Royal Caribbean problem - Any suggestions?

We redeemed a certificate from Hilton Grand Vacations for a cruise on Royal Caribbean. A couple of days ago, we got an e-mail from them, letting us know they canceled our cruise, because they chartered it. They offered other dates, only one of which worked for us. They will also refund most, but not all of our airfare. We’re going to be out close to $100 I think. They offered $100 in on ship credit, and that’s just insulting.

We had planned on staying 5 extra days in Miami after the cruise, but now we probably won’t be able to. We realized the new dates have us flying home on the day before Thanksgiving, not a great travel day. Plus, we’d be exhausted from a 10 day trip, and it would be a real struggle to get everything ready for Thanksgiving. We’re not that young anymore. 😀

If we were retired with no restrictions like work, or if we hadn’t planned other things around the trip, it wouldn’t be so bad, but they have caused some significant problems for us.

Customer service has been completely inflexible with regards to offering more compensation. CSRs have told us nobody in the call center can change things because this comes from corporate. A supervisor actually told me nobody in the company can change the compensation. Another CSR told me I should consider the fact that they’re paying $100 to 3000 people, and that’s a lot of money. WOW!

So instead of trying to make customers they’ve intentionally inconvenienced happy, they insulted us with a ridiculous offer, in my opinion, anyway, and they try to tell me they’re out a lot of money.

There’s more, but I want to ask 2 things. Does anybody know someone at Royal Caribbean who could help a little? I’m not expecting a lot, but maybe an upgraded meal package or a drink package or something like that. It wouldn’t cost them much, and it would be great customer service.

Also, do you think I’m being unreasonable? Maybe I am, I dunno. Thanks!

My thoughts below

We redeemed a certificate from Hilton Grand Vacations for a cruise on Royal Caribbean. A couple of days ago, we got an e-mail from them, letting us know they canceled our cruise, because they chartered it. They offered other dates, only one of which worked for us. They will also refund most, but not all of our airfare. We’re going to be out close to $100 I think. They offered $100 in on ship credit, and that’s just insulting.

It sounds like you had a nearly free cruise, would be out around $100 and RCCL is offering to cover that through on-board credit. I'm not sure why that is insulting. It's regrettable that the plans changed, but it seems like the cruise line is offering something to try to make you whole.

We had planned on staying 5 extra days in Miami after the cruise, but now we probably won’t be able to. We realized the new dates have us flying home on the day before Thanksgiving, not a great travel day. Plus, we’d be exhausted from a 10 day trip, and it would be a real struggle to get everything ready for Thanksgiving. We’re not that young anymore. 😀

If we were retired with no restrictions like work, or if we hadn’t planned other things around the trip, it wouldn’t be so bad, but they have caused some significant problems for us.

The plus side is that you won't have the added expense of 5 days in Miami;) Is the cruise 10 days or 5 days? A 5 day cruise could leave you pretty tired, but a 10 day should give you lots of rest opportunities. If the cruise is important then I'd consider ways to reduce the workload for Thanksgiving. If Thanksgiving is more important then I'd consider canceling the cruise.

Customer service has been completely inflexible with regards to offering more compensation. CSRs have told us nobody in the call center can change things because this comes from corporate. A supervisor actually told me nobody in the company can change the compensation. Another CSR told me I should consider the fact that they’re paying $100 to 3000 people, and that’s a lot of money. WOW! $300,000 does seem like a significant expense to me. How much do you feel they should offer each passenger?

So instead of trying to make customers they’ve intentionally inconvenienced happy, they insulted us with a ridiculous offer, in my opinion, anyway, and they try to tell me they’re out a lot of money.

There’s more, but I want to ask 2 things. Does anybody know someone at Royal Caribbean who could help a little? I’m not expecting a lot, but maybe an upgraded meal package or a drink package or something like that. It wouldn’t cost them much, and it would be great customer service.

Also, do you think I’m being unreasonable? Maybe I am, I dunno. Thanks!

Based on what you wrote, your expectations do seem a little unreasonable. It sounds like you might not be happy though, whatever they offer. I recommend canceling this cruise and waiting until something else comes along that fits your schedule better rather than being 'stuck with' something you will regret and not enjoy.