Yellow Fever Vaccine Un-Availability & Is Substitute Accepted

Wayfairers

Called a few places the CDC has in the list of places that carry the substitute vaccine. They all have the substitute vaccine and you get the yellow card. They do not anticipate a shortage of the substitute vaccine. I was surprised to find prices varied from $190 to $235. Plus some places also charge an office fee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter needed the YF vaccine two years ago for travel to Ghana. We found our cheapest option was from a pharmacy (it doesn’t require a prescription). We live in metro Atlanta and there were a handful of pharmacies around that carried it. It’s possible you may find one that carries the substitute. We paid $150 for the vaccine and, of course, there was no office visit charge.

Good luck!

We did not want to take the risk of this as we were in Columbia at the start of a cruise (Yellow fever country) and went to Costa Rica late on (a country that required proof of yellow fever vaccine if recent visits to certain countries had been made).

I was about to say that we have done a cruise with both Colombia (Cartagena) and Costa Rica and no one ever asked about the YF vaccine. But then I remembered that we docked in Costa Rica before we docked in Colombia.

We got our YF vaccine anyway.