1st Cruise, attire question.

dcruisedog

It is not unusual for the ship to change or even cancel a diningroom dress code to to port times or certain circumstances. Usually this will post in the daily the night before, but can be announced under certqain conditions.

This however is not a reason, or excuse to not dress appropriately during the rest of the cruise.

As for require vs request........To REQUEST is a formal way of stating a requirement when used in the text it is. The 'request' in the dress code IS FOLLOWED by the statement that alternative casual restaurants are also available.:rolleyes:

Its a lot nicer and sounds more polite to make a request of a passenger than to demand or require. This is simple common English, and proper manner.;)

Seems TOO many of those on this site have lost track of the basic understanding of the English language. Not to mention ship board etiquette.:(

BTW: It says nothing about pants and shoes, so using your logic I could assume that I could show up barefoot and bare assed and be in perfect compliance...Right?:D

Dave:eek:

Dave,

I think there is a difference between "request" and "required" as used by Celebrity. The Cruise Docs and the FAQs request a jacket and tie for Informal nights. However, Celebrity Today on my October 2005 Mercury cruise (and on all 2005 Celebrity Todays I've seen online for various ships) do not require a tie on Informal Nights. In the Ship's Dress Codes section of the first Celebrity Today, it says the following "are the required modes of attire for evening dress . . . ." Under Informal for men it says, "Jacket, slacks. No jeans."

What this difference in wording tells me is that while Celebrity would like men to wear a jacket and tie on Informal nights (the request), Celebrity only requires a jacket (the requirement). I'm ignoring the issue of enforcement by Celebrity; that's for another thread. The two words, as used by Celebrity do not have the same meaning.

My conclusion is reinforced by looking at a Celebrity Today from an October 31, 2004 cruise on Infinity. There the required mode of attire for men on Informal nights is: "Jacket and tie, slacks. No jeans." When Celebrity wants to require a tie on Informal nights, they know how to do it. It appears that the omission of the tie requirement on 2005 cruises was a deliberate loosening of the dress code requirement for men on Informal nights.

On our cruise in October, my wife and I strictly adhered to the required evening dress code (i.e., I wore a jacket without a tie on Informal nights). I would like to see everyone follow the minimum dress code as set forth in Celebrity Today but I'm not holding my breath. <VBG>

Since when do you have to go to alternative casual before 5. Sometimes people on this board ask a simple quesion and everyone gets carried away, and sometimes downright ignorant.

To clarify, I meant you were supposed to make the RESERVATION before 5. That's what it says in the daily. You don't have to EAT at 5. That's what my family does when they don't want to put on the fancy duds. That's why it exists. Everyone does not want to dress up. Celebrity tells you where you may eat where everyone else will be casual and everyone will be comfortable with it.

I have heard of people arriving late from excursions, missing first seating in the dining room, and going to casual blvd. and being admitted without a reservAtion, without a problem. it's merely suggested that if you want to eat in a more casual atmosphere, you have this alternative. I didn't make it up. Celebrity did.

Ok, so I'm new to Celebrity. I'm reading about a LOT of dress requirements.

HELP! There isn't a buffet where you can grab a quick bite while in your shorts? Are we going to starve if we come back from the islands and are just too pooped to get all gussied up for food (and didn't make a reservation)? I read something about a casual dinning room where you have to make reservations. Is that the 'buffet' or 'shorts ok' spot to eat?

What about breakfast? We just love to wake up, stroll by the buffet, sit on top deck with our coffee and ejoy breakfast.

Is RCI more casual than Celebrity?

We're sort of thinking about the Infinity 11 days to Mexican Riviera.

p.s. Please don't respond by saying "order room service ya' lazy bum!" :D

It is not unusual for the ship to change or even cancel a diningroom dress code to to port times or certain circumstances. Usually this will post in the daily the night before, but can be announced under certqain conditions.

This however is not a reason, or excuse to not dress appropriately during the rest of the cruise.

As for require vs request........To REQUEST is a formal way of stating a requirement when used in the text it is. The 'request' in the dress code IS FOLLOWED by the statement that alternative casual restaurants are also available.

Its a lot nicer and sounds more polite to make a request of a passenger than to demand or require. This is simple common English, and proper manner.;)

Seems TOO many of those on this site have lost track of the basic understanding of the English language. Not to mention ship board etiquette.:(

BTW: It says nothing about pants and shoes, so using your logic I could assume that I could show up barefoot and bare assed and be in perfect compliance...Right?:D

Dave:eek:

Command of the English language aside.............

This is right off the dictionary:

To Request:

1. To express a desire for; ask for. Often used with an infinitive or clause: requested information about the experiment; requested to see the evidence firsthand; requested that the bus driver stop at the next corner.
  2. To ask (a person) to do something: The police requested her to accompany them.

