Irie Tours in Curaçao...Carnival Horizon Next April

pirate4me2

I used a credit card to pay (you pay at the end of the tour) a couple of weeks ago, and the tour driver called ahead and had someone from the office meet us with a credit card scanner right where he left us off outside the port so it made it easy.  I've gone with Irie twice (the 3 hour and 6 hour tours), and have found them to be fun (if you like the wind in your hair & accessing beer or water on your own in the back of the open-air bus) ... informative ... and a great bargain for what you get in the tour (just$25pp for the 3 hour, I think the longer one a couple of years ago was $65pp).  They even give you some beach options at the end of the tour.

We did the West Beach Hopping Tour with Irie a few weeks ago. It was fantastic...the highlight of our entire cruise. I booked several months in advance, and Irie impressed me pre-cruise when they proactively reached out to reschedule our tour day due to an itinerary change. This was before we'd even heard about the change from our travel agent!

We were met at the cruise port. The tour adjusted to the timing of the ships arriving that day. I really enjoyed the variety of the tour...it wasn't just beaches. We also stopped to see flamingos and at Shete Boka National park. Grote Knip and Playa Porto Marie were both wonderful beaches, but the highlight for me was swimming with the turtles at Playa Piscado. Our guide was excellent and the tour bus was very clean. They provide drinks on the bus (Water, soda, beer), but lunch is not included. We ate a tasty lunch at the restaurant at Playa Porto Marie and still had time to enjoy the beach. Great tour!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 6:59 PM, Tonimarieb said:

Question for those that did the west beach hop tour. It’s listed as a 6 hour tour. We’re only in port for 8 hours for a cruise. Did you have time to look around port/shop before or after the excursion?

I have a similar concern. Our port stop is 8 hours and I was considering this tour but I'm worried about getting back on time, especially if the tour doesn't actually start until an hour after we arrive (that's when it usually starts according to online reviews) and all-aboard is at the 7.5 hour mark. Is it even worth booking it? I don't want to have to worry about missing the ship. Any anecdotes from people who did the beach hopping tour with 8 hour port stops would be helpful. 

• 1 month later...

Used Irie tours a few years ago and have nothing but great things to say. We had so much fun. I organized a group of 14 from our CC roll call. Everything went perfectly. Great value. Thinking I may book them again in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

Do you have to make a down payment for a reservation?

We haven't had to pay them anything up front the times we've used them ... just paid them for the entire thing at the end. They let you know they have you down on their list & tell you how to find them (which is easy.)

I’m in same situation as some of us here. I’m more interested in the 6 hour tour but also concerned about our ship being in port for 8 hours, from 8-4. Curacao is our last stop, so we’ll have to fly back to Fort Lauderdale should we miss our ship 😪. I just emailed Irie tour to enquire more about the timing. I’ll update when I hear back from them. 

There’s an ongoing review in carnival board from can’twaituntilmarch and their ship was in port from 2:30-10-30 and they seemed to have made back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. The important part is that they went to the tour right after the ship docked. 

Irie Tours informed me that the west beach hoping tour starts at 9 and will return at 2:30 to 3. It’s too close for my comfort so we’ll choose the 3-4 hours tour instead. They said that they would accept either cash for credit cards at the end of the tour. Hope this helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did the West Beach Hopper tour on March 23, 2019.  It went 7.5 hours, and I've seen people post 9.5 hours.  Our ship was in until 11pm, so I had no worries.   It was fabulous -- the highlight of our trip, as someone else posted.  I will do it again, if I ever get the chance.

I booked online, and got an email confirmation.   We met the guide at the end of the pier.  He had a sign and a list of names.   There were 11 of us.  It was relaxed and fun.  Payment was collected at the end, and we stopped in town, near the pier, for a few minutes so they could run a credit card.

I'd bet they adjust for tighter time frames.  At the beach stops, they gave us a time to be back.  If anyone had protested, I'm sure they would have shortened the stops.  Our last stop was at Porto Mari.  It was 2 hours for lunch and 1/2 hour of swimming.  The restaurant there was very slow getting food out.  

In truth, though, I wouldn't book a 6 hour excursion in an 8 hour port unless it was with the ship.  Flights from Curacao to the US are expensive!  🙂

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2019 at 9:59 PM, Tonimarieb said:

west beach hop tour

We just did this tour on May 30. I had been nervous at first, but got an email from Irie tour that they would shorten the tour just to make sure so I took a chance. I’m so glad I did. We had Bob as our driver and guide for the whole bus full of people. He was knowledgeable and funny. The tour was from 8:40-3. We stopped by 3 beaches and I didn’t feel rushed.  I highly recommended this tour. Let me know if you have any questions.