Name change NOT passenger change

Our last few cruises, I booked and traveled using my passport in my maiden name.

Now that we will be traveling with our child (who just got her passport), I thought it would make sense to finally renew my passport into my married name so that we all 3 reflect the same last name (thought it would make sense especially while traveling). I had previously changed my name for my DL, with SSA, etc.

My PCC assured me it wouldn't be an issue and to just let them know once I have the new passport. However, I'm getting nervous now that this may not be the case.

Anyone have recent experience with renewing a passport after booking, and then subsequently changing one's name on the booking?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

i would not do it... id change your passport after you return from this trip before booking the next. it may not be an issue, but it might be, and then what? The other option is if you are outside the cancellation period, cancel and rebook with your new married name.

When I got married, after the honeymoon, NCL changed my booking name to my married one (no fee). If I recall, I had to send a copy of the marriage license as proof and it was pretty simple. You may want to just check with NCL (sometimes a different agent/supervisor). Good Luck and have a great cruise!

I called before I got married because we were booking a cruise and wanted to know how best to handle it. I was told that it is much easier if you are not the primary guest on the booking. Once I changed my name over and everything I contacted NCL and they changed my Latitudes account and booking. It was very easy. As Frick_&_Frack suggested you may want to call just to be sure though.

Our last few cruises, I booked and traveled using my passport in my maiden name.

Now that we will be traveling with our child (who just got her passport), I thought it would make sense to finally renew my passport into my married name so that we all 3 reflect the same last name (thought it would make sense especially while traveling). I had previously changed my name for my DL, with SSA, etc.

My PCC assured me it wouldn't be an issue and to just let them know once I have the new passport. However, I'm getting nervous now that this may not be the case.

Anyone have recent experience with renewing a passport after booking, and then subsequently changing one's name on the booking?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

It is not an issue. Just call your PCC. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Whatever you do, the name on the picture ID that you are using to get in and out of port should match the name on your cruise card.

Technically, you should always travel under your legal name. And not cross boarder using a “old” name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this in 2011 (different cruise line) no problem at all. They literally, at the pier check-in, changed my name on the computer and gave me a ship card with my new married name.

Seems this happens a lot, but...

I had been very nervous about it though, just as you...was afraid of some snafu or that they wouldn't believe I was who I said I was...

So I brought ALL identification I had proving my identity (my new passport, birth certificate, driver's license, marriage certificate, credit cards, AAA membership card, even supporting documentation such as my cell phone bill showing my name and address, club membership cards with my picture; I think I even brought a copy of my passport renewal/name change application).

All unnecessary, but I wanted to be safe, than sorry...

So, my advice is bring all supporting documentation--probably won't need it, but it's better safe than sorry.

Enjoy your cruise!!

There are two pathways here, each require you to bring supporting documents as this is the first cruise since the change.

Pathway a - renew passport in married name, bring copy of marriage certificate to show name change and matches with DL and now passport.

Pathway b - continue to travel in maiden name, with child with a different last name, bring copy of child's birth certificate to prove you are child's parent and do not require notarized permission to travel out of country with child.