world cup summer saint Petersburg.

Just checking in with fellow cruisers who may be using a day in SP to take in a world cup game. As the time time gets closer and questions arise maybe we can help on another out. If cruisers are there for the early games maybe they could pass information to the later game travels on the tread ( a kind of what worked and what did not).

If one plans to attend a world cup game you will need a FAN ID and game ticket. likely you would have secured this already. just general info for everyone. the world cup starts june 14 2018 . with respect to cruisers I guess it could only affect visitors to Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

the games in Saint Petersburg are : JUNE , 15, 19, 22, 26; JULY 3, 10, 14. game times schedule, between 1500 and 2100 hours.

the fan fest area is in KONYUSHENNAYA SQUARE.

the stadium looks to be just across the bay for the ship so it should be visible from the ship at night (twilight ) it should be light and be a cool sight.

question :

1) has anyone gotten any information with respect to disembarking the ship with the fan ID .

2)can one come and go on off the ship as one pleases or are there restrictions with this type of visa? I have foward a note to the Russian consulate with this question if i get an answer I will update too.

3) are you able to use the fan ID to disembark the ship on both days while in port?

4) has anyone gotten any information on "free public transportation on game day" I was wondering does this mean all public transportation or just the shuttles to the stadium.?

The fan ID works as a regular visa so you are free to go whenever you want.

The only free trains i have heard about is night trains going from Moscow to the other host cities.

I don't know about free transport to the stadium.

we are in SP on July 14 for the consultation final. thanks for the update with respect to the fan ID that was my understanding too. I thought that I read somewhere , to clear customs with the fan ID one had to present the ID AND a game ticket. that is why i stated to question the use of the fan ID the day after the event. We plan to travel independently in SP so the clearing of customs on both days in port is essential for us. I was also considering going down to the fan zone on sunday to see the final. I have not seen if that works with the time.

right but Sunday, after the Saturday game you will not have a ticket as the game will have been played . the question becomes how does customs view the cruise ship. If I entered the country via air then I would be processed by customs one time upon arrival and go to my hotel. I could enter 10 days before the world cup and stay 10 days after the world cup per visa free entry per fifa stipulation .I would not have to clear Russian customs to leave the hotel My concern is how port customs views a cruise ship. I maybe over thinking it but I do not want to be screwed on sunday when I go to disembark or when i get the the ship from the game and try to to out and experience the SP white nights. tnanks for the insight and reassurance Danish Viking. I hope you are planning to go to a game too!

Sadly no, Denmark is playing against Peru and Australia in Seransk and Samara and its way to expensive for me to travel there. The game against France is however in Moscow but that game quickly sold out and it will also be silly to travel all the way to Moscow for just one game.

we are in SP on July 14 for the consultation final. thanks for the update with respect to the fan ID that was my understanding too. I thought that I read somewhere , to clear customs with the fan ID one had to present the ID AND a game ticket. that is why i stated to question the use of the fan ID the day after the event. We plan to travel independently in SP so the clearing of customs on both days in port is essential for us. I was also considering going down to the fan zone on sunday to see the final. I have not seen if that works with the time.

My understanding is that you don't need to show a ticket to clear customs -- just the FAN ID and passport.

And if you think about it, that makes sense. Even if your game has already passed, that doesn't mean you won't get a ticket to a future game while you are in Russia.

I could be wrong, but I hope I am not, since we are in the same position as you: going to WC the first day our ship is docked, and then visiting SPB from the ship over the next two days.

Also see someone's experience with FAN ID at the Confederations Cup last year in Russia -- seems consistent with this: http://brasilfuteboltravel.blogspot.com/2017/07/russia-world-cup-2018-what-to-know.html?m=1

4) has anyone gotten any information on "free public transportation on game day" I was wondering does this mean all public transportation or just the shuttles to the stadium.?

See here: http://spb2018.com/en/pages/Free-pass/

It also says how to use public transit to go between the game and the cruise ship port:

Passenger port:

passenger-port.jpg

Passenger Port of Saint Petersburg "Marine facade" - the only operator of the sea terminal of the Passenger port of St. Petersburg. The Port complex includes seven berths for the reception of ocean-going ships, three cruise and one specialized cruise ferry terminal.

+7 (812) 303-67-40

St. Petersburg, shore of the Neva Bay V. O., building 1

To reach the Passenger port by public transport:

bus number 158

metro station: "Primorskaya"

Also, if you look at this page, the subway map shows a new station that is supposed to be opening this month, Novokrestovskaya station.

Once open, it should give very convenient access to the stadium. (http://spb2018.com/en/pages/transport/)

Assuming they open that new station before the World Cup, the trip on public transit from the cruise terminal should be relatively easy. You would take bus 158 from the cruise terminal to Primorskaya subway station. From there, you go one stop on the train to the new Novokrestovskaya station. From there, it seems to be a short walk to the stadium. No shuttle bus would be needed.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novokrestovskaya_(Saint_Petersburg_Metro)

thank you for that information! I poke around those pages but have not seen that one. It seems like there is always something new! this was a big help . I did see the extension of the green line to the stadium , BUT i did not see that it would be open for the WC games! thank you it was a big help . The bus 158 goes to Primsrskaya then one stop! After the game I was thinking about coming back to the ship the long way . During my research, the evening view from Strelka vasileostrovsky is suppose to be amazing and a little walk down nevsky prospekt to end the day might be nice slice of SP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

nnn, Saw on another post you are in Germany for a WC game . My wife and kids were in Munich for the last world cup , by dumb luck made a reservation for a restaurant one night from here. The game was on , the place was standing room only , they had a seat ( reservation) and the fans were energetic ( drums , horns , flags , etc. ) . I would call your tour company and have them make a reservation for your party ( family ) or make a reservation yourself.