My really stupid cruise move

This isn't my story, but on our last cruise there was a couple that became semi-infamous on the ship. They were younger and on their honeymoon, and apparently at the very first port the guy gets drunk, tries to jump off some rocks into the ocean, and breaks his leg. They didn't put him in a cast though - the buzz around the ship was that for insurance reasons, they elected to only have it splinted until they returned to the states. For the rest of the week, you saw the new wife pushing him around the ship in a wheelchair, sitting forlornly by the pool, and both of them looking progressively more disgruntled as the week went on. I can certainly imagine that I would have been none too thrilled with that honeymoon, and knowing what awaited when we got home.

Do you flight Southwest? Most airlines would charge $150 in change fees unless they've already issued a travel waiver. I'd rather just spend the points or money on a hotel in the first place. And I don't think that status gives you better options, but you do get to the phone reps a little faster than hoi polloi.;)

If you have ultra elite status, they will boot people out of a seat to accommodate you on any flight you want to take. No charge.

On our first cruise in 07, we had gone down a day or so before and spent the night with family. On the drive back from PC the day we disembarked, we saw a confirmation of why we always go the day before. Driving North on 95, we noticed Southbound traffic at a complete standstill. don't know what happened, but it was miles long and had been happening long enough that lots of people were out of their cars. On another trip (3 nighter) we were driving down the night before and got a flat tire. And of course, weather. It doesn't matter if you live in New England or Texas, whether it's winter or summer, Weather Happens. Could e a blizzard or hurricane, or just general bad storms. And let's not forget airline glitches of one form or another (remember the PSA problems just last month?).

And as everyone said, why stress out when if you get there the day before, you can be well rested and ready to vacation? We don't splurge on the hotel, but we'll be darned if our long awaited vacation is going to get spoiled by being cheap (I can still be frugal).

Erika

I thought I'd share this story...

Years ago, hubby and decided to take a cruise out of Miami in March. We were flying from New Hampshire to Miami to board the ship. I decided, in my infinite stupidity, that it would be fine to book a very early flight the day the ship left port. If we landed in Miami at 9:00 AM, that gave s plenty of time to board by 4:00 PM.

It'd save some money on a hotel and, besides, what could possibly happen....in New Hampshire.....in MARCH.

That's right - it could snow and out flight could get delayed.

Long story short(er), we ended up landing in Port Canaveral (best we could do) instead of Miami. We RAN out f the airport and hopped a cab. It is 3:00 PM in Miami traffic. Port Canaveral is not so close to Miami. I have no idea how the cab driver did it, but we barely made it. We tipped the cabbie heavily and RAN on board.

I have rarely needed a drink so badly in my life.

Moral of the story? Spring for the hotel!! Don't be a dock runner!

:cool:

I needed a drink after reading this...WHEWWEEE. This is my nightmare scenario, so we always plan to get there a day in advance....the only time we don't is if it is in Baltimore (we live in DC), 30 minutes away.