plenty of time to get back to the ship.

I just came across this excursion for my February 2019 cruise. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Gives my wife and me another option to choose from.

How long was the stop at Maho beach? Also, was there plenty of beach time given elsewhere? We don't care much for shopping, so beach time and some sightseeing are our main interests. Thanks.