To Require:

1. To have as a requisite; need: Most plants require sunlight.
  2. To call for as obligatory or appropriate; demand. See Synonyms at demand.
  3. To impose an obligation on; compel: Students are required to attend classes.

I don't see where the two words have the same meaning. Bottom line, unless the restaurant managers start to do something about those who blatantly break the rules, this issue will never go away. If the cruise lines would ever enforce this dress code, I am sure word would spread like wildfire on this board, and people would fall into line shortly thereafter.

I am however; intrigued by the notion of showing up dressed in a tux jacket and nothing else........

Ok, so I'm new to Celebrity. I'm reading about a LOT of dress requirements.

HELP! There isn't a buffet where you can grab a quick bite while in your shorts?

Not during the dinner hours, no. You'll find the buffet open for breakfast and lunch.
Are we going to starve if we come back from the islands and are just too pooped to get all gussied up for food (and didn't make a reservation)? I read something about a casual dinning room where you have to make reservations. Is that the 'buffet' or 'shorts ok' spot to eat?
Yes, that would be one alternative. If you're on one of the M-Class ships, you've also got the oft overlooked Spa Grill where there's no dress code -- you can order up a decent meal in your swim suit if you like. They also serve some really interesting and tasty food back there.

As to reservations for Casual Dining -- we had such a situation occur on an Alaskan cruise once. A late shorex, and we were even scheduled for late seating and still missed the schedule for dinner! While they most assuredly prefer you make a reservation for casual dining so that they are prepared in advance for table setting and staffing requirements, I've not heard anyone being turned away. We weren't given any grief at all about our unexpected arrival.

What about breakfast? We just love to wake up, stroll by the buffet, sit on top deck with our coffee and ejoy breakfast.
Well, you don't say anything about shedding your PJ's and night gown before arriving at the buffet :p but we'll assume you toss on clothes of some sort! Yes, the buffet area allows for shorts, etc., for both breakfast and lunch.

Is RCI more casual than Celebrity?
Officially, no. In practice, yes, but only to a slight degree in our experience.

We're sort of thinking about the Infinity 11 days to Mexican Riviera.

p.s. Please don't respond by saying "order room service ya' lazy bum!" :D

Order room service ya' lazy bum!

The good news on room service during dining hours is that you can order from the regular dining room menu rather than the small room service menu. If you're not in a suite, they'll bring it all at once. If you are in a suite, they'll have it arrive in courses.

Ok, I'm still confused. I'm very interested to the answer to this question. I am going on the Infinity to Alaska this summer on my first cruise and have already bought a very formal dress. (Boxing Day Sale:) )

I don't want to be overdressed. Will a full length black dress (sequins included) be too much?

Thanks

Ok, I'm still confused. I'm very interested to the answer to this question. I am going on the Infinity to Alaska this summer on my first cruise and have already bought a very formal dress. (Boxing Day Sale:) )

I don't want to be overdressed. Will a full length black dress (sequins included) be too much?

Thanks

Sounds just the ticket for a formal night, even in Alaska. People DO dress on these cruises. Hope you enjoy your time in Alaska on Infinity as much as we did. It's such a different experience from the typical cruise.

No such thing as being overdressed on formal night. Formal is formal and if you are truly formal how could you be wrong? It's the ones that try getting by with as little as possible to get in the door without being turned away that have the problem. That would be imbarrsing to me to get there to find you look so out of place they ask you to go elsewhere for more casual dining.

And true 9 times out of 10 they won't stop you but with my luck I'd be the one to get sent back. Why gamble while on vacation? You know before you go there are going to be X nights in formal attire. What's so hard about packing for formal wear using their extremely lax suggestions? Besides the men dress up for their lady and if their lady allows her man to not dress right it reflects on her judgement of right vs wrong.

Once you get aboard the ship, in the daily, the dress code is listed as required after 6:00 pm throughout the ship

If you look at this link to a daily posted on Cruiseclues you will see the word required bolded.

http://tomandemily.com/CruisePics/CelebrityConstellation2005/Day%201%20San%20Juan%20Port%20Docs/html/Celebrity%20Today%20-%20San%20Juan%20-%20AE1%20-%2011-26-05.html

Another advantage to dressing up on formal night; my Hubby always rents a tux. Less for us to pack and they deliver it to your room and take it away when your done. He just brings his own shirts (better fit and more comfy).

Renting a tux is fine if you are a regular size. On our trans, a fellow cruise critic member rented a tux to save on packing space and weight. The wrong size pants were delivered. Unfortunately, they were unable to find him the correct size so they skipped the formal dinners and ate in casual dining.

