Mobility issues on Liberty

GAPaige

Hello, we are set to sail on Liberty at the end of this month for my daughter's graduation. My mother is coming with us on this trip and has recently had hip surgery. She is using a walker/cane right now, but will be 100% cane supported by then, if everything goes as expected (she's doing great!). We are concerned about her standing for a long time during the muster drill. Is there any exception made for people in her situation to have a place to sit? She does have a handicapped parking pass and could definitely get a note from her doctor if necessary.

Thanks!

Sure there is a place for handicapped, usually the dining room.

Just ask a crew member and they will direct you there.

Id go a little early as the elevators go out of service and Ive had a few issues regarding mobility etc when it involves the elevators. Best to go a mite early. My sister has mobility issues, so we have done this quite a few times.

Hope your Mom continues her progression after hip surgery. Having cruised following a hip surgery, I too had hesitancies so signed up for handicapped boarding. Carnival provided a wheelchair for boarding only and a family member pushed me. There was a dedicated area and line for handicapped. It was wonderful not to be exhausted from standing in line and walking the distance to board. The muster drill was held in the dining room with no standing and there was one elevator for those not able to take excessive stairs. A crew member assisted getting the elevator.

You will all have a great time and just let Carnival know ahead of time for assistance.

You cant tell someone's IQ sometimes by just looking at them. My sister cant do numbers, hence she cant find our cabin by herself, I have to stick to her like glue.

Only a couple of times have we gotten separated, after the theater, where she started to get on a elevator going to wrong way and I almost missed it and had to reach in and pull her off and Im sure people thought I was just being rude.

Only huge problem with safty drill was on RCL, always seems to be RCL I complain about huh? They told me at the elevators only HC were allowed, and kept on and on arguing about me going with her. Do you really think it doesnt put me in a bad spot to have to say in front of my sister that she isnt mentally capable of going by herself? RCL staff really gave me a hard time and embarrassed my sister.

Thats why I say usually np, but its happened.

Hi GAPaige

I am really happy that your mother is progressing well in her rehabilitation. That being said, unless it is not practical for you, she should consider bringing her walker or better yet a wheelchair. There are many situations while cruising, aside from the muster where people have to stand or walk for long distances.

While your mother might be well enough to manage without discomfort, personally I would rather have the walker or wheelchair and not need it than finding one day that the walking is too much for her.

have a great cruise

Hi GAPaige

I am really happy that your mother is progressing well in her rehabilitation. That being said, unless it is not practical for you, she should consider bringing her walker or better yet a wheelchair. There are many situations while cruising, aside from the muster where people have to stand or walk for long distances.

While your mother might be well enough to manage without discomfort, personally I would rather have the walker or wheelchair and not need it than finding one day that the walking is too much for her.

have a great cruise

Thanks Nic! She flat-out refuses to consider the wheelchair, but we may possibly be able to get her to use her walker. She had the other hip done last year and recovered nicely and is working hard in her PT, so I feel like she should be OK in most cases. That said, the walker with the little seat on it might be a great thing for those times that she takes on too much (which she undoubtedly will).

Thank you all for your help-I definitely feel more confident that she will be given a safe place to sit during muster.

@GaPaige - When my dad was living we would ask him each cruise if he wanted a scooter for the trio. He always said he didn't need one, but we would rent one for him anyway. He glady used it on and off the ship.

This is to say if you can take a wheelchair better safe to have it than not. Whatever you decide I hope you and mom have a great time on the cruise.

Btw, we took a scooter, rolling walker with a seat, and a wheelchair. We had 3 balcony cabins where all of these were kept.

On a cruise prior to my hip replacement, "just in case" I took my walker with the seat compartment. Best thing I did as it kept me from having to ask for help . In the buffet line, with the plate on the seat, I used the walker for support. I could shop, put my purchase in the seat compartment, and take a rest as needed and then continue shopping. And while I didnt need it most of the time, it did give me a place to rest in line for the shows and for the elevators. It gave me the independence to go around by myself.

Hello.

Just off the Carnival Liberty today.

My sister broke her ankle and foot about 5 weeks ago. She is still non weight bearing.

She was able to go to the dining room with one more of our party for muster.

She used a borrowed scooter that she was supposed to use like a skate board, knee on a padded seat , use good leg to propel herself. She was so sore in legs after first use that she would just sit on the little seat and we would push her...lol

We had a great time.... We were in cabin 6379 so mid ship. We could get her back to room in quick time when her keester got sore from the seat.

Hope this helps... Enjoy your cruise.