Mendenhall Glacier Excursion

cruisetek

Has anyone had an experience yet with the Mendenhall Glacier excursion now being offered? We've reserved it for an upcoming Infinity cruise, but don't really know what to expect based on the description - it sounds like we board a smaller boat for a couple of hours, but I'd love to know more about the logistics of the excursion, how close it gets to the glacier, etc. and whether it was worth the price. If you know more about it or had a chance to go on it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Has anyone had an experience yet with the Mendenhall Glacier excursion now being offered? We've reserved it for an upcoming Infinity cruise, but don't really know what to expect based on the description - it sounds like we board a smaller boat for a couple of hours, but I'd love to know more about the logistics of the excursion, how close it gets to the glacier, etc. and whether it was worth the price. If you know more about it or had a chance to go on it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

You need to copy the tour. The description should be pretty clear. There aren't any "boats" for Mendenhall- they are usually a raft, kayak, canoe. Certainly no - "tour boats".

Close- isn't known until you are on the tour. Every trip is unique, just because the prior have been right up to a glacier, does not mean future tours are going to be repeats Glaciers and weather is in a constant state of change.

Argh....totally mis-wrote! Not sure how to edit the post title....

It's the HUBBARD GLACIER excursion (can't keep my glaciers straight, apparently!). From the description:

The maneuverable, shallow-draft tour vessel provides a chance for up-close encounters and best photo opportunities of the area's animal species, in addition to exploration of the shoreline and islands. Throughout your tour, enjoy the dramatic vistas of rocky coastlines shaped by the mighty Pacific Ocean, and endless expanses of rainforest and snow-capped mountains. As you approach Hubbard Glacier, the experience captain will weave your tour vessel through a maze of icebergs, some multiple stories tall, making for amazing photos.

No photos of the boat type, or details on how we embark the new boat, no indication of how many people will be on the boat, etc. I understand it's new, and would love to hear from someone who has some direct knowledge of it. I think there was a post from a couple of weeks back, where someone was going to report back after the tour but I don't believe it's been updated. I've been to Alaska a few times and know all about weather changes, that glacier conditions can't be relied upon, etc. - just curious as to how close they AIM to get. It was a fairly pricey tour and I'd love to know if people who've done it thought it was worth it. Otherwise, we'll just settle for the surprise. :)

Same answer on "how close". The boats can hold around 200 people. Vendor is Allen Marine. It WILL get "closer" to the glacier and wildlife compared to the cruise ship.

You'll board the boat direct from the cruise ship and return to the cruise ship direct from the tour boat.

There is no "aim" either. The capt will determine "how close" based on numerous factors- at the time. Weather, ice, time ALL come into the unique determination.

I've sailed Hubbard numerous times with the range and I suppose 'aim" being over 10 miles out, to within a mile.