This really boils down to simple etiquette. If, by way of analogy, a friend invites me to her home for dinner and "requests" that I dress in a certain manner, it would be rude of me to say that it was just a request and not comply.

But, let's say that I do just that. I will make my hostess uncomfortable - I have ignored her request for my own purpose. How should she react?

She could turn me away from the door - but that would be an even greater breach of etiquette than the one that I have shown. A gracious host will nevertheless welcome me. So, it is not so much a question of Celebrity deciding not to "enforce" is policy as it is a question of electing not to be more impolite than the nonconforming dresser has been.

And what of the other passengers' reaction? Let's go back to my dinner party analogy. The other guests there all received the same request regarding dress that I received. Everyone is dressed nicely, and I show up looking differently. We all received the same request, and they all complied. But, I did not. They are naturally going to feel uncomfortable by my behavior - I have acted rudely to our hostess and, to some extent, to them as well. I have, unwittingly, communicated to them that I am more important than they are and that I am beyond the rules of etiquette. They will share the discomfort experienced by the hostess.

But, how are they to react? It would be rude of them to get angry or to criticize me. They might make an off-hand comment like, "Oh, too bad. Your blazer must have been lost at the cleaner's," but that would be the extent of it. If they did otherwise, that would be rude as well.

I think that one's manner of dress at a restaurant, a resort, or on a cruiseship is analogous. You are someone's guest (yes, a paid guest, but still a guest). So, I dress in accordance with the dress code out of respect for my fellow passengers and the cruise line. When I observe others who do not do the same, I admit that it bothers me a little. But, I never comment on it, and I am polite when I speak with them. It does, however, impact my opinion of them - not much, but it does have an impact.

I do not think that is being uptight - it is a natural reaction of someone who followed the rules out of respect for the rest of the community to someone who has not bothered to do the same. I know that other passengers enjoy the experience of being surrounded by others elegantly dressed, and it would be rude of me to do anything to detract from their reasonable expectations that the other passengers will abide by the requests of the cruise line, our hostess.

And to the OP, you did the right thing by asking!

Great analogy danblinn!!!!!

Yes, well thought out and very appropriate.

Re the long, black dress question, I was recently on Mercury in Alaska and on formal nights there were mostly long dresses and some were spectacular! My party of four all wore gowns and we looked lovely, if I may so myself.

Formal is formal and I cannot imagine being overdressed, just underdressed. The ones that stood out were the dozen or so in khakis with a shirt, and their wives in a plain dress or pantsuit.

Do you think we've frightened off the OP yet?

I think the poor fellow has the message. If he's left the boards I just hope he hasn't left behind his desire for a cruise. Cruises are too much fun and first-timers who read this stuff will sail and then wonder what all this fuss was about! It always amazes me how much attention the attire threads draw. And here I am, submitting to it again!

CC is a specific group. CCers love to cruise usually and enjoy shipboard life, including the attire requests. Most of us dress up for dinner, as requested, because we enjoy it, not because we are concerned about what others think.

To accurately answer questions about attire, however, we must be honest. There are always, on any cruise, at least a few people who do not follow the dress code to a "t." They are not thrown overboard - that's a fact.

I wouldn't want someone to skip a wonderful cruise or purchase a jacket (especially formal clothes for kids/teens) when they could put their hard-earned money towards a great shore excursion or participate in one of the many other great things offered on a cruise.

My favorite line from the movie Good Morning, Vietnam. "It's only radio!"

J

j-

yes they are not thrown overboard but some of us cruise critic members - according to posts - have personally witnessed people not in the appropriate dress code denied entrance to the restaurant or the show. I personally saw some people who changed after dinner turned away from the show on one of my cruises. The fact that the enforcement of the dress code is sporadic compounds the situation. I would hate for someone going on their first cruise who was told that "not all follow the dress code" and "don't worry about it" end up on cruise that was enforcing the rules and then turned away.

In a post asking about dress code, I always state the dress code according to Celebrity and follow it with the following statement:

Be aware that on some ships and/or sailings, if you are not appropriately dressed, you will be turned away from the dining room or the show. I have personally witnessed some people who changed after dinner turned away from the show on one of my Celebrity cruises.

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I apologize, but I can't find the answer I've been looking for when I've searched previous threads.

For informal nights, it says that men should wear jackets and slacks. My question is, are Jackets a must? If so, I will need to do some shopping.

I am sailing on Zentih 1/9

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We were on the Zenith last month: on informal night about 1/2 of the guys wore jackets; most did have on ties. NMNita

Yes, the men do wear jackets, and many also opt for the tie, on informal nights. If you plan to go to the alternate restaurant, like Normandie, you will also need a jacket, even if you dine there on a casual night, the dress code for those restaurants is always either formal or informal.
There are no alterntive dining restaurants on the Zenith.

I think you should say you "may" be turned away. Face it some ships for whatever reason do a better job at enforcing the code to a certain level. Others will let the worst go by. As to the gentleman who didn't get the right size rental pants did he not have a coat and tie for informal nights? I would just put on a the coat and tie for formal because the ship's dress code for formal has been lowered so low that any old coat and tie will pass. That would beat missing lobster tails and escargo. Before I got a tux I use to double up on a black blazer for both nights. Change shirts and pants and ties and it looks like you brought several different outfits yet you used the same coat thereby using less packing space. At least by doing this I would not be talked about here!

I feel bad for the original poster who is rather being told to find a cruise line that is different than Celebrity - which is supposedly known for its adherence to traditions and elegance -- as per the very last post.

I just got off a 12 day Celebrity cruise -- the statement about being more elegant -- well this didn't apply to my last cruise - so obviously it isn't true for all cruises. To state this as fact to the OP, is misleading.

There will be men in the dining room on Informal night that look nice and are tastefully dressed -- and they will not be in a jacket. That's a fact. It is not the suggested dress code, true. Unless these passengers truly look unkempt or tasteless, however, it's a safe bet that they are not irritating the huge majority of other diners.

I've only sailed a few times -- long long ago when you truly had to "dress" in a jacket and tie every single night and ladies were always in dressy dresses - not even dressy pants outfits. More recently, I've sailed five times on Princess -- which only has Smart Casual and Formal as designated dress code.

All of my Princess cruises were dressier overall than this last Celebrity cruise -- including the Formal nights.

It varies much from cruise to cruise -- this is so obviously true, no matter how hard anyone tries to keep it tight.

Informal night on my Celebrity cruise brought out everything. Yep, I was surprised. Many jackets -- but lots of dress shirts on men with our without ties and no jacket. Saw some Aloha style shirts on these nights also -- no I'm not confusing these nights with Casual night. Women were not all that dressed -- no more dressy than what you'd find on most nights called "Smart Casual" on a Princess cruise.

Don't let the "informal" code put you off if you really want to sail Celebrity.

Except for Christmas, most formal nights (there were three) brought out lots of "Nice Church Clothes" and not truly formal outfits. I saw less tuxes on this cruise than I ever have before. Most of my cruises have been during family vacation times (school break weeks).

Casual night -- on this last cruise it seemed very very casual -- I think some men would have looked nicer or would have been more tastefully dressed in dressy bermuda shorts, honestly, and I'm not trying to be nasty.

I'm not suggesting that the OP should ignore the dress code. I advise friends to make an honest effort. There is a code; most try to follow it. I'm not one who is irritated or offended by those who don't follow it. I just chuckle at those few (there are always a few) who go out of their way to dress horribly in protest of the dress code.

Take a good look at when you are traveling, how long is the cruise, what is the demographic etc. I do believe this contributes to the variables you find in adherence to the dress codes.

Have a great cruise.

J

Thanks and I agree 100%. I think there are those who would like to believe Celebrity is a little of what they are not. I do agree they are a 1/2 step up from most mass marketed lines, but certainly are not to the extent some would like to think. As for following the guide lines, I too get a bit irritated with those who think they can do anything they please. NMNita

I think you should say you "may" be turned away. Face it some ships for whatever reason do a better job at enforcing the code to a certain level. Others will let the worst go by.

If you do follow the evening dresscodes as set down by Celebrity, you will most definitely NOT be turned away at the diningroom or the theatre on any of Celebrity's ships. Guaranteed. :D

If you do follow the evening dresscodes as set down by Celebrity, you will most definitely NOT be turned away at the diningroom or the theatre on any of Celebrity's ships. Guaranteed. :D

A blanket statement like above is false just as a blanket statement that Celebrity always enforces the dress code. I have personally seen someone turned away from the theater because they changed out of formal clothes after dinner. And how do I know that they were really being turned away - I was near them when they were arguing with an Celebrity person outside the theater. Others have also reported people being turned away. There was also a post by someone who was turned away from the dining room because he wasn't properly dressed.

The problem is that the enforcement of the dress code is sporadic even on the same cruise.

Sorry Usha - I just reread your statement. When I first read it, my mind actually put a second not in it to read:

If you do NOT follow the evening dresscodes as set down by Celebrity, you will most definitely NOT be turned away at the diningroom or the theatre on any of Celebrity's ships. Guaranteed.

instead of what you did actually say:

If you do follow the evening dresscodes as set down by Celebrity, you will most definitely NOT be turned away at the diningroom or the theatre on any of Celebrity's ships. Guaranteed.

That's what I get for speed reading. Please forgive me. I feel so stupid.

Yes what you said is right.

Archived