Question for seasoned cruisers

kruzinkimmie

Hello All!!

My family is looking to take a cruise at the end of August to Bermuda and we’re looking at the Escape and the Celebrity Summit. I was wondering if anyone had been on either of these ships and could give me some insight (pros/cons). I have been on the Breakaway and loved it but haven’t been on Celebrity!

Thanks!

Hello All!!

My family is looking to take a cruise at the end of August to Bermuda and we’re looking at the Escape and the Celebrity Summit. I was wondering if anyone had been on either of these ships and could give me some insight (pros/cons). I have been on the Breakaway and loved it but haven’t been on Celebrity!

Thanks!

Celebrity 5* is a class above Norwegian.

Celebrity will be a little more “classy” and “upscale”. Food may be slightly better. Average passenger will be older (55-60) vs NCL (45-50). There will be FAR less kids on board Celebrity than NCL. NCL has more entertainment and nightlife options than Celebrity, and has better options for kids & teens than Celebrity. Celebrity will be quieter and feel less crowded.

If you’re looking for a quieter, low key cruise choose Celebrity. If you have kids/teens or prefer better entertainment or nightlife, choose NCL.

Escape will feel VERY similar to Breakaway

We enjoy both lines. I guess it really depends on what you want.

Celebrity is more laid back and calm in a way, less children, but not sure in August to Bermuda. No water slides, hair chest contests, etc during the day at the pool. There is an adults only pool usually called the Solarium which is nice as well. Better food (IMO).

NCL has all the bells and whistles on its newer ships like the water slides, has a good children's program or so I've heard (not sure about Celebrity but I know they have one), better entertainment (IMO), etc.

If you are travelling with children then NCL might be better than if you were travelling on your own.

I can't compare Celebrity to NCL but I have been on the Summit. We ate in the MDR and at the specialty restaurant.

Pros: The Summit's food selection was very good. Prior to the Summit, we had only cruised on Carnival. The food was as good or slightly better than Carnival. However, the selection was outstanding, such as Beef Wellington and duck. Now that I have cruised RCCL, I would rate the Summit as my favorite followed by Carnival, and then RCCL for food. We also did the anytime dinning which we were able to make time reservations prior to the cruise.

Cons: We elected to get the standard beverage package. It covered most wines and mid-level spirits. I was disappointed that Johnny Walker Black Label was not in that package along with Martini. I was also disappointed with the lack of bar wait service. Most of the cruise I would have to go to the bar for my drinks.

With this being said, should I have the choice again, the Summit would be my first choice from all the cruises that we have taken.