One day sightseeing in NYC after disembark at Port Liberty.

BrisQld

Hi we are Aussies cruising into Port Liberty on a Friday in Sept 2019.

We need to fly to Miami later that afternoon. We would like to have a bit of a look around NYC.

If our flight is at 6pm what time would we need to leave NYC?

What is the best way, with luggage to get to NYC from Port Liberty.

What are the ‘do not miss’ sights that are doable in one day?

Which airport would you suggest we fly out of to go to Miami?

Any help would be great?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi we are Aussies cruising into Port Liberty on a Friday in Sept 2019.

We need to fly to Miami later that afternoon. We would like to have a bit of a look around NYC.

If our flight is at 6pm what time would we need to leave NYC?

What is the best way, with luggage to get to NYC from Port Liberty.

What are the ‘do not miss’ sights that are doable in one day?

Which airport would you suggest we fly out of to go to Miami?

Any help would be great?

I'm assuming you're coming in on Adventure. Adventure is new to Cape Liberty this season and there is no experience yet with her arrival times and disembarkation timings. What exact date would you be doing this? How many people are you?

Could you manage your luggage on accessible public transit like a train?

Don't make any plane reservations until you decide how you want to spend your day. There are 3 airports in NYC and you need to pick the best one for your plans. You have to figure flight, transportation costs, and travel times before booking.

The first option is to find out whether your cruise will offer a New York tour with airport drop off. Newark Airport is the closest airport to Cape Liberty. This could be your easiest and most economical choice.

You aren't going to have as much time as you think. Even if Adventure docks early, you have the issue of getting into NYC during the morning rush hour and luggage storage. Figure about $100+ for a car service to Schwartz Travel on W 37th St in Manhattan to store luggage arriving about 10 am. On a Friday afternoon you also have the issue of rush hour traffic to get to the airport in the afternoon. For a 6 pm domestic flight you'd have to leave no later than 2:30-3 pm depending on the airport.

I'm assuming you're coming in on Adventure. Adventure is new to Cape Liberty this season and there is no experience yet with her arrival times and disembarkation timings. What exact date would you be doing this? How many people are you?

Could you manage your luggage on accessible public transit like a train?

Don't make any plane reservations until you decide how you want to spend your day. There are 3 airports in NYC and you need to pick the best one for your plans. You have to figure flight, transportation costs, and travel times before booking.

The first option is to find out whether your cruise will offer a New York tour with airport drop off. Newark Airport is the closest airport to Cape Liberty. This could be your easiest and most economical choice.

You aren't going to have as much time as you think. Even if Adventure docks early, you have the issue of getting into NYC during the morning rush hour and luggage storage. Figure about $100+ for a car service to Schwartz Travel on W 37th St in Manhattan to store luggage arriving about 10 am. On a Friday afternoon you also have the issue of rush hour traffic to get to the airport in the afternoon. For a 6 pm domestic flight you'd have to leave no later than 2:30-3 pm depending on the airport.

That’s very helpful information.

Our ship gets in on 27th Sept.

There is just the 2 of us and able body to manoeuvre luggage.

Thought about getting either a taxi or Uber to St George Ferry terminal and catching the Straten Island ferry. Pick up a taxi after the ferry to store our luggage. Then about 2.00 pick up luggage and catch ferry from Peir 11 Wall St to Astonia and then get an Uber from there to LGA.

Does that sound doable or is there flaws in this idea. I know we won’t have long to look around but we are good walkers.

That’s very helpful information.

Our ship gets in on 27th Sept.

There is just the 2 of us and able body to manoeuvre luggage.

Thought about getting either a taxi or Uber to St George Ferry terminal and catching the Straten Island ferry. Pick up a taxi after the ferry to store our luggage. Then about 2.00 pick up luggage and catch ferry from Peir 11 Wall St to Astonia and then get an Uber from there to LGA.

Does that sound doable or is there flaws in this idea. I know we won’t have long to look around but we are good walkers.

Very creative and interesting "out of the box" strategy. Going to St George will incur a $15 bridge toll in addition to the taxi or Uber price.

If you base yourselves in downtown Manhattan, we need to find you luggage storage.

There is talk of a ferry from Bayonne to New York. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2018/03/bayonne_may_soon_have_commuter_ferry_to_manhattan.html

Right now I would focus on what you really want to see and do in Manhattan with your limited time. Based on your sightseeing objectives we can make logistical suggestions. For example, if you like ferries, you might want to take an Uber to one of the NY Waterways or Liberty Landing ferries from Jersey City to go directly to midtown or downtown Manhattan instead of getting involved with Staten Island. This would be an easier trip during rush hour, so you could get going much earlier to maximize your time.

