New to NCL

shannonRRT

No, there is no FTTF on Norwegian. There isn't much difference other than no assigned dining times. For the EPIC you'll have to book shows 120 prior to sail date. If you don't you might not be able to reserve when on board. The shows are much better than the Carnival offerings (which I really didn't care for at all).

If you plan on dining in the fee-based restaurants you'll need to book those as well. For me, MDR is fine and there are other free dining options on the ship such as O'Sheehans (pub food) and other venues. The buffet is a bit easier to navigate as well, there are stations rather than waiting in line for the whole buffet. (CCL Destiny and Breeze) so you can cut in and out to grab what you want.

There is a waiting line that will allow non-reservation people to line up and will (might) be given entrance approx 10 mins before show start.

Howl at the Moon is a lot of fun, and there are a lot more music acts on board in the lounges than I found on Carnival.

Just so you are aware, the bathroom setup in the cabins is a bit strange for some people. Be sure to research that.

Have a good time.

I hope you love NCL. I am platinum on Carnival, but I haven't cruised them since 2015 as NCL is now my new favorite line. We sailed the Getaway in 2016, the Escape in 2017, and this fall we will be on the Getaway again. In my opinion, the food on NCL is leaps and bounds better than Carnival. Eight or nine years ago Carnival's food was really good. The declining quality of food on Carnival is one of the main reasons we decided to try NCL. I know opinions on food are subjective. Everyone's taste is different. But, in my opinion the main dining room food on the Getaway and the Escape was way better than anything Carnival has served in the last 7 or 8 years. I also feel that there are more QUALITY dining options on NCL, both casual and specialty, free and fee. Just more options. I don't cruise for food, but I am an avid scratch-home cook who likes a fresh-tasting meal that is well presented. My tip to you is to sample many of the dining venues, there is so much to love. Enjoy your cruise.

I've always cruised carnival. Trying out the Epic in December 2019. Does NCL offer anything similar to the faster to the fun that carnival Does? Any good tips About NCL I should know?

Love the Epic. We have sailed on the Epic 7 times.

No faster to the fun. General boarding starts around 11:30 am. The buffet and O’Shehans will be open. 12:00 the main dining room will open. Pools, rock wall, and slides will be open.

You are on a megaship. Reserve shows (Pricilla, Burn the Floor, Cirque (extra fee)) 120 days prior to cruise along with any dining.

Have a great cruise.

I hope you love NCL. I am platinum on Carnival, but I haven't cruised them since 2015 as NCL is now my new favorite line. We sailed the Getaway in 2016, the Escape in 2017, and this fall we will be on the Getaway again. In my opinion, the food on NCL is leaps and bounds better than Carnival. Eight or nine years ago Carnival's food was really good. The declining quality of food on Carnival is one of the main reasons we decided to try NCL. I know opinions on food are subjective. Everyone's taste is different. But, in my opinion the main dining room food on the Getaway and the Escape was way better than anything Carnival has served in the last 7 or 8 years. I also feel that there are more QUALITY dining options on NCL, both casual and specialty, free and fee. Just more options. I don't cruise for food, but I am an avid scratch-home cook who likes a fresh-tasting meal that is well presented. My tip to you is to sample many of the dining venues, there is so much to love. Enjoy your cruise.

I did a bunch of Carnival cruises in the 80s and 90s, the food was always very good. Because of CAS we started going on NCL a couple years ago. Thought all the food was very good, from buffet all the way up to Haven dining room. Spur of the moment we went on Pride out of Baltimore late last month (live 40 minutes from the port, save airfare $$$) and was quite disappointed in the food other than David's steakhouse. I'm not a food snob but I do love dining out and for me the food is a big part of the trip.

If you're a drinker I found the quality of drinks better on NCL...again nothing fancy but basic drinks like Bloody Marys, mudslides, etc.

The spouse & I loved 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' on Epic but it's definitely an 18+ risqué show.

I did a bunch of Carnival cruises in the 80s and 90s, the food was always very good. Because of CAS we started going on NCL a couple years ago. Thought all the food was very good, from buffet all the way up to Haven dining room. Spur of the moment we went on Pride out of Baltimore late last month (live 40 minutes from the port, save airfare $$$) and was quite disappointed in the food other than David's steakhouse. I'm not a food snob but I do love dining out and for me the food is a big part of the trip.

I would not call myself a food snob either, however, I cook from-scratch often enough at home to know good ingredients, and I know that Carnival is not using ingredients of the caliber they used to use a decade ago. NCL was a fresh change for us. Perhaps longtime NCL cruisers have their own tales of how NCL's food is not what it was years ago, but for us it was a needed change from Carnival's downward trend.

We have sailed on the Epic twice and loved it. The bathroom was not an issue for us but we were warned when the first cruisers sailed her. If you are not staying in the Haven, you may wish to try and purchase one of the few passes to Posh. The Epic's Haven is our favorite and if we did not already stay in the Haven I would certainly purchase the pass. I feel the floor level is best for Cirque as we did not miss a thing and loved being on the floor with the performers. This time around I did not feel Cagney's lived up to our prior visits though Le Bistro was good.

There is so much to do on this ship you can be busy all day. Enjoy your time on the Epic.

Reserving shows is not required. A standby line will form for those without reservations. About 15 minutes before show time they will let the stand-by line in. I’ve never NOT gotten a seat (comedy is a different story, though the late show is generally not full).

Dining reservations are also not required, but recommended for Teppanyaki. If you have a party of 2 or 3 you should be able to do specialty dining with a small wait, MDR with almost no wait.

Carnival & NCL are much more alike than different. NCL’s decor is more modern and muted vs Carnival. O’Sheehan’s is a great 24-hr dining option. Carnival’s pizza and lunch options (Guy’s, Blue Iguana, etc) are definitely better. NCL has more dining options than Carnival. Carnival’s staterooms and balconies are larger. Howl at the Moon is dueling pianos and fun, so are Carnival’s piano bars. Show quality is similar, IMO, though Priscilla on Epic was one of the best shows I’ve seen at sea (be prepared for adult content). Both comedy clubs and shows are really good.

Some people have issues with Epic’s bathroom set-up. Others couldn’t care less. I would definitely sail Epic again.