Regal Princess TV / Internet issues

DougH

I guess I was the lucky one on the TA because TV and internet were generally good. Only 1 day did the movies not work. Internet had an occasional problem. Other than when docked in Rotterdam where we were surrounded by tall buildings, I good use email, FB and apps. Speed was good. Secondary or tertiary links though may or may not open. Being Elite we had unlimited access so the occasional outage was not a problem.

I would have speculated that since TV comes down to the same antennae

that do the internet uplinks that everyone else was complaining about...

But then firecrewcapt said that a cabin steward could fix his, so.. ::shrugs::

When I contacted our room steward he told me that he would get ahold of one of his tech buddies to solve the problem and it worked, that's how the steward took care of the tv issue for us. Only 40 cabins were affected with the same problem, so if your TV/Internet worked fine then you were not in one of the 40 cabins.

When I contacted our room steward he told me that he would get ahold of one of his tech buddies to solve the problem and it worked, that's how the steward took care of the tv issue for us. Only 40 cabins were affected with the same problem, so if your TV/Internet worked fine then you were not in one of the 40 cabins.

"It's not what you know...

It's not even who you know...

It's what you know about who you know!" :evilsmile:

Hi

Am just about to finish the Regal Princess TA from Ft Lauderdale to Copenhagen. Cruise itself has been nice, with decent weather.

What is totally unacceptable has been the TV and Internet service aboard ship. It was fine for the first day or two with the internet about as fast as I've ever seen it. Then the problems started with slow connections and spotty service. We had many days where it would not connect at all, even the last few days when we were docked in port.

Even worse was my in cabin TV. This would not work at all for basically the entire cruise. The only thing that would work is Live TV, which amounts to 3 news channels and a sports channel with mostly soccer. Any recorded content (Movie/ TV onboard shows) would start, play for 30 seconds then stop with a message that "content was unavailable" This included the daily Wake show and ALL recorded shows movies etc. I called probably 1/2 dozen times with the only answer "we are aware there are problems" I even came back to the cabin one day and the screen on the telephone said "searching for connection"

Totally unacceptable for any cruise let alone a TA where 8 or our first 9 days were sea days. I've been on 60 Princess cruises and have never encountered such a wide spread mess. My guess it is all related to the Ocean Medallion upgrade mess.

We were on same cruise and stayed on for the next voyage as well. Your comments are exactly a reflection of both the Ta and follow-on leg internet and tv issues. Worst we have ever seen. Leadership keeps saying "sorry", but no change, no compensation, no one seems to really care from:mad: a Princess company perspective.

We were on same cruise and stayed on for the next voyage as well. Your comments are exactly a reflection of both the Ta and follow-on leg internet and tv issues. Worst we have ever seen. Leadership keeps saying "sorry", but no change, no compensation, no one seems to really care from:mad: a Princess company perspective.

It would be nice to think all those who decided to have all that expensive MedallionNet stuff

installed on the Regal and then sent her out of range of the O3b satellites needed to make it

work were too busy updating résumés to respond.

Why can't Princess have an unlimited internet package for the entire cruise? It works with one person being online at a time within the cabin. This would be a better option. Norwegian has this and it worked better for us.

Why can't Princess have an unlimited internet package for the entire cruise? It works with one person being online at a time within the cabin. This would be a better option. Norwegian has this and it worked better for us.

They are starting to offer this on the ships which have been upgraded to also potentially have the Ocean Medallion. But so far the Regal is the only one with this unlimited Internet option

They are starting to offer this on the ships which have been upgraded to also potentially have the Ocean Medallion. But so far the Regal is the only one with this unlimited Internet option

When did the Regal have this? We were on the Regal late 2015 - and they still had the minute packages. Norwegian offers packages - minutes or the unlimited one for the entire cruise. It works better because you can use it when you want to without stressing if you have enough credits. It also works out cheaper in the long run. I hope Princess would offer this too.

When did the Regal have this? We were on the Regal late 2015 - and they still had the minute packages. Norwegian offers packages - minutes or the unlimited one for the entire cruise. It works better because you can use it when you want to without stressing if you have enough credits. It also works out cheaper in the long run. I hope Princess would offer this too.

Platinum and Elites have unlimited minutes due to the failure of ***** program on the Regal, only Regal right now.

Just disembarked the Regal TA as well and I totally agree with the OP. The Regal is marketed as having Medallion.net and being advertised as the fastest internet at sea. It did not work well once leaving the USA.... on on the TA portion nor in any of the ports. The Internet and ***** need lots and lots of work before it functions as they claim it will. We had a great cruise but was very disappointed in the technology aspect of the cruise. The Captain even apologized several times about the poor internet service and our room steward apologized regarding the TV issues. IT person said problems with the new system and European satellites. Don’t know anything about that.... just stating what he said.

We had the free unlimited internet but if I had paid I would have requested a refund!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How far from the mainland did internet work? We are thinking of scheduling the Regal for this summer to Caribbean. We really need internet for communication to home.

How far from the mainland did internet work? We are thinking of scheduling the Regal for this summer to Caribbean. We really need internet for communication to home.

Unless something else comes up, Caribbean bandwidth should be wondrous:

From upthread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55964349&postcount=32

We are thinking of scheduling the Regal for this summer to Caribbean. We really need internet for communication to home.

Checking the Regal’s schedule the ship is in Europe (Baltic’s) in summer 2018 & 2019 and not in the Caribbean.

Checking the Regal’s schedule the ship is in Europe (Baltic’s) in summer 2018 & 2019 and not in the Caribbean.

Thank you. Maybe the November dates can work for us. The only reason we want the Regal is for internet. I wish Princess would catch up with the other cruise lines.

::sigh::

"Details matter", don't they? :( And I shudda known (Check the Apr '19 Regal T/A rollcall) :rolleyes:

On a Caribbean cruise the Internet will usually work almost all of the time unless there is an equipment failure. If there is an equipment failure, it may take several days for parts to arrive at a scheduled port and repairs made.

I am on Regal at the Moment. I am getting the same speed as Navigator of the Seas which does not have o3b technology. We are near Copenhagen .
Thank you for posting.

I'm cruising the Baltic on Regal later this summer and am hoping internet will be working well. :cool: