What's the worse that could happen? (Guarantee cabin)

TheAs

Hi everyone. This will be our 5th cruise and we've done a variety of cabin categories before - balcony, ocean view, and inside. So this time I'm considering booking an inside guarantee because that is all that is left right now in the price range I wanted to pay.

We're not picky at all and we're barely ever in the room, so my question is how BAD could a guarantee get? Has anyone had any not so good experiences?

I know from other posters that you rarely get bumped up and I'm not counting on that. I just don't want to be stuck somewhere awful.

Thanks in advance!

(I did a search for this subject but my search doesn't work on my work computer for whatever reason.)

Get the deck plans for your ship, and look at EVERY room in the category and higher category level for the type of cabin you are considering. Are the "worst" cabins ones which you absolutely could not accept? (Next to elevator, below running track, low deck, far forward, whatever worries you). You are taking a chance on getting that room.

You have a pretty good chance of getting anything in your category or higher, still within the cabin type. (Upgrades from Inside to Outside are much more rare). The main difference between the Inside cabin categories is the deck level and distance from mid-ship. (higher deck, mid-ship are ranked higher)

For example we did inside guarantee on Sapphire Princess, and the inside categories are ("best" to "worst": I, II, J, K, L, M) We paid for a category "K" but were put in a "J". It wasn't really much of an upgrade (same room) but we were 3 decks higher because of it.

They won't put you in a worse cabin than you pay for (ie we wouldn't have got L or M).

The worst that happened to us was getting a "higher" grade inside cabin, at the very front of the ship, right under the show lounge -- if the seasickness didn't get you, the stomping dancers at rehearsals and shows every night did!

That was my last guarantee cabin!

Great advice thus far. I also book in advance because I like to know which cabin and based on great advice and experience, know exactly what cabin(s) I would like.

My cruising friend has done guarantee and always gotten better than what she paid. Of course you could get the lowest rung, but if you're paying a good price, does that really matter? From what I've read, I'd say odds are in your favour to end up with something decent. Who knows, I may even gamble on it someday.

Back in the day when I booked non HC cabins we booked inside guarantee and ended up in a 110 sp ft cabin in the very bow of the ship bottom passenger floor, with I might add a cabin of 4 unattended children in the next cabin, thought that has nothing to do with guarantee. anyway it was certainly the least desireable location I have ever had.

Guest annabelatsea

i had an inside, no guarantee, on the QM2 and it was great. suggest that you do a virtual tour of the cabins on the ship you are sailing. the worst will be no worse than bunk beds.

When booking a guarantee, after studying the deck plans, choose the lowest category you will absolutely be pleased with...then, you'll never be disappointed.

I booked a guarantee balcony for our first cruise. Our 2nd cruise is in September and I've chosen the exact cabin I want and will not be booking another guarantee. ;)

The worst that can happen is you pay in full early and they give you the very first room in the front of the ship with a blocked View from the window. More or less the least wanted room. We plan to upgrade so its not so bad because we wont have to keep the room they gave us anyways. If I was thinking I wouldnt have paid in full so early (kept maybe $50 short of being fully paid). Most times you get a room that isnt to bad, and up till now we have had good luck with ours.

I have booked guarantees many times depending on the price, one thing I have did, is if you have a cabin you just dont like, and see one in the exact catergy, they will let you change to a cabin closer to maybe an elevator, or whatever, I have did this twice, but like everyone elses says always be happy with your choice, because sometimes you may be stuck with what they give you. For us being on a cruise is great, the cabin is not our top priority. Have a great cruise

I have booked guarantees many times depending on the price, one thing I have did, is if you have a cabin you just dont like, and see one in the exact catergy, they will let you change to a cabin closer to maybe an elevator, or whatever, I have did this twice, but like everyone elses says always be happy with your choice, because sometimes you may be stuck with what they give you. For us being on a cruise is great, the cabin is not our top priority. Have a great cruise

This is not true is MOST cases..once you get set thats all. (especially on carnival. most times cabins that are located central and close to elevators are what is booked with set cabins.

If cruise lines set you up on a guarantee and lots of people dont like their cabins i can only imagine the problems if everyone can change them.. Kinda defeats the purpose of the guarantee. You CAN pay for a differnt cabin..

Booking an inside cabin guarantee...depends on the ship..the worse you can do is be ontop of a disco.

under the galley.

Be located very forward in the ship-- you will hear the anchors dropping early in themorning..

the worse-- you will wonder and worry where you cabin will be for all those months??

if you truly dont care..go for it. People who are first time cruisers have nothing to compare it to so thats when to do it.

We will be sailing on the Imagination April 20th for our 5th cruise. Since we are taking our kids with us, there will be 4 in our cabin. Looking at the deck plans, there are only 12 rooms on each of the 4 cabin floors that we could possibly get with an outside gurantee - 12 rooms forward on the lower two decks or 12 rooms toward the aft on the upper 2 decks. These are the only rooms listed as having the ability to house 4 passengers. Even if we paid more to pick a room, we would still have this same limited choice, so it appears that selecting the gurantee oceanview rate will save us some cash with no downside possible.

