Just back from Rome, Pisa, Lucca

Floridiana

We did a Western Mediterranean cruise with a day stop in Rome and one where we booked a Lucca and Pisa all day tour.

Rome: fascinating and crowded. I would never book the ship's tour again which tried to show us the highlights by train, bus and on foot. Instead of the advertised 5 km, we walked 10 km according to my husband's watch. We were there on a Wednesday when St. Peter's cathedral is closed in the morning. Everybody stood in a long line in the afternoon. Our adult kids booked the same tour without St. Peter's but with a focus on the colosseum for which they were given very little time. Both tours were not satisfactory. We would have been better off with the shuttle into Rome.

Lucca: nice small town where the locals actually go to shop. Busy but not overly crowded.

Pisa: Our guide failed to mention that we should get the free tickets for the timed visit of the inside of the cathedral. By the time we realized it, it was too late for us.

We would book the tour again for ease of transportation, but leave the guide after 30 minutes and head out on our own. If a shuttle were offered, we would book that. If you have only time for one town, pick Pisa. The 5 building ensemble with the tower is simply amazing.

Pisa does get short shrift from many visitors, so many show up just to see the tower then declare themselves done with the city.

The cathedral and baptistry are well worth some time as is the excellent museum (closed at the moment for renovation). I've been told that the camposanto (cemetery) frescos and sculpture are fascinating as well but I haven't been there yet.

There's also a lovely river walk along the Arno and some amazing architecture on the university grounds (one of the best in Italy).

For those who aren't up to the long, rushed trip to Florence and back a day in Pisa is a reasonable alternative and can be quite a full day.