Using Uber in Pureto Rico for Hotel/Airport Pickup and Dropoff

MACE

Seems that the airport issue has been resolved, as Uber is quoting me a fare from the airport to my hotel, with a wait time of 4 minutes. I will report back my experience on Friday.
Looking forward to your report and experience.

Sent from my 5049W using Forums mobile app

Seems that the airport issue has been resolved, as Uber is quoting me a fare from the airport to my hotel, with a wait time of 4 minutes. I will report back my experience on Friday.

Did you use Uber and if so, how was your experience at the airport?

Didn’t use it from the airport. The app first said that there were drivers available within 5 minutes, but could not proceed with the request. After restarting the app, the usual pickup limitation message was displayed.

Also, didn’t work from the Pan American Pier.

• 1 month later...

Great info on using Uber...Looking to do the same Water Beach Hotel but leaving directly from the cruise port. However we will be 4 adults and 2 kids (6yr old).....

wondering how that would work.

quote=MACE;56080249]Go figure, the first time we ever use Uber, is outside the country.

On 5/5/18 we disembarked from AOS in San Juan and spent two days in Old San Juan @ the

Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel.

The Hotel Concierge and Bellhops told us Uber couldn't pick us up right outside the Hotel to take us to a beach, that we had to go outside to Uber's designated 'pickup' spot around the corner, without being specific where that was.

We walked outside and asked a 'taxi dispatcher' where is the Uber pickup? I understand his attitude, but he nearly jumped down my throat saying he doesn't work for those money grabbing you know whats, and just walked away.

Well, we downloaded the Uber App, found their pickup spot, and waited just 4 minutes with a description and color of the car (it turned out to be a brand new Kia Sole with like 5000 miles on it), that the Uber app told us what car was picking us up.

The driver was young 20s, didn't speak too much, but dropped us off exactly where we wanted at the WBC Hotel/Isle Verde Beach for like $11 and was surprised we tipped him (transaction was cashless, went right to the CC we entered into the App)

Did Uber back to the Sheraton and our driver (older in his 60s, very talkative, gave us highlights and history of the areas we drove past), told us just that weekend, Uber and the Commerce/Tourist Departments came to an agreement that Uber can now pickup/drop off theirs paxs at Hotels and the Airport, with him dropping us off right in front of the Lobby and the Bellhops having no problem with his car being there with a big UBER sign on the front dashboard.

We did not use Uber to the airport, has anyone tried them for drop-off @ the airport?

Overall, a very good experience using Uber in PR.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you should have no problem using Uber from the port to the Hotels (or to beaches)

This is the Uber San Juan Link: https://www.uber.com/cities/san-juan-pr/

We did not use Uber from the port to our Hotel, or from our Hotel to the port, but we found no problem in May using them for transportation to and back from beaches from Old San Juan, being dropped off right in front of the Sheraton on the way back from the beaches

Edited by MACE

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, MACE said:

I believe you should have no problem using Uber from the port to the Hotels (or to beaches)

This is the Uber San Juan Link: https://www.uber.com/cities/san-juan-pr/

We did not use Uber from the port to our Hotel, or from our Hotel to the port, but we found no problem in May using them for transportation to and back from beaches from Old San Juan, being dropped off right in front of the Sheraton on the way back from the beaches

I used this to estimate the cost to Uber from the Airport to the Sheraton Old Town San Juan and the Taxi fare was exactly the same.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 5:16 PM, 50SumthinCruisers said:

I did an UBER estimate on a mock reservation to pick up from an Isla Verde hotel to the cruise port, and it allowed to process a price.  Could someone please update me as to access UBER has to pick up and drop off at the cruise port and airport now??

Thanks in advance!

Uber can now pick you up and drop you off at any of the hotels in the Old San Juan, Condado and Isla Verde areas. They might have designated pick-up areas so check with the hotel. You can get Uber to/from the cruise piers (again, a designated area might be involved). You can get Uber to drop you off at the airport but they can't pick you up at SJU. There has been instances that the app allows rides to be booked from SJU but they will soon cancel the ride without a charge due to the restriction.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 3:10 PM, Stinger-pr said:

Uber can now pick you up and drop you off at any of the hotels in the Old San Juan, Condado and Isla Verde areas. They might have designated pick-up areas so check with the hotel. You can get Uber to/from the cruise piers (again, a designated area might be involved). You can get Uber to drop you off at the airport but they can't pick you up at SJU. There has been instances that the app allows rides to be booked from SJU but they will soon cancel the ride without a charge due to the restriction.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Waiting to see if anyone can update: Can we use Uber from SJU to our hotel in OSJ?  We know you can Uber from cruise terminal or hotel..to SJU.  Is it still "taxi only" from SJU?  Thank you.

Nope. It hasn't changed. Under still cannot do pickups at SJU. They can only drop off.