Cruising to Palermo and want to visit Segesta

nelsonpkt

Hi all,

As the title states will be visiting Palermo on the Marella Explorer on the 27th August. Marella are not showing any excursion other than in and around port, anybody have an idea how we (2 persons) could visit Segesta?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

As the title states will be visiting Palermo on the Marella Explorer on the 27th August. Marella are not showing any excursion other than in and around port, anybody have an idea how we (2 persons) could visit Segesta?

Thanks in advance

I would simply rent a car (reserve one in advance) and drive myself. It is only about a 1 hour drive (a little more if you get stuck in Palermo traffic).

Another option is to use the Tarantola bus that used to run a few times per day between Palermo and Segesta. You can try to use Google to see if that bus route even exists and whether its schedule would work. But personally, I prefer my own car :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

It's difficult by bus but it could be done. The problem is that there is no wiggle room or backup plan by public transit. I guess you could pay for a taxi to bring you back if something went wrong.

There is only one bus run in the mornings, Monday - Saturday (no service on Sundays or holidays, according to the schedule) at 8:45 AM (arrives to the archaeological park at 10:15 AM).

The return departs the park at 3:40 PM and arrives to Palermo at 5 PM. If you need to be back at the ship near that time you don't have any wiggle room if the bus is late.

Schedule here: http://www.tarantolabus.com/it/orari-vita-calatafimi-segesta-parco-palermo

Unlike Hank I'd prefer not to drive (especially in Palermo). A couple of years ago a friend and I located a driver who took us on two long-ish day tours from Palermo. The cost was not unreasonable. If I still had the contact info I'd pass it along to you, but it's something worth looking into as I suspect drivers in Sicily are a bit less than drivers in other Italian ports such as Naples, Rome or Livorno.

Cruisemom, was Alex (Alessandro) the driver you used in Palermo?

http://www.adrianaviaggi.it/about-us.html

Yes, it was. Thank you!

We had an excellent experience with him -- very safe driver (as I can attest since we had a real gully-washer of a rainstorm up in the mountains, on tiny, twisty roads, after visiting Morgantina) and pleasant company during our two days of tours to various places.