Question about the Restaurants on the DAWN

takeadip

Hi Fellow Critics:

My family and I will be on the Dawn next May 19' and are staying in a Family Suite which I believe has Haven benefits (just no ACTUAL haven) that said...we have (3) dinners included at the fancier restaurants on the ship...do we pick from the ones with a set additional charge ie. $24.99/ pp or can we also chose an Al La Carte restaurant? If so what would our meal limit be?

Last time we sailed we were in a (2) bedroom Haven on the Breakaway which had its own restaurant where we ate almost every night so it was easy.

Also, I know food is so subjective...are there some restaurants on the Dawn that you could highly recommend as a "dont miss" for using our (3) dinner allotments?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Best,

Mark

Hi Fellow Critics:

My family and I will be on the Dawn next May 19' and are staying in a Family Suite which I believe has Haven benefits (just no ACTUAL haven) that said...we have (3) dinners included at the fancier restaurants on the ship...do we pick from the ones with a set additional charge ie. $24.99/ pp or can we also chose an Al La Carte restaurant? If so what would our meal limit be?

Last time we sailed we were in a (2) bedroom Haven on the Breakaway which had its own restaurant where we ate almost every night so it was easy.

Also, I know food is so subjective...are there some restaurants on the Dawn that you could highly recommend as a "don't miss" for using our (3) dinner allotments?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Best,

Mark

DH and I were recently in an SJ suites (Bermuda cruise), which does receive all suite perks on the Dawn. We were invited to eat in Moderno for Breakfast and Lunch each day (Breakfast: 7:00 to 9:30 am, Lunch: Noon to 1:30 pm).

We are very fortunate that we had the opportunity to dine at 5 Specialty restaurants (3SDP and 2 Platinum Plus). We chose Cagney's twice (loved it both times), Le Bistro (always enjoy), Moderno (good food and plenty of it, but while we are glad we tried it, it's not one of our favorites... too much salt!). We also went to Los Lobos (good, but again, not a favorite, as we get plenty of great Tex-Mex/Mexican in Houston).

To answer your last question...

IF you are interested in Ala Carte restaurant(s), be sure to book them after you select the Per Person Charge restaurant(s). The online system "sees" your SDP and will allow you to book PP restaurants (without prepaying) if a SDP credit exists. Since the Ala Carte restaurants are such, the system doesn't know what to charge you, so you will not have to prepay any for those.

Hopefully, my answer makes sense and is helpful for you!

Teppanyaki is good especially if you have kids.

The area where your suite is on Deck 12 is generally very quiet and close to the pool with the buffet just past the pool. Up a couple decks to a bar or up and forward to front deck area.

DH and I were recently in an SJ suites (Bermuda cruise), which does receive all suite perks on the Dawn. We were invited to eat in Moderno for Breakfast and Lunch each day (Breakfast: 7:00 to 9:30 am, Lunch: Noon to 1:30 pm).

We are very fortunate that we had the opportunity to dine at 5 Specialty restaurants (3SDP and 2 Platinum Plus). We chose Cagney's twice (loved it both times), Le Bistro (always enjoy), Moderno (good food and plenty of it, but while we are glad we tried it, it's not one of our favorites... too much salt!). We also went to Los Lobos (good, but again, not a favorite, as we get plenty of great Tex-Mex/Mexican in Houston).

To answer your last question...

IF you are interested in Ala Carte restaurant(s), be sure to book them after you select the Per Person Charge restaurant(s). The online system "sees" your SDP and will allow you to book PP restaurants (without prepaying) if a SDP credit exists. Since the Ala Carte restaurants are such, the system doesn't know what to charge you, so you will not have to prepay any for those.

Hopefully, my answer makes sense and is helpful for you!

Very helpful info...so if i walk into a al la carte restaurant can i use (1) of my (3) dinners?

that seems like a grey area...I haven't seen it discussed on the boards.

Teppanyaki is good especially if you have kids.

The area where your suite is on Deck 12 is generally very quiet and close to the pool with the buffet just past the pool. Up a couple decks to a bar or up and forward to front deck area.

Thanks for the info...Yes we have a son (8) and a baby who will be 18 mos at sail date...(which is why we wanted a larger room..

If you like the idea of eating at Los Lobos, you don't want to use your dining plan meal for that (unless you really intend to order everything on the menu!) The servings are huge and the prices are low -- if you pay out of pocket, you could easily share an appetizer and each get an entree for under $35 (combined) and not have room for dessert . Plus chips and salsa which they bring for free. You can look at the menu and see that the entrees are usually under $10 (or were last time I went). We're big eaters and there was a LOT of food left over for us.

As others have pointed out, be sure to alert them that you do NOT want your meal plan charged for that meal. Since the entrees in Cagneys/Le Bistro can run over $20, you get the most for the plan in those restaurants.

If you like the idea of eating at Los Lobos, you don't want to use your dining plan meal for that (unless you really intend to order everything on the menu!) The servings are huge and the prices are low -- if you pay out of pocket, you could easily share an appetizer and each get an entree for under $35 (combined) and not have room for dessert . Plus chips and salsa which they bring for free. You can look at the menu and see that the entrees are usually under $10 (or were last time I went). We're big eaters and there was a LOT of food left over for us.

As others have pointed out, be sure to alert them that you do NOT want your meal plan charged for that meal. Since the entrees in Cagneys/Le Bistro can run over $20, you get the most for the plan in those restaurants.

This is great advice!!! Thanks so much

Very helpful info...so if i walk into a al la carte restaurant can i use (1) of my (3) dinners?

that seems like a grey area...I haven't seen it discussed on the boards.

Yes, you absolutely may! In fact, they will probably tell you you have "x" number of the 3 dinners available, and probably will ask (to make sure) if you intend to use one.