Things to do on your own in Freeport & Nassau

Angel Dust

We will be boarding the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans, LA June 17th heading to Key West, Freeport and Nassau. This will be our first time to these ports and we are looking for things that we can do on our own. We have a 10 year old to consider. Any tips, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ardastra Gardens was a favorite of ours when we were in Nassau last summer. Your 10 year old would love it! You can hand feed the lory parrots -- it was an absolute hoot! Check for feeding times. You can walk right up to and among the flamingoes. There are peacocks wandering around loose. And you can walk right up to the macaws and take a picture next to them. We really enjoyed our afternoon here. It is unlike any zoo we have ever been to in the States, since you can get right up to and among some of the animals.

You can walk there from the cruise terminal. It is about a 30 minute walk, which will take you right past the straw market, junkanoo beach, and the famous "fish fry" which features many restaurants serving local cuisine. I'm sure you could also arrange a taxi if you prefer not to walk. Fort Charlotte is also nearby. So you could just create your own walking tour for the day, stopping at the Fish Fry for libations.

Have fun!

By the way, the walk to the Gardens would also take you right past the Pirate Museum. We have not visited it, so can't say how good it is, but your 10 year old might enjoy it.

I can recommend it, we thought it was really neat!

We love Nassau. There's a cheesy pirate musuem just off the port area. But where else better to see pirate stuff?! There's a walking tour listed on TripAdvisor. Climb the Queen's Staircase. The Poop Deck restaurant at the base of one of the Toll Bridges had great Conch. Nice to sit outside & watch the little fishing boats. Take a horse drawn carriage ride (but keep in mind it follows traffic on the road, so not always the experience you're looking for). The straw market is fun. There is also a Hard Rock Cafe right at port.

DH and I did a walk about several years ago-in the pouring rain-Pirate Museum-LOVED IT! (we are in our 60's) then we went to the Cathedral across the street from the museum-SO much history on the walls, lost sailors, death by epidemics, hundreds of years of information and beautiful stained glass windows. Then a stop at starbucks- and back to the ship. It rained so hard and fast that the water was up over the curbs, and flowing into the shops. But I think that made it even more special.;)

If you enjoy snorkeling check out Paradise Cove in Freeport. Awesome snorkeling, great food and beach. We've been there several times and enjoyed it each time. They'll pick you up at the port and return you to port.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app