GTY Cabin Advice 4 Day Coastal

Tedferg

Never Sailed HAL, considering 4 day Pacific Coastal Eurodam April 29 2019.

I understand all cabins are GTY since it is a reposition and from other threads feel I understand how GTY works.

My thinking is 'any Verandah, any Deck', will be fine for 4 Day - so book cheapest VF $399 pp. Right ?

But for $50 more pp we could pick VB GTY and maybe get cabin on the rear - is this desirable ?

(I do see lots of VB on Verandah deck Fore and Aft so maybe scoring a Rear is not likely)

I made a cheat sheet from Deck Plans and think I can steer to various decks by choosing VD, VC, etc..

So why are VA, most expensive, on Mid Navigation - below Lido deck Noisy ? Aren't higher decks less desirable?

What you don't want is a cabin directly over the Ocean Bar or any other noisy entertainment or food prep area. Less likely towards the rear of the ship, but if you are at least one deck away you will not be affected by the entertainment venue noise. We always like the aft of the Navigation deck - but what ship are you going to be on? The deck names differ.

But for a four day cruise, I would probably even think about booking an ocean view cabin for an even cheaper rate -again if you get one in the aft deck area you usually have easy access to the small but public aft deck areas if these are available on your ship. Will you be using a private verandah that much on this cruise? Itinerary, weather, activities ...etc.

Ship is Eurodam, could also go a day later on Oosterdam. CC posters suggest Eurodam because of Tamarind.

I take your point about Ocean View - DW feels $200 makes balcony worth it. WE have only cruise Princess and never had Ocean View.

Edited by Tedferg

I understand all cabins are GTY since it is a reposition and from other threads feel I understand how GTY works.

My thinking is 'any Verandah, any Deck', will be fine for 4 Day - so book cheapest VF $399 pp. Right ?

But for $50 more pp we could pick VB GTY and maybe get cabin on the rear - is this desirable ?

(I do see lots of VB on Verandah deck Fore and Aft so maybe scoring a Rear is not likely)

I made a cheat sheet from Deck Plans and think I can steer to various decks by choosing VD, VC, etc..

So why are VA, most expensive, on Mid Navigation - below Lido deck Noisy ? Aren't higher decks less desirable?

Try calling a HAL booking agent rather than booking on line. They can sometimes override the constraints with online booking and actually let you select your cabin. It worked for me on the Nieuw Amsterdam 4 day coastal this year. And I definitely agree with sticking with the Eurodam to dine at the Tamarind! It’s definitely worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try calling a HAL booking agent rather than booking on line. They can sometimes override the constraints with online booking and actually let you select your cabin. It worked for me on the Nieuw Amsterdam 4 day coastal this year. And I definitely agree with sticking with the Eurodam to dine at the Tamarind! It’s definitely worth it!

sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great suggestion, when we looked at HAL last year I was contacted by a HAL 'Personal Assistant' so I could contact her.

On re-reading your post are you suggesting using a TA ?

Is Tamarind full menu shown anywhere ? I only see general description on HAL site.

Since you are thinking of spending an extra $50 pp to do a VB, how about spending another $100 pp to step up to a Signature suite? They are much larger cabins which will be nice on the 2.5 sea days you have on this cruise.

Since you are thinking of spending an extra $50 pp to do a VB, how about spending another $100 pp to step up to a Signature suite? They are much larger cabins which will be nice on the 2.5 sea days you have on this cruise.

Interesting ! Do Suites get any perks ? I think they do on Princess, maybe mini-bar set up or Specialty dinner on first night.

Perfect, thank you, I thought it might just be Sushi

I would call it very good sushi and westernized pan-asian choices. We like it a lot, and pick and choose our way around the menu - we like the appetizers especially.

Interesting ! Do Suites get any perks ? I think they do on Princess, maybe mini-bar set up or Specialty dinner on first night.

Verandah cabins are only called " Vista suites" today, and do not come with any additional perks beside double Mariner loyalty points.. Neptune or the Pinnacle Suites on HAL ships offer the extra perks, though I don't know what they offer on 4 day cruises.

The Signature suites (on the larger HAL ships only) are much larger than the Vista Suites on the smaller HAL ships. No real perks, other than the extra size.

As to the Neptunes, they still get the normal Neptune perks (free laundry, VIP boarding, wlecome cocktail party, breakfast in the Pinnacle, etc.) even though it is only a 4 day cruise.

Trust me - for $100 pp more the Signature Suite is worth it on this type of cruise.

We did a 5-day coastal on NA last fall and liked it so much that we are doing a 4-day coastal on Eurodam this fall. We started with a balcony guarantee that we booked onboard last year with the FCC, but ended up that we now have a SB guarantee. We’re very happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums