Barcelona

I will be staying in Barcelona for a few days before and after my Celebrity cruise this Fall.

I will be traveling with my 87-year-old Father.

We are staying in the “old town” area of Barcelona in a very respectable hotel.

My question is this; Is it safe to walk around Barcelona in the evening as I have heard there are numerous pick pockets and also people will approach you & rob you.

t

the main problem with Barcelona is that pickpocketing is regarded as a minor crime with fine of 300 euros and slap on wrist

so doesn't take much for thieves to make that fine up!

however mugging implying violence is rare

they will relieve you of your belongings by stealth or misdirection

you can take extra precautions by having only essentials with you and valuables stored in hotel safe

problem is if theft occurs before you can get them into safe!

Be aware in Barcelona that some of the older areas of town are very noisy at night as nightlife often only starts at midnight so revellers are out until the early hours. Spain Day Tours have a map on their website of where the 'undesirable' districts if the city are - they may not be where you expect! I'd recommend checking your hotel location on it. Where are you staying?

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

The evening is perfectly fine. Yes there are pick pockets and scam artists as in most European cities. Be aware.

The bigger problem for your father will probably be the heat and the walking. I would suggest asking the hotel for restaurant recommendations nearby and taking taxis to places further afield.

Normally I would suggest the metro as it is very safe and easy to use. However...there is quite a bit of walking in the stations and a lot of stairs.

Don't be put off by the metal garage like shutter doors covered in graffiti in most areas. It does not mean it is a bad area...most places are covered in graffiti.

You will find the area from the Maremagnum shopping area on the water up Las Ramblas to Plaza Catalunya and the streets right around there are perfectly fine. BUT they will be crowded.

Drink lots of water and have a great time.

• 2 months later...