Newbie questions

We’re booked on the Bliss this summer with our 5 year olds. This is our first cruise so any general advice you have would be welcome but I have a couple specific questions that I’m hoping someone here would know.

For laser tag, are kids generally allowed? My son saw it on the pictures I showed him and he’s desperate to play. He hates being in the water so this is currently his number 1 goal.

Are kids still allowed in hot tubs? They like to sit with me for a few minutes at a time.

What are the usual gluten free offerings in the buffet?

What are the best things to do on the first day besides the pool?

What kind of hands on class/activities on the ship could kids attend? I know the kids club will have stuff but I’m thinking more about stuff for us adults that they could tag along on. Like is there still an origami class?

Alaska questions:

Are there any junior park ranger activities or similar on the ship for Sawyer Glacier?

Recommendation for decent kids binoculars?

Does the Mendenhall Glacier center have any jr ranger like activities?

Short activities for kids in Victoria?

What is there for kids outside the pool and kids club?

Sorry, That ended up as more than a couple. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For laser tag...

LASER TAG: $5 PP/PER SESSION

- no minimum age

- no height or weight requirements as long as the player can hold the gun.

For hot-tubs, unless an age mimimun is specified, the child is allowed. However, there are many on this forum who are against children in the hot-tub for a multitude of reasons. My kids and I have no problem using the hot-tub, though. ;p

We are also sailing on the Bliss this summer. 6/16/2018. I only have a few answers.

1. Yes kids are allowed in the hot tubs but remember the pool water is really cold on Alaska sailings so you will have a lot of adults in there and some times the adults are not very happy about a ton of kids in with them.

2. we have two family member members that have Celiac disease and I would not feel super safe about the cross contamination in the food. I would suggest a call in before hand. The head of dietary should be able to go over menu ideas for the cruise. If you do not need to worry about cross contamination, the buffet will have options.

3. On the first day enjoy getting to know the ship. Check in with the kids program that is age appropriate and meet so new friends.

Our little ones loved dancing to the live atrium music every night. Also Im not sure if there will be a glow party for the kids on this ship but it was fun painting teeshirts for the event. Shirts and paints provided by the staff.

Have fun!

For laser tag...

LASER TAG: $5 PP/PER SESSION

- no minimum age

- no height or weight requirements as long as the player can hold the gun.

For hot-tubs, unless an age mimimun is specified, the child is allowed. However, there are many on this forum who are against children in the hot-tub for a multitude of reasons. My kids and I have no problem using the hot-tub, though. ;p

Awesome, thanks! My post started with just those questions but grew quite a bit while typing. I’ll post the Alaska specific in the other forum later. Those were stuck on while I was thinking about ncl questions.

Will answer what I can and what others already haven't :)

Just get familiar! Since you have kids, I'd recommend heading to the kids center to get registered and find out all of the info first. I always suggest to avoid the buffet on the first day and hit up the dining room for lunch, it's nice and quiet. Take your time, don't rush, and just enjoy.

What kind of hands on class/activities on the ship could kids attend? I know the kids club will have stuff but I’m thinking more about stuff for us adults that they could tag along on. Like is there still an origami class?

There will likely be too many events for you to even keep track of. Browse through some of the threads here, and you can likely find copies of the Freestyle Daily (the daily program) from recent cruises that other CCs have shared. They obviously change cruise to cruise, but most of the daily activities remain relatively similar.

Alaska questions:

I live in Victoria.. so if you have any specific questions feel free to let me know. Victoria is the perfect place to get off and go for a walk. No real need to plan ahead. Fisherman's Wharf is a short walk from the pier (20 mins) and it's a great place to take kids to get ice cream and enjoy the scenery. Beacon Hill park is a big winner for kids, there's a big play park, a petting zoo and lots of space to run around.

Will answer what I can and what others already haven't :)

Just get familiar! Since you have kids, I'd recommend heading to the kids center to get registered and find out all of the info first. I always suggest to avoid the buffet on the first day and hit up the dining room for lunch, it's nice and quiet. Take your time, don't rush, and just enjoy.

There will likely be too many events for you to even keep track of. Browse through some of the threads here, and you can likely find copies of the Freestyle Daily (the daily program) from recent cruises that other CCs have shared. They obviously change cruise to cruise, but most of the daily activities remain relatively similar.

Alaska questions:

I live in Victoria.. so if you have any specific questions feel free to let me know. Victoria is the perfect place to get off and go for a walk. No real need to plan ahead. Fisherman's Wharf is a short walk from the pier (20 mins) and it's a great place to take kids to get ice cream and enjoy the scenery. Beacon Hill park is a big winner for kids, there's a big play park, a petting zoo and lots of space to run around.

Thanks! I’m not sure if anyone will want to be off the ship but it’s always better to have a plan.

We are also sailing on the Bliss this summer. 6/16/2018. I only have a few answers.

1. Yes kids are allowed in the hot tubs but remember the pool water is really cold on Alaska sailings so you will have a lot of adults in there and some times the adults are not very happy about a ton of kids in with them.

2. we have two family member members that have Celiac disease and I would not feel super safe about the cross contamination in the food. I would suggest a call in before hand. The head of dietary should be able to go over menu ideas for the cruise. If you do not need to worry about cross contamination, the buffet will have options.

3. On the first day enjoy getting to know the ship. Check in with the kids program that is age appropriate and meet so new friends.

Our little ones loved dancing to the live atrium music every night. Also Im not sure if there will be a glow party for the kids on this ship but it was fun painting teeshirts for the event. Shirts and paints provided by the staff.

Have fun!

I know buffets are a risk but they work so much better for our group generally. I’ve been searching the menus (though can’t find any of the new labeled ones or the kids menus) and I feel pretty meh about it. I’ll definitely be checking in on the ship when I figure out who and where that’s supposed to be on the Bliss and emailing beforehand.

I’ll be watching the Bliss dailies when it finally debuts and hopefully there will be a kids glow party (or a kids included Masquerade, not sure what that one involves).