1 day in Madrid Help Needed

We are taking a post cruise extension with our cruise. We arrive in Madrid at 7:00pm after touring. The next day, there is the standard 1/2 day tour of Madrid and then we’re on our own starting at lunch.

Does anyone have a good tapas or authentic Spanish cuisine restaurant to recommend near the Melia Princess ?

Also need a recommendation for a flamenco show.

Probably going to visit the Royal Palace unless there is a better recommendation.

And we love to spend time in parks so we will do that too. So maybe a recommendation for a place to pick up a sandwich for lunch but I’m sure they’re all over.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You wouldn’t have time to see the Prado, but would have time to go to the Reina Sofia and see Guernica. While, we are not fans of Picasso, this is our favorite art piece, bar none, because of how it conveys its message.

Across the street is Retiro Park...lovely large park, but watch your footing. I fell running there so I also got a tour of the Spanish medical system for the stitches I needed.:D

For lunch, try the Mercado San Miguel. It’s a large upscale food hall. https://foursquare.com/v/mercado-de-san-miguel/4adcda40f964a5206e3e21e3?openPhotoId=5b0169c9a0215b002c266157. This is probably closer to the Palace area than the museum/park area.

For tapas, we enjoyed El Sur - delicious! It's not super close to your hotel but is easy to reach via metro (#3). If you want something closer, the Origen is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel - we had a nice dinner here. Haven't tried anything else in the area where you are staying.

There are lots of places to eat near the Royal Palace (we didn't partake). I remember walking past quite a few places on Plaza de Ote (right across from the palace). We actually visited the Cebada Market (about a 15 min walk from the palace) - large market hall with great variety & good prices.

We enjoyed our visit to the Royal Palace - particularly the armory. From the palace, we also walked to San Francisco El Grande Basilica (approx 10 mins) - quite impressive.

You won't have time for the Prado? IMHO, it is one of the best art museums in the world.

San Miguel market is closer to the palace (about 6 mins according to Google) than the Cebada (although I have not visited, if pressed for time, this may be your best choice). Enjoy your time in this fascinating city - you will probably be back.

San Miguel is an interesting experience but rather pricey for what you get. Technically tapas are there but also other kinds of food. 10 min max from Royal Palace. Calle Cava Baja (may be 10 min from San Miguel) has lots of tapas bars. If you want cheap jamon lunch can go to second floor of Musee de Jamon on Puerta Del Sol (across from Apple store). They used to run "special" for couple of big plates of Jamon (can choose), jug of beer and bread for 11-12€. They got wine in that special but it's just the name ( mix of wine and soda).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. Sometimes it’s harder to decide when given such great choices. I did consider the museum, but since I have had the opportunity to visit other museums I had to pass this time.

Keep abreast of closings of the Palace...which they do close for Royal events. We passed on our first day...but, came to find out it was closed for our three other possible days (one was spent in Toledo so that was a no-do day). We only saw it from the outside. This was after the Paris bombings, so that may have affected closings.

Sorry, I can’t help with restaurants, after you were so kind to help me with a great suggestion for NYC...but, we were staying in the museum area. We did eat at a Valèncian Paella restaurant relatively close to Paza Major for two of our four nights that we liked very much, but it is not close to your hotel. If you are interested I could try and figure out the name.