What do you wish you had left at home?

emory2001

In term of water-resistent footware, I puchased the spray=on product and treated a pair of boots before a recent trip where it rained every single day for the 4 days. It was more tourist walking than hiking, but I was pleasantly surprised at the results. I followed directions, sprayed the boots twice with plenty of time for drying in between. Also sprayed a pair of Sketchers, but I didn't wear them as much so not sure of results. It did seem to help. Note - had a hard time finding it and finally looked in the camping section as it's used on footware, tents, other items.

Note - had a hard time finding it and finally looked in the camping section as it's used on footware, tents, other items.

It's easy to find on Amazon (many varieties). But yes, if you're at REI or Walmart, the camping section is usually a better option than footwear....And if you're going to be hiking/camping (Alaska or elsewhere) permethrin spray for your clothing is also a great idea! Ticks love my husband and he works outside a lot so he often sprays a bunch of stuff at the beginning of the summer - will last through a few washings....

While I do own lots of goretex, I also have other shoes I like to bring on certain trips, and I will use a silicone spray. Certainly better than nothing ;-) Though if it's pouring and I plan to be out for hours, I try to wear the goretex.....

I've also found (and it might just be lazy me) but I always pack all my makeup and hair styling gear and then when morning rolls around I want to lay in bed as late as DH will let me before his impatience to get out and doing things can't take it any more. So then i shower fast, look at all the stuff and say "eff it! And head out for the fun. This is double true on cruises with a daily port stop.

I'm not a clothes horse yet I always pack more than twice what I wear no matter where I go or the length of trip. But this is the first time I have flown since 1980 so I think the weight restrictions will hold me back.

Your post was informative so thanks LOL

I packed too many evening dressy clothes. I could have easily gotten by with two blouses and one pair of dressy slacks (and I love to dress up). I would have been fine with one pair of dressier shoes and just my gortex hiking boots, didn’t need the low rise sneakers (or visa versa). I never wore my rainpants, we had great weather and water excursion operators were prepared to supply us if needed. One bathing suit was fine, I never wore the second one (hot tubs). I’d also brought flip flop style sandels for the pool and a coverup, but so many people wore bathrobes and slippers that I decided “why not?” Also did not need jeans, wore alternating two pairs of leggings with thermals underneath and layered tops.

I sailed on the Celebrity Millennium this past May. This trip has challenged me to creatively downsize from now on. We brought two carryons and one checked bag and I’m determined to carry on only next time. Maybe ;).

Bought these Uggs for Baltic cruise and wore them every day - water resistant, warm and so comfortable - will be bringing them on our Alaska cruise next May!

https://www.ugg.com/women-sale/bethany/1012532.html?dwvar_1012532_color=CHE#q=bethany&start=2&cgid=

I am a Southern Ca girl...and love to wear any boots whenever possible...but would select a pair of hiking boots over UGGS....no need for warmth in May in Alaska, except maybe when watching an outside movie on a ship.

I brought gloves, wool socks, water proof pts...all not necessary...40-60 degree weather certainly does not dictate super warm clothing....Important, 1 coat and 1 jacket with fleece liner both with hoods for Glacier viewing and a rough and windy sea day.

We went snorkeling in Ketchican in 48 degree water(7mm suits)...afterwards showered outside, never felt cold in Alaska and most our days were clear and crisp.

But loving this thread for the very unexpected Alaska cruise we are planning. I can pack for the Caribbean in my sleep....

Me too! Caribbean's easy peasy. :cool:

I am a Southern Ca girl...and love to wear any boots whenever possible...but would select a pair of hiking boots over UGGS....no need for warmth in May in Alaska, except maybe when watching an outside movie on a ship.

I brought gloves, wool socks, water proof pts...all not necessary...40-60 degree weather certainly does not dictate super warm clothing....Important, 1 coat and 1 jacket with fleece liner both with hoods for Glacier viewing and a rough and windy sea day.

We went snorkeling in Ketchican in 48 degree water(7mm suits)...afterwards showered outside, never felt cold in Alaska and most our days were clear and crisp.

I'm the OP and I'm in Florida, which for some people means they bundle up the moment it gets below 70. But for me, and my kids for that matter, we enjoy the rare opportunity to FEEL the cold, which is why we're going to Alaska this month, to get out of the heat. My 9 and 10 year old have for years worn shorts to school in Florida winter, even when the high is 55. True Florida kids hate clothes. :') I'm only packing light jackets for this trip, with hats and gloves for glacier viewing day.

I've LOVED all the contributions to this thread! For our upcoming AK cruise, the only thing I'm packing a ton of is underwear for everyone :D, because I don't want to pay for ship laundry. Other than that, we can wear outer clothes and pajamas more than once because I don't anticipate much sweating. So that cuts my packing in half right there. For an 11 day trip, I'm only taking 1 jeans, 1 convertible pants (converts to shorts, in case of a warm day), 1 dress black pants for evenings, and 1-2 yoga pants for sea days.