Will the kids miss Disney theme parks?

rgnok

Hi all!

My family (me, wife, 6 and 2 year old daughters) recently completed our first ever cruise - a 4 night Royal Caribbean from Galveston. Everyone had fun and we are looking forward to our next cruise.

My 6 year old's birthday is in April and we go to Disneyland for her birthday each year -- though she is only 6, she has been to Disney parks 8 times already and the 2 year old has been 3 times (plus once in mommy's tummy :) ).

We are considering doing a Disney cruise this spring, but both time and cost constraints keep us from being able to combine a cruise with anytime, even one day, at the theme parks.

So my question is -- how much will the kids miss the theme parks?

I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has kids that have been to the parks, THEN at another trip, did just a cruise -- where they dissapointed?

I guess my fear is that my very seasoned Disney travelers (and, yes, me too, a little bit!!) will spend days on the ship having lots of fun and enjoying it all, but being surrounded by all things Disney, many of the same sort of things we are used to being surrounded by at the Disney hotels, but waiting and wondering when we get to the rides!

I know I've painted a broad question, but I'd welcome any input you all have!

Thanks,

Roger

I can not speak from experience, however my nephews, ages now 13 and 10 have been on the Disney Cruise twice. They were 8 & 6 the first time and 10 & 8 the second time. When asked, they said they perfer the cruise over the theme park. They love the park but if given the choice would take the cruise.:)

I can not speak from experience, however my nephews, ages now 13 and 10 have been on the Disney Cruise twice. They were 8 & 6 the first time and 10 & 8 the second time. When asked, they said they perfer the cruise over the theme park. They love the park but if given the choice would take the cruise.:)

since their first dcl cruise, when given the choice of the cruise or same # of days in the park they chose the cruise every time

I can't compare the same age group, but I know that after our first Disney cruise, my 14-year-old daughter said she couldn't imagine going to Disney World without doing the cruise - she'd rather give up the theme parks, and so would I.

I would say it's all in your presentation. Just play up that you're going to a DIFFERENT Disneyland, with no little rides but just one big boat that you get to ride the whole time. On board, there are so many Disney characters available, and Disney shows, and Disney movies, etc., that it's truly a Disney experience for those who want a Disney experience.

We just got back from a 7-day cruise followed by 3 days in the parks (where they've been many times. Although my kids are older than yours, I asked them at the end of the vacation which they preferred. My son was unequivocal - he preferred the cruise. My daughter was less certain - she said a tie.

If your kids are into the characters, then they'll love the cruise - - they are all over the place and very accessible. I do not think that they'll miss the parks even a little.

This is precisely why we have stuck to the Wonder. By taking the Wonder in December both times (the cheapest month!), we have been able to combine it with a week at WDW. If we took the Magic, we could not have afforded time in the parks. Family of five is tough no matter what we do!

My kids go to Disneyland monthly, WDW yearly, and LOVE cruising. I, personally, couldn't go on the cruise without spending a few days at the Parks.

You say you "recently returned", so if you can vacation in the "off" seasons, Disney may be affordable enough that you can do both. In the spring, you're paying (nearly) top dollar at DCL and WDW.

He had been to Disney World many times since we live in Florida, but absolutely loved the cruise. He can't wait to go on another one. The children's program on Disney is amazing, unlike any other cruiseship you may have been on.

You say you "recently returned", so if you can vacation in the "off" seasons, Disney may be affordable enough that you can do both. In the spring, you're paying (nearly) top dollar at DCL and WDW.

As the kids get older, pulling them out of school for the cheaper travel rates is much less of an option. We often travel the last week of August, when our schools are still out but kids are back in much of the country, for just that reason.

My kids are 4 and 6. Cruised the Wonder in May 3 nts. 2nts at Disney World after. Preferred the cruise. The accessibility and pictures with the characters can't be matched in the parks. And the cruise is so much more relaxing. We find the parks to be a little too much effort. Stayed at WL and loved it though.

Archived