Anyone else have trouble understanding.....

JGORD7

Does anyone else have trouble understanding what the Captain is saying over the sound system?? Last cruise was on RCCL & I couldn't for the life of me understand a single thing he was saying. Not very clear at all. Has it gotten any better? Just curious..

I can never understand what anyone is ever saying on those squawk boxes. With technology the way that it is, you would think that they would be very clear. Walt Disney World has it down pat. You can understand everything they are saying no matter where you are in the park.

It might have been the late George Carlin that did a drive through restaurant bit where a guy orders a hamburger, fries and a soda and the person on the speaker repeats the order with a bunch of garbled gibberish and ended with "... and a six pack."

On our last cruise on Conquest, I could not understand more than every 10th word over the PA during the emergency drill on the first day. Part of it was the poor PA system, part of the the captain's accent and part the guest's constant chatter as we were packed like canned sardines on the open deck.

Ahh yes, good old George Carlin, I remember that bit. Speaker sounded like the teacher in a Charlie Brown skit.:D

All I understood last cruise was something about water depth being holy s--t deep!:') Anyone for a swim?

OK, yes I know it gets deep out there.

you must have been sailing over the tongue of the ocean. that's deep!

nope, cant understand the captains at all. I don't speak Italian, and I know that I am cruising again with Kevin, right before he is getting off, so either he might be crazy! or burnt out and quiet. but telling me about sales when I would rather hear about sails, my brain turns off the sound as soon as it can.

You know the captain on the PA is bad, but when you think about it overall doesn't it apply to most people working on board.

Let us not forget the "Hoppy Bird Day" Song in the dining room. :')

I'm not so "good of hearing" myself and have given up trying to understand what comes over the ship's speaker system. I've also had to give up watching movies made in England. I can only understand about every fourth word in them. It's pretty bad when you can understand your own language.

Does anyone else have trouble understanding what the Captain is saying over the sound system?? Last cruise was on RCCL & I couldn't for the life of me understand a single thing he was saying. Not very clear at all. Has it gotten any better? Just curious..

Yes it's the accent.