Planned Excursions for June

FloridaTourist

We leave southbound on the Island Princess June 5th - 2 adults and 2 older teens. I spent a lot of time the last 2 weeks looking at excursions from the ship as well as independents. Looks like we will go with TEMSCO dog sled tour from Skagway, Captain Larry Whale Watch from Juneau (will this be similiar to what we did in Cape Cod?) and I need someone to recommend a fishing trip from Ketchikan or should i just book it through the ship? We are not really fishing people, but everyone we know that didn't fish in Alaska regrets it. Does that sound like a good plan? Need some of you experienced Alaska travlers to make some suggestions.

Yes your whale watch will be very similar to Ma. in that humpbacks are the usual seen whale, but the sailing is more scenic and other wildlife likely- sea lions, eagles.

If you are not "fishing people" NO I would not recommend you go. What about Misty Fjords flightseeing??? Nothing compares to Alaska from the air. look at http://www.islandwings.com won't be that much more than the fishing if you plan to ship your catch.

If you do continue with the fishing, my family has gone with Northern Lights many times with excellent times. http://ketchikanfishing.net/

You got to fish here in Ketchikan. It is the best. What you want to fish for is the question. If you want 4 hour salmon you have tons to choose from. Halibut and salmon there are only a few like true alaskan charters. We killed last year on the boat I worked on but prices are still low.

Hey!

Everyone out there. Fish are not for farming. Eat wild Alaskan salmon.:) :) ;)

Thanks BudgetQueen and Alaskan Dude. Now I need to talk it over with the family. I looked at Misty fjord. Looks really beautiful but not sure the Mrs can do that and the helicpoter for the dog sled......its hard enough for her to get on a jet from Florida for the long trip.

We have been to Alaska three times on cruises and I have booked the fishing excursion each time. I would highly recommend it and I would just go with the cruise line.

The first time I took my son on the excursion he was around 10 and the last time he was 16 and we also had my future son-in law with us on the trip and he was 20 at the time. They both had a wonderful time along with mom and me (dad). My daughter also enjoyed the experience.

You do not need to know how to fish and you will still have a wonderful time. Typically, they take around four people on each boat and the captains are so very helpful. They will put the bait on the line for you and they will remove the fish for you and help you out. It is a lot of fun for both the adults and the children so I would highly recommend it. Plus, it's just nice to have the quiet time on the boat. A very nice, memorable day.

You can either leave the fish with the captain, or you can ship it home. We have shipped it home each time.

Again, this is the time to try fishing as the captains are so good and what better place to fish than Alaska.

The times we have gone fishing are in Ketchikan so you have the right place. And, again, I would just book it through the cruise line.

Hope you consider it.

Keith

Archived