hurricane season risky?

ryoko

We are booked on a cruise in late September (Western Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas). We are first time cruisers, traveling w/kids and flying from the west coast. We really don't want a spoiled vacation. Are we taking a big chance going this time a year? Are Cancun and other ports torn up from previous hurricanes?

Thing is ryoko, no never know. You could not do the cruise and book a resort and then the resort gets hit be a hurricane. There are no guarantees. Hurricane season starts in June and end in November and things could get messed up anytime at any place. I don't think it's a big chance you guys are taking but you should keep an eye on the weather that time of year. I've sailed in the Caribbean four times in September and once the itinerary was changed due to a hurricane but it was hit the month before and the port was closed. The other 3 times was smooth sailing. We've never had a bad experience and the hurricanes didn't wreck our fun. Don't worry about too much, chances are you guys will go on the cruise and have a great time.

We are booked on a cruise in late September (Western Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas). We are first time cruisers, traveling w/kids and flying from the west coast. We really don't want a spoiled vacation. Are we taking a big chance going this time a year? Are Cancun and other ports torn up from previous hurricanes?

If you want a guarantee that your vacation will not be spoiled, don't go on a vacation. That is the only way you can guarantee your vacation will not be spoiled. Even Disneyland has had to close down unexpectedly. If the port where your ship is scheduled to go is under a hurricane, the ship will go to a different port. Will a land based resort move out of the way if a hurricane is coming toward it?

If you are concerned about possible delays, buy insurance.

The Freedom of the Seas does not to to Cancun. It goes to Cozumel, which is near Cancun. Cozumel was hit very hard. However, by September of 2006 it should be back to normal, or at least very close to normal. For example, right now it has no dock. It used to have three docks that could handle about ten ships. So the ships that are going to Cozumel now are using tenders (which is what you will use in Grand Cayman and Labadee, as neither has, or had, a cruise ship dock).

Hi Ryoko, and welcome to the boards.:) To be frank, yes it is risky. But you have to realize that half the people who cruise do so during hurricane season, which is June 1-November 30, every year. Still - the ships sail at almost full capacity.

One problem that you might face is that if your homeport is in eminent danger from a hurricane, the air ports and port will be closed for that port. TAKE OUT INSURANCE, just in case.

If you're on a ship during a hurricane, you may miss a scheduled port, but you won't be in any danger, as the captain will take the ship out of harm's way. Maybe rough seas, but you won't be in the direct path of a hurricane.

It's a decision many thousands of people make every year, and you'll have to weigh your options. Personally, I usually cruise the first week in September. I drive to the port, so no worries about airlines.;)

And if you do have to miss a port, you will be on the best ship to be on as it will have more activities than any other ship at sea. Take the insurance, have fun, plan to enjoy yourself no matter what. If a hurricane does come up, the captain will go out of the way of it to ensure that you have the best vacation possible. This may mean changing ports or having extra sea days, but it's much better than being stuck at a land resort with no alternative if a hurricane is coming your way.

Hurricane season lasts half the year. Why avoid cruising for 6 months out of the year because there might be a hurricane. The cruise ships take all precausions to keep us out of harm's way when there are bad storms. You can hit a storm any time of the year.

Yes..you are taking a chance. I don't know how many of the responders live in Hurricane prone areas, but let me tell you, they're not something to be taken lightly. Also, consider that September is absolutely the hottest time of the year in the Caribbean! Why not sail out of San Diego to the Mexican Riveria?

Yes..you are taking a chance. I don't know how many of the responders live in Hurricane prone areas, but let me tell you, they're not something to be taken lightly.

I don't think anyone takes hurricanes lightly. I lost my beachfront home to Katrina, and am now living in a FEMA trailer. I still say September is my favorite month to cruise. Much safer on a ship out in the middle of an ocean than on land.....and that's a fact.:o

Yes..you are taking a chance. I don't know how many of the responders live in Hurricane prone areas, but let me tell you, they're not something to be taken lightly. Also, consider that September is absolutely the hottest time of the year in the Caribbean! Why not sail out of San Diego to the Mexican Riveria?

Do you believe she would be better off on a land based resort? When is the last time you saw a land based resort move out of the way of a hurricane? The cruise ships do exactly that.

The NCL Star sailed out of Los Angeles to the Mexican Riviera. It was late getting to its first port because of Hurricane Otis and ended up missing a port because of the same hurricane. Sailing out of San Diego would not have changed the fact that both sides of Mexico can be hit by a hurricane.

This will be our 5th cruise during hurricane season. We have never had a problem. As other posters have suggested, get the travel insurance that way if there is an interruption or delay to your cruise you're covered. Enjoy the Freedom it's supposed to be awesome.

Archived