VOOM Info Request

When DW and I cruise we tend to disconnect from the rest of the world. But in 2020 we'll be taking our granddaughters on their first cruise on Adventure. They're really excited and we know they'll want to be able to stay in touch while on board. So can anyone tell us about VOOM?

1. Cost - how much? Per stateroom? Per person?

2. Does it work with multiple devices at once?

3. Does it work anywhere on the ship?

4. Can we, as guardians of our usually responsible girls, limit hours? For example, could we disable it between midnight and 8:00AM?

We really haven't had much luck finding info on the website - I know that's a real shocker. :D

See here for onboard costs: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55188055&postcount=105

Your Cruise Planner on Royal's website might have promos on VOOm pricing.

Works with multiple devices if you buy a multiple device package. All over the ship.

No capability to limit hours.

Thanks, Bob. The cruise isn't until April, 2020, so Cruise Planner wasn't very helpful yet. But the link is. Can't limit hours but we may be able to limit them to the sea days - that's devious grandpa thinking.

It is a multidevice concurrent connection package

I.E. you can buy a package that just allows one device to be logged in. Or you can buy a package that allows 2 devices to be concurrently logged in at the same time. Same for 3 and 4. It is not a per cabin limitation. If the people with the devices are split between cabins they can still share the package.

Last year I did a Med cruise with a bunch of in-laws. One of my wife's cousins daughter needed to make a periodic trip report to her classmates. A condition the teacher made for her parents to take her out of school during a non-holiday week.

I normally buy a two device package. I suggested to them that I buy a three device package with the understanding that they could only have only one device connected at a time. Just wanted them to re-imburse me for the difference between the 2 device package vs the 3 device package. The incremental cost that I was asking them to reimburse me for was less than what a one device package would have cost them.

It worked out great.

The wi-fi works throughout the ship. I have sailed on multiple RCCL ships without much issue.

Short of confisicatting their devices, there is no way to restrict their access. :)

It is a multidevice concurrent connection package

I.E. you can buy a package that just allows one device to be logged in. Or you can buy a package that allows 2 devices to be concurrently logged in at the same time. Same for 3 and 4. It is not a per cabin limitation. If the people with the devices are split between cabins they can still share the package.

Last year I did a Med cruise with a bunch of in-laws. One of my wife's cousins daughter needed to make a periodic trip report to her classmates. A condition the teacher made for her parents to take her out of school during a non-holiday week.

I normally buy a two device package. I suggested to them that I buy a three device package with the understanding that they could only have only one device connected at a time. Just wanted them to re-imburse me for the difference between the 2 device package vs the 3 device package. The incremental cost that I was asking them to reimburse me for was less than what a one device package would have cost them.

It worked out great.

The wi-fi works throughout the ship. I have sailed on multiple RCCL ships without much issue.

Short of confisicatting their devices, there is no way to restrict their access. :)

According the the link Bob posted above there is also a single day option. I just don't want them with their noses stuck in their iPads the entire cruise - there's too much to experience. So devious grandpa may propose (as in force on them) a compromise that gives them VOOM for the 2 sea days.

I like the trip report idea - kind of like the "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" reports we did 50+ years ago.