Which itinerary from New Orleans January 2019

azjim66

Trying to plan a cruise on the Dream from New Orleans for January 2019. I think the group prefers early to mid January. The options are: Cozumel, Montego Bay, and Grand Cayman (Jan 6-13/20-27). Key West, Nassau, Freeport (Jan 13-20) or late January at Mahogany Bay, Belize, Cozumel (Jan 27-Feb 3). For that time of year would the Bahamas be a little on the cooler side potentially for swimming/beach stuff? I am guessing that at that time of year that Jamaica, Cozumel, Belize or Roatan might be warmer than the Bahamas? I would love to hear from folks who have done these itineraries at that time of year. Thanks in advance!!

I did the Bahamas itinerary on the 1/28/18 sailing. It was cool, but I didn't need a jacket. I prefer cooler temperatures, even when swimming. I don't have a suit, so swimming was out. I took the Old Town Trolley Hop On, Hop Off tour in Key West. It is cheaper through Carnival. I didn't do any excursions in Freeport and Nassau. I got off the ship in Freeport for about 30-45 minutes to look in the shops and then got back on the ship. I took a carriage ride in Nassau. I still sweated a little bit in Nassau when walking from the ship to the McDonald's across the street from the British Colonial Hilton.

High/Low Temperatures

Your Dates This Year

Key West 1/15/18: 67°F/59°F

Freeport 1/16/18: 71°F/61°F

Nassau 1/17/18: 76°F/70°F

My Sailing

Key West 1/30/18: 68°F/62°F

Freeport 1/31/18: 69°F/60°F

Nassau 2/1/18: 78°F/58°F

Trying to plan a cruise on the Dream from New Orleans for January 2019. I think the group prefers early to mid January. The options are: Cozumel, Montego Bay, and Grand Cayman (Jan 6-13/20-27). Key West, Nassau, Freeport (Jan 13-20) or late January at Mahogany Bay, Belize, Cozumel (Jan 27-Feb 3). For that time of year would the Bahamas be a little on the cooler side potentially for swimming/beach stuff? I am guessing that at that time of year that Jamaica, Cozumel, Belize or Roatan might be warmer than the Bahamas? I would love to hear from folks who have done these itineraries at that time of year. Thanks in advance!!

We took grand cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel. Jan 7th of last year. Plenty warm weather for beach. Water a little cool when you first get in but fine once you do. You’ll love the Dream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The further south you cruise that time of year, the warmer it tends to be. Keep in mind it also tends to be windier in the winter months. Provided the weather is good, Key West could be pleasant in January--not too hot for exploring on foot. If you want beach experiences though, you'd probably be better off cruising further south in January.

Thanks everyone for the great information! We have several couples going and trying to lock down a date is challenging. My guess is we will shoot for the 20-27 to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Most likely arriving in New Orleans a few days prior to enjoy the city. This will be the first time sailing from New Orleans. Are there any restrictions with Cheers like Galveston? or are we good to go right away?

Thanks everyone for the great information! We have several couples going and trying to lock down a date is challenging. My guess is we will shoot for the 20-27 to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Most likely arriving in New Orleans a few days prior to enjoy the city. This will be the first time sailing from New Orleans. Are there any restrictions with Cheers like Galveston? or are we good to go right away?

No restrictions.

Hope you have a great time down here before your cruise! Lots of great food and drinks to indulge in!

Thanks!!. Our group just booked the Jan 20-27 cruise to Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Cozumel. We were lucky to get 4 balconies all next to each other on the Verandah Deck. We haven't been to those ports before so this will a fun adventure. My wife and I have been to New Orleans once before and an extended road trip through the south with our 2 teen boys. We had 2 fun nights there but we are definitely looking forward to another visit without the kids!! Probably get there 2-3 days prior to the cruise. You are not kidding about the food either amazing!! can't wait.

Thanks!!. Our group just booked the Jan 20-27 cruise to Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Cozumel. We were lucky to get 4 balconies all next to each other on the Verandah Deck. We haven't been to those ports before so this will a fun adventure. My wife and I have been to New Orleans once before and an extended road trip through the south with our 2 teen boys. We had 2 fun nights there but we are definitely looking forward to another visit without the kids!! Probably get there 2-3 days prior to the cruise. You are not kidding about the food either amazing!! can't wait.

Great Choice! (y)

I might do that itinerary too in February, I hope you like it! I'd say it was definitely a good choice to stay away from the Bahamas that time of year. The other two were a toss up.

I agree on the toss up. We had folks that just couldn't be off work in February as it turned out and the itinerary that went to Mahogany Bay/Belize/Cozumel would have ended Feb 3. So we picked the Western Caribbean week that we could get balconies all next to each other. I am sure we will have a blast before and during the cruise!