Wine Tasting from Cannes

Ski Mom 2

Well, I thought perhaps Sanary-sur-Mer might be our best bet for a wine tasting tour on our back2back2back but now I'm wondering if Cannes might be our better bet (I haven't gotten any feedback on my other post).

Any thoughts or ideas on a wonderful wine tasting tour of the rose wines of Provence from Cannes?

My only quick thought is that many of the best Roses come from the Tavel area which is Northwest of Avignon. That is within day trip range from the port at Marseille but a bit too far from Cannes. We have sometimes talked about visiting Domaine Saint Joseph (near Tourettes sur Loup) but have just never gotten around to a visit. This would require a rental car or perhaps a private tour with car/driver.

Hank

My only quick thought is that many of the best Roses come from the Tavel area which is Northwest of Avignon. That is within day trip range from the port at Marseille but a bit too far from Cannes. We have sometimes talked about visiting Domaine Saint Joseph (near Tourettes sur Loup) but have just never gotten around to a visit. This would require a rental car or perhaps a private tour with car/driver.

Hank

Thanks Hank for your input. I did receive a quote from Provence Wine Tours out of Sanary-sur-Mer but it's a pretty penny for just the two of us. Sanary-sur-Mer seems to have several fans for just wandering the town and soaking it all in which is why I thought maybe Cannes would be a better choice. We love to wander, eat, drink and soak in the local flavor.

Now I'm wondering if we should just rent a car for the day from either Sanary-sur-Mer or Cannes and visit on our own. Have you rented from either local and are they close to the port?

Thanks Hank for your input. I did receive a quote from Provence Wine Tours out of Sanary-sur-Mer but it's a pretty penny for just the two of us. Sanary-sur-Mer seems to have several fans for just wandering the town and soaking it all in which is why I thought maybe Cannes would be a better choice. We love to wander, eat, drink and soak in the local flavor.

Now I'm wondering if we should just rent a car for the day from either Sanary-sur-Mer or Cannes and visit on our own. Have you rented from either local and are they close to the port?

We have never visited Sanary-sur-Mer while on a cruise. Our only visit was during an extended stay in St Remy when we drove down one day to check-out the town and the surrounding area. As to Cannes, there are several rental car agencies in town. Most are located about a 20-30 min walk from the tender pier but there are two local companies only a few blocks from the tender pier. They are called "You Rent" and here is a link to their rather strange web site: https://yourent-cannes.com/index.php/en/. The other is called "Mistral" https://yourent-cannes.com/index.php/en/.

I must confess to never having used either of these local agencies as we normally hike over to Europcar or Budget.

Keep in mind that Cannes is a tender port which means you can be delayed getting ashore. Unless you qualify for some kind of priority tendering it will likely be first come first serve using tender tickets. On most ships they give priority to their own tours. We always suggest getting a GPS system (usually available from the rental car companies) unless you have a cell phone with lots of included data that will work in Europe. Most of us with T-Mobile have no problems, but with most other cell phone companies it usually involves paying extra for European service.

Hank