Are you definitely going to fly from LGA?

If you go to Schwartz Travel as Carol mentioned above, you’d be in midtown Manhattan. You could walk from Schwartz to the Empire State Building, Times Square and Rockefeller Center. Or another option would be to do a full loop of the HoHo bus without getting off. And if you wanted to save money you could then take the AirTrain from Penn Station to JFK. But this plan is all contingent on what time you can disembark. Another option is cab or Uber to LaGuardia

If you go to Schwartz Travel as Carol mentioned above, you’d be in midtown Manhattan. You could walk from Schwartz to the Empire State Building, Times Square and Rockefeller Center. Or another option would be to do a full loop of the HoHo bus without getting off. And if you wanted to save money you could then take the AirTrain from Penn Station to JFK. But this plan is all contingent on what time you can disembark. Another option is cab or Uber to LaGuardia

These are both good suggestions.

To get to LGA or JFK on a Friday afternoon, going crosstown, especially in September, is going to take longer than you think. Allow much more time than you think. I want to think 2:00 is fine; I probably wouldn’t go much later.

Will keep a watch out on an development of the Bayonne Ferry.

Lower Manhattan and Midtown are some of the areas we are interested in. Maybe HOHO bus would be a good idea.

We figure we will see the Statue of Liberty on the Ferry trip.

Looking more towards LGA flights as there are more to Miami and if we don’t go to late - not such a bad price. What do you think of my way of getting to LGA is that reasonable- hate being stuck in traffic wondering if we are going to make it.

Not sure what Schwartz Travel is? But Empire State Building Times Square etc. but also if time Wall Street Area. Anything is a bonus and better than sitting in an airport for hours on end.

Will have another look at JFK air flights, just thought that as we are only flying to Miami so go domestic.

Will think about this overnight. Schwartz Travel is a reputable luggage storage operation on W 37th St between Port Authority Bus Terminal and NY Penn Station, so convenient for airport buses as well as train to Newark Airpirt and JFK. However, it is NOT convenient if you take the Staten Island Ferry.

Do you think we would be better of staying the night in NY and flying to Miami the next day.

We are sailing on Symphony out of Miami so have to be there on the Saturday.

No. I'm a big believer in arriving the day before for a cruise.

Please email me at cc138east at gmail dot com to discuss your logistical options for midtown and downtown.

We just came home from a Celebrity Summit cruise disembarking in Cape Liberty. Unfortunately we purchased the ship transfer from Cape Liberty to Times Square for $45pp. It was very disappointing. We didn't leave the pier until 11:00am because of waiting on stragglers. Supposed to leave ship at 8:30 am but immigration lines were long.

Should have taken the taxi shuttle to Times Square which was $35pp. When you exit the terminal, go right across the street and you will see vans for taxi shuttle. There was also one to EWR for $20pp.

When the ship transfer finally dropped us off at Schwartz Luggage storage, we stored our luggage for $10 per bag for the day.($2.50 per hour per bag up to $10 total for day)

We toured NYC on foot and by using subway ($3 single ride). Our flight was at 8:40pm from LGA. We took NYC airporter bus from Port Authority to LGA for $16 pp. (10% discount if you download app). Boards in front of Port Authority on 42nd Street. Everything worked great except the Celebrity transfer.

We just came home from a Celebrity Summit cruise disembarking in Cape Liberty. Unfortunately we purchased the ship transfer from Cape Liberty to Times Square for $45pp. It was very disappointing. We didn't leave the pier until 11:00am because of waiting on stragglers. Supposed to leave ship at 8:30 am but immigration lines were long.

Should have taken the taxi shuttle to Times Square which was $35pp. When you exit the terminal, go right across the street and you will see vans for taxi shuttle. There was also one to EWR for $20pp.

When the ship transfer finally dropped us off at Schwartz Luggage storage, we stored our luggage for $10 per bag for the day.($2.50 per hour per bag up to $10 total for day)

We toured NYC on foot and by using subway ($3 single ride). Our flight was at 8:40pm from LGA. We took NYC airporter bus from Port Authority to LGA for $16 pp. (10% discount if you download app). Boards in front of Port Authority on 42nd Street. Everything worked great except the Celebrity transfer.

That's great information. Thanks for reporting back. What time did you take the airport bus from Port Authority and how long did it take to get to LGA? Excellent tip about downloading the app.

My suggestion for folks who are considering using the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty is to take a few minutes before boarding to find the taxis and get quotes. That will still leave you plenty of time to make alternative arrangements if that is your preference. IMO there is really no reason to book these transfers months ahead. If you go to guest services on the ship, you can usually book post cruise transfers with them if that is your choice.