Is 9 months too young to go on a cruise?

gonersgirl

We were considering a cruise with extended family when I was told that my niece's 9 mo old would have to pay the 3rd person in the room rate. They are a young couple and could not afford to pay for her and there would be no one left at home to keep her, so we postponed it for a year. It made sense to me that the 4 year-olds would cost because there are programs for them, but it surprised me that you have to pay for the babies. How do you all do it financially?

Yes, a baby no matter the age does classify as 3rd person rate. On Disney Magic, I had to pay just as much for my infant as for my then 4 year old. And we are booked on the RCCL Freedom ship and it is $599.00 each for both my toddler and my 6 year old.

How do we do it financially, cruising is not a cheap thing to do, so we kind of expect the charge.

Michele

We were considering a cruise with extended family when I was told that my niece's 9 mo old would have to pay the 3rd person in the room rate. They are a young couple and could not afford to pay for her and there would be no one left at home to keep her, so we postponed it for a year. It made sense to me that the 4 year-olds would cost because there are programs for them, but it surprised me that you have to pay for the babies. How do you all do it financially?

Norwegian does not charge a fare for children under 2 years old, only have to pay government taxes and port charges. For our trip to Bermuda, this amounts to about $300 for our daughter - most other ports are cheaper, Bermuda has high port charges. If we were going on the NCL Dawn to Florida and the Bahamas, they were only charging $100 total for her.

As far as whether cruising is expensive, we've found that if your itinerary and schedule are flexible, cruising can give you the most value for the money - all food, accommodations, and transportation from port to port is included - if you figure that all up separately, as for a land vacation, it's usually pricier. For instance, rates for Bermuda hotels are at least $200 a night, cheapest when we're going is $230. Just for the accommodations, then, it works out to just $100 less than our cruise - BUT we'd still have to pay airfare to get to Bermuda and for all our meals if we were going on our own, definitely would add about another $1,000. Cruising is a great value - again, if you are able to be flexible and keep an eye on fare sales.

... it surprised me that you have to pay for the babies. How do you all do it financially?

How do I afford it? I drive really old cars and live in a really small house to afford cruising with my boy. :D :D :D

However, we've got #2 on the way. We're taking the baby on the November cruise, but the sticker shock of paying for a 4 people might get us into camping vacations instead of cruising vacations, at least for a while. :(

It's not just paying for four people, it's also the fact that I won't cruise again with kids without a balcony. Heck, I won't even cruise again without kids without a balcony. That adds $.

Shellie

It's not just paying for four people, it's also the fact that I won't cruise again with kids without a balcony. Heck, I won't even cruise again without kids without a balcony. That adds $.

Shellie

I agree! Isn't it the best part of the cruise when the kids are asleep and you are out in the QUIET, peaceful night air overlooking the water and staring at the stars? It's heaven! Priceless!

I agree! Isn't it the best part of the cruise when the kids are asleep and you are out in the QUIET, peaceful night air overlooking the water and staring at the stars? It's heaven! Priceless!

I know! I will have an aft in April and I am so excited I can barely stand it!

Shellie

I waited till my daughter was older and able to do the kids programs. It made no sense to me to take a vacation with such a young child. It would have been to expensive.

We took our then 7 mo old son with us on our cruise aboard Century and it worked out just fine. We used the in-cabin babysitting service a few times which also worked out fine. The Celebrity crew/staff did a terrific job in making the trip just wonderful with our baby.

Archived