Horizon, best of our eight cruises

kbklcamp

We ate in 555 Fahrenheit one night, but all the other nights were in the MDR and we both thought the food was so good and better than on the Vista. The service was always great. Every waiter was so friendly and even better, quick. We did not have good waiters on the vista and would have to ask over and over for water and for the dessert menu, and several times, gave up and left without dessert because our waiter, Joel, would just tell us he was busy and he'd get to us later, or he'd just wave us off. This group was completely different and even brought us an extra basket of the pumpkin seed rolls because we cannot get enough of them.

This was our first time to go to the Carnival steak house and we weren't impressed. Our waitress was very sweet but she had no problem saying no. i asked for several starters because I assumed just like in Royal Caribbean's Chops, I could order several. The waitress immediately said no, then thought about it and decided how to write the ticket and then allowed. I'm sorry to say those troublesome starters were not good. The French onion soup was from a can, I would guess, and good thick French bread did not top it, but an untoasted slice of wheat bread with just a smidgen of cheese. I also did not care for the lobster bisque, but that was probably just me. However, the bowl was delivered with a piece of lobster the size of a quarter and then cream was added, so there was just no lobster to flavor it.

the elevators have posters of the steak and lobster, which surprised us because we thought they might be too embarrassed to advertise the size of the steak. Wow, we wouldn't serve something that small to a guest, and with the $35 upcharge, that is just tacky and wrong. The lobster, too, was tiny, but great flavor. we went with the presentation dessert, which was fun and I'll post the pictures and maybe the video. I wanted to take some of the candy back to our cabin, but the waitress said no, they had no sort of takeout plate or container. We also sat for long periods with our used plates and waited way too long for each course, but one mitigating factor was the piano bar was open to 555 and we could hear the pianist while we waited on our courses. We met him, too, on a city bus to Poetta in Sardinia. Overall, the dinner was just not an impressive experience, but we used OBC to pay for it, so that took out some of the sting.

However, the rest of the time on the ship was absolutely impressive. We cut our time short in both Sardinia and Marseilles to get back onboard. We love the spa. Loved those warm gold tile loungers. The spa are is so pretty and we found it hard to beat lying on a lounger reading and looking out at the sea.

Eko, our steward, kept the cabin spotless, turned down beautifully and is the only steward we've ever had who left our towel animals for us so we had all seven at the end of the cruise. He supplied us with our pins and water bottles and was unfailingly friendly and nice with whom to chat. Hope we see him again sometime.

We just went to a few comedy shows, but we always go the early ones, and then we realized would rather be outside reading. I got several books from the wonderful library: a guidebook for Sardinia, one among many, many travel books, and the other a good novel. We went to the main show every night and the performers were very energetic and had four people with incredible voices.

The outstanding crew makes the Horizon, we think, and the cruise director is the star. He is everywhere talking to people and shaking hands and smiling. He helped get people seated for the shows and most impressive, he helped people get organized and moving for disembarkation. He actually grabbed my bag and directed someone else to grab my husband's and got us all moving down the stairs. We were off the ship and in our taxi to the BCN in 10 minutes. I checked my watch and we got to the Liquid Lounge at 5:40 for walk off, knowing we wouldn't be cleared till 6. at 6, Pack moved us out, and including the 20 minute taxi ride, we were in the airport at 6:40 waiting for Delta to open. Fantastic.

We loved our cruise, loved the fabulous sights, and can't wait to go back.

"The French onion soup was from a can, I would guess, and good thick French bread did not top it, but an untoasted slice of wheat bread with just a smidgen of cheese"

There is no way they would EVER sell soup from a can. Not sure I ever heard a description like this as the Onion Soup (wheat bread, seriously) has been excellent, every time. BTW a Bisque is a creamy soup, most don't have pieces of lobster, it's served as a garnish. My wife said it was one of the best Lobster Bisque she ever ate. The steaks are huge and displayed on a presentation tray. We have always order a soup, salad, and app without question.