Extensions/Air Travel Questions

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

There is more you need to know as you start this process, just to avoid surprises along the way. This is what I have learned as I have followed these boards and have gone through the process myself:

1. The price deal that Viking quotes on its website is a limited offer; it is not for every single flight plan and every single airline that flies from your home airport to your destination. Moreover, it might not be the cheapest price available (if that is what is important to you), but it does include transfers, unless you are 'deviating'.
  2. If you want a flight plan that is not among the ones they are offering, it will cost you. That cost is imposed by and determined by the airline, not by Viking.
  3. Custom air may not be available on all itineraries.
  4. Don't assume that just because another cruise line does it a certain way that Viking will be the same; Viking has its own way of doing things.
  5. The process is not cut and dry and depending on where you live and where you are headed, your results will vary compared to the various success stories you have read here.
  6. Do your homework. Read the Viking website (the fine print on the dates and pricing page, the FAQs and the Terms and Conditions). Check out flights on-line to learn what is out there (and how much it costs). The more you know in advance of your conversation with Viking, the better.
  7. If you are working with a travel agent, the TA has to make the call to Viking but you can be on the call with them.
  8. When in doubt, ask your TA and/or Viking.

When to book, if another one of those "it depends" kind of things. My TA likes 320 days before your scheduled return and beyond that I am not going to hazard a guess--nor quibble over 10 months vs 11 months or vs. 9.

Flights can be done before final payment. But if you want to be ticketed immediately, that may make a difference. Best to ask Viking Air if you do.

I might add one more “tip” to success on booking the flight you want at the best price. This also goes for searching on line for a number of items and services other than flights. When you do a search do it on a Private Page. With that there are no cookies left for the provider to see what you are interested in. Some use algorithms to boost the price if you search for something a number of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums