Dawn or Gem - favorite cabin and why?

We've only sailed Dawn 3x (in a suite) so that's all we know; if there are other categories or specific cabins on either the Dawn or Gem that provide what you have found to be great value (ie particular location, cabins with a unique layout, or a larger than normal balcony, etc), I would love to know about them! (we would be traveling with a toddler, but open to all feedback from those with kids OR without!)

Suite prices seem to be through the roof this year; we've seen them increase year over year and maybe taking the last couple of years off is contributing to the sticker shock, LOL. Not averse to the suites of course but hoping to maybe save some $ in the process. I have noticed the last minute pricing seems to be more favorable but I don't know if that is in the cards for us at this point.

Sort of related, I also priced mini-suites on the Dawn and they are not *that* much less expensive than the full suite. Which I find interesting because for the additional ~500 or so (from what I've seen), you get the larger cabin and all of the extra suite perks. Just something I noticed.

We've only sailed Dawn 3x (in a suite) so that's all we know; if there are other categories or specific cabins on either the Dawn or Gem that provide what you have found to be great value (ie particular location, cabins with a unique layout, or a larger than normal balcony, etc), I would love to know about them! (we would be traveling with a toddler, but open to all feedback from those with kids OR without!)

Suite prices seem to be through the roof this year; we've seen them increase year over year and maybe taking the last couple of years off is contributing to the sticker shock, LOL. Not averse to the suites of course but hoping to maybe save some $ in the process. I have noticed the last minute pricing seems to be more favorable but I don't know if that is in the cards for us at this point.

Sort of related, I also priced mini-suites on the Dawn and they are not *that* much less expensive than the full suite. Which I find interesting because for the additional ~500 or so (from what I've seen), you get the larger cabin and all of the extra suite perks. Just something I noticed.

We just got off the Dawn and switched last minute from a 2 bedroom to the Deluxe Owners Suite (same price). I debated because this room does not have a balcony just the windows but went for it because it was my son’s first cruise so thought I’d be better without the baclony. It didn’t disappoint and I didn’t miss the balcony. They’re on Deck 12 at the very front of the ship. Location was great! Definitely worth it.

We just got off the Dawn and switched last minute from a 2 bedroom to the Deluxe Owners Suite (same price). I debated because this room does not have a balcony just the windows but went for it because it was my son’s first cruise so thought I’d be better without the baclony. It didn’t disappoint and I didn’t miss the balcony. They’re on Deck 12 at the very front of the ship. Location was great! Definitely worth it.
Thanks! How old is your son? How were the sleeping arrangements? Which cabin # if you don't mind me asking - I'm curious because I've seen them online and I noticed that some have a 2nd bedroom and some don't.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks! How old is your son? How were the sleeping arrangements? Which cabin # if you don't mind me asking - I'm curious because I've seen them online and I noticed that some have a 2nd bedroom and some don't.

He is 6. We got room 12000 as it has the second bedroom. The two middle ones have the second bedroom in it. It was perfect.

Been on Dawn/Star 3 times, Gem twice. Prefer Gem.

On Dawn/Star the DOS come in two configs. The inner ones are 2br with fewer windows and the outer are one br with sleeping for guests 3-4 on the couch. The living room is huge with views along the side.

We had a DOS on Gem which is really nice and a different layout all together.

Both ships the 2BR SC/H4 are really nice too.

Been on several NCL ships but my favorite is the Gem. Have sailed in everything from an inside to Haven 2BR Penthouse but my most favorite cabin was the forward facing penthouse suite that we spent the 11 night Gem sailing in. The balcony was HUGE.. you could seriously fit about 15 people out there..loved it for so many reasons including the fact that I never ever went to the pool deck. Butler delivered us lunch out there almost every sea day..it was heaven for me!

I feel like the 2nd bedroom would be key for us. I'm torn regarding the balcony. On the one hand she's young but on the other hand, it would be a nice place to hang out after she is asleep. (~2 at time of sailing, or 3 if we wait another year LOL).

Yes 2nd bedroom was definitely key for us as well!

Caution - mini suites do NOT come with suite perks. You basically get a bathtub, that's about it. It's a slightly larger balcony room with a bathtub.

The Dawn did not have the Great Outdoors (buffet) aft when we cruised. That may have changed, but for us it would be a deal breaker.

No change, no Great Outdoors on Dawn/Star.

we loved the 2 bedroom haven suite on Gem.

but the best cabin for value for us is the obstructed oceanviews on Deck 8. i personally will not sleep below deck 8 on any NCL ship. these give you natural light and a view of the outside, but you pay alot less as the view includes a lifeboat as well. but if you look carefully at the deck plans, some rooms are between boats or in front of a smaller boat.

We are a family of 5 (with older kids), and I’m considering the 2BR DOS for the Bermuda cruise this summer. Can you tell me if the pull out beds in the the second bedroom and living room are comfortable? I know your son is young, so it was probably very roomy for him, but I’m wondering if you were able to see how comfortable they are for adults? My 2 teenage girls would be in the 2nd bedroom, and my 21 year old son on the couch in the living room.

We are a family of 5 (with older kids), and I’m considering the 2BR DOS for the Bermuda cruise this summer. Can you tell me if the pull out beds in the the second bedroom and living room are comfortable? I know your son is young, so it was probably very roomy for him, but I’m wondering if you were able to see how comfortable they are for adults? My 2 teenage girls would be in the 2nd bedroom, and my 21 year old son on the couch in the living room.[/quote

They aren’t the most comfortable no. They are both couches that turn into beds but I have heard people asking for mattress toppers to make them more comfortable. On the other hand, the king bed was EXTREMELY comfortable!😊