What to do without an excursion?

KnightsFan

My wife and I are cruising on the Allure of the Seas in September, we've already done a snorkel excursion in Coz, and are trying to save some money by not doing an excursion. What can we do instead?

We usually just get a cab and head to the Money Bar. Cab fare is around $ 11-12 each way for up to 4 people. There is no entry fee, but we always buy food and drinks. There is no real beach, but they have lounge chairs (sun or shade), a restaurant / bar and offered massages for a fee the last time we were there.

If you want to snorkel, there is good snorkeling directly from shore. There was no charge if you bring your own equipment. We rented equipment, including a locker, for a reasonable amount in Dec 2016.

It’s not free, but we had a nice day (5 hours) with lunch, 2-3 drinks each, rented snorkel equipment and r/t cab fare for less than $ 125 for 2. If you share a cab with another couple, don’t order a full meal or rent snorkeling equipment, you could have a great time for $ 50-60 for 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JT1962

• 1 month later...

I would recommend Nachi Cocum. It seems more adult-oriented and was quiet and relaxing.

Here is a YouTube video of Nachi Cocum that gives a good idea of what Nachi Cocum is like:

Drinks are unlimited at Nachi Cocum and you get to choose an appetizer, main meal and dessert from a menu and we thought we got plenty of food.

There is a pool with a swim-up bar, but we never spent any time in the pool, as we preferred to be on the beach and in the sea.

We also had our own snorkel gear and while it wasn't the best snorkeling I've ever seen, I was pleasantly surprised to see fish I haven't seen before and thought it was pretty good snorkeling right off the beach.

If I remember right the day pass was $55 and open from 9am-5pm. We took a taxi there as soon as we could get off the ship and arrived a little before 9am and they took us in and got us settled under a palapa. I think the taxi ride was $20-$25 each way, but check prices because they may have changed.

Paradise Beach is a popular option -- $3 admission fee/chair rental, great facilities, HUGE pool, nice beach and good food/drinks/service. Pay as you go for food & drinks - they ask that guests spend at least $10 each, which a beer/soda and some nachos (WHICH ARE GREAT :D ) will cover.

Taxi each way will be about $17 and the fare covers up to 4 passengers, so pair up with others from your roll call or the taxi line and save $$ ;)

If you are an animal lover, the Cozumel Humane Society can always use volunteers to walk dogs and help socialize the animals. It is within walking distance to the Puerta Maya and International terminals. My folks and I were even able to help with one of their spay/neuter clinics earlier this year by monitoring the animals post-surgery.