Steakhouse reservations. This is getting weird.

I just sent in and received a confirmation for the Breeze steakhouse for 8pm on November 3rd. I do think that a lot of people make reservations for multiple nights then change their minds or don't show up when on board. Last time we were on the Breeze (Oct 2017) the steakhouse was FULL when we arrived for our 7:30 pm reservation.

I'm sure some people don't know which night they'd like to eat there, because they don't know what the MDR menu will be each day, ahead of time. Also, especially for new cruisers, they don't even know the steakhouse is there, let alone you can go online and make reservations for it. So, I'm sure they like to allot a decent amount of tables for those folks that stop by the MDR, don't see anything they want, and then head over to the steakhouse to eat there.

I always make our reservations much further in advance. Our legend cruise this summer was made back in January. Just last night I made steakhouse reservations for our Horizon cruise in May 2019. Over a year out. The option was there on "My Cruise Manager" when looking over stuff. It opens at 5:30 and offered time slots every half hour to choose from. I chose 6:00. The same as our dining room time. We eat between 6:30 & 7:00 at home regularly. Sometimes 6:00 if I can get it cooked by then after work.

Yes, this is exactly what we did, used My Cruise Manager. I chose the time slot I wanted and each time they have emailed me back to say they can't do that time, but can take us at 5:30.

It's interesting to hear that so many of you have had the same experience of being able to get last minute reservations. Sounds like it shouldn't be a big problem to change our reservation once on board. I know you CAN make reservations very far in advance, and obviously some of you do, but I didn't think it was essential. As many have said, the Steakhouse is not always full to capacity.

Once your reservation is confirmed, does it show up anywhere in My Cruise Manager or on your documents once you print them?

Bar1068, your experience of being made to wait when many tables were empty (and remained so) just sounds like poor service to me. Not what you would expect from what is supposed to be their top dining venue. At any rate, we are looking forward to trying it again. It has been six years since we ate at the Steakhouse on the Breeze, and I still remember everything we ate -- especially the chocolate sampler! Yum!

I didn't read where the OP stated what ship and sailing they are on, and I do feel that can affect specialty dining reservations. There's probably an algorithm that is based on the # of Diamond, Platinum and other guests celebrating weddings. who would be more likely to dine in the Steakhouse, that guides the Maitre'D into alloting time windows for an anticipated % of these guests. So some time slots might be "reserved" 2 months in advance for those guests who get priority or guaranteed reservations, esp. longer Journeys cruises or those on the newer ships when there are more of the loyalty perk folk sailing.

I'm in the minority about believing that the Steakhouse (and most excursions) get sold out. I think that is just snake oil that the line promotes to boost sales. I eat in the Steakhouse at least once per week long cruise (so maybe 20+ times so far) and have never seen all the tables occupied. And every night before the next port, I generally hear the CD shilling about "there are still some places available" on various excursions, but hurry to the excursion desk before they completely sell out.

Ok, so maybe I'm wrong. It has been several years since we cruised Carnival. But I do remember them pushing the Steakhouse hard once on board, truly last minute reservations. I didn't think two months was cutting it close. It just seemed weird to me that EVERY night we have requested is unavailable, EXCEPT for that 5:30 time slot. Seems oddly coincidental.

So if they are trying to get two seatings, what time would the second seating be? They have only offered us 5:30 pm which seems really early for most people. Or do most people commonly eat their evening meal that early?

I have yet to see a steapk house sold out each night. Like you saw I seen them pushing this every night of each cruise.

I believe because you tried so many times to take a bunch of reservations could be why you are flagged.

I also know that 7-8 is the greatest amount of time reservations are made-- this is high peak dining time.

I would wait til you got on the ship to figure out what you want to do