If there is a flaw in my thinking, please point it out to me.

If there is a flaw in my thinking, please point it out to me.

Scott: the flaw is you are only looking at cabins with 4 people. YOur ship does have rollaways so you should also be looking at triples and the 4th person will be accomadated with a rollaway bed. So with that-- look at cabins that hold 3 people.

With 4 people I would have taken the quad cabin and not taken the chance of a rollaway

The first cruise we took was last year and we were on deck 3 in the very front. Every morning we heard the anchors dropping and them docking but we were in an inside stateroom where it was very dark and that was kind of our wake-up call so we could get up early and enjoy our day. In March we are going again but this time we are on deck 7 with a balcony so we will see how we will like this one.

My wife and I have been first Cabin at least three times, last time, was on Caribbean Princess (Dec. 04). Actually , first day at sea ws day Of Sunami, (dec. 26), and sea was very rough, I don't think our cabin was any different than others on the ship at that time. It was high up (lido deck. )

Have been in first Cabin on Victory and Grand. Not any different than other cabins we have had.except more walking on ship, which is probably a good thing, after all food we eat.

I don't remember hearing anchor, if I did it was after I was up anyway.

My wife and I don't have any form of motion sickness, in fact we have wristbands still in box from one of our very first cruises, never opened.

However, you might not want to take a chance with this location, obviously, it is more beneficial not to be so far forward, or so far aft. That is why the more expensive cabins, (except certain suites), are midship.

We were upfront twice because we had been upgraded, and once we were with group of 40, a cruise I arranged with my relatives, and, did not want any one in this group to have this cabin.

My suggestion to you, its your vacation you don't do this all the time, try and change your cabin.

Have a great vacation.

Wasnt the first balcony more windier compared to a balcony thats located more midship??

I have sailed the aft and have not experienced more motion.

I am doing my first side balcony in February

The worse that could happen is not get upgraded. Alway book the lowest acceptable category cabin that you can live with. For us, our upgrades have been as follows:

Dream Cat I upgraded to Cat C

Holiday 6A upgraded to 6D

Sun Cat M upgraded to a II, upselled to a BB

Elation 5A to...to...to..dang it..... a 5A.

Sensation 6A upgraded to TBD (dont know yet)

Dave

I booked a 1a gty January 7th on the Carnival Inspiration sailing on February 13th through travelocity. My first cruise ever and am traveling solo. I called travelocity yesterday and have been upgraded to a 6A oceanview on the Riveria deck a few cabins from the back of the ship. Is this going to be a noisy place on this ship? I'm not complaining mind you but I just wondered if the engines would keep me awake. Thanks! Greg

The one time we took a guarenteed outside room was on the Carnival Elation. They would not tell us the room number until will were ready to board.We got a good deal so we figured how bad could it be.............never again.

We were all the way in the bow of the ship with only one room past ours.The port holes were kind of down a tunnel.they were so far down you could barley see daylight.

I did not know what thrusters were. I quickly learned that they turn the ship. Everytime they used the thrusters the noise was so loud you could not carry a converstion on in the room. Then there was the anchor chain. I had no idea how long an anchor chain was. Apparently we were also right over that. Again , the noise was unbeliveable every time they lowered or raised the anchor.

I swore never again but then there was a really good offer on a minisuite on a Princess ship. We took it and wound up with a balcony that was partially blocked. That was ok because the room was still a minisuite catagory. I would not take a guarentee again unless it was a high catagory.

The two worst cabins stories I heard of were similar to the above poster. The cabin by the anchor chain. They heard it loud and clear at each port - extremely early in the morning! And cabin by the crew deck door. Constantly clanging open and shut at all hours.

My daughter goes guarantee because she has a very tight budget. I never go guarantee. I book extremely early and am very picky on my cabin location. I take advantage of the early bird booking rates and have quite a long time to pay off my cabin.

There is some good advice here, book the lowest category you can live with. My daughter's inside was upgraded to an ov but she was fairly far forward. She didn't mind. I would not have liked it.

• 4 weeks later...

I only have two experiences, both with Guarantee's, both with good outcomes.

Last year, on Norwegian Sun, booked a guarantee cabin w/Balcony for couple hundreds cheaper than next category up. Was assigned (within 4 days of booking) a cabin with balcony, Viking Deck, between mid & aft. LOVED IT!

This year, on Celebrity Millenium, booked a guarantee cabin w/Balcony for again, a couple hundreds cheaper than next category up. Was assigned (within 2 days of booking) a cabin with balcony, Vista Deck, very close to mid, a tiny bit forward. LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS ONE! :)

Must be a luck of the draw, because SOMEONE is going to end up having to be assigned those "less desireable" cabins/locations.

In doing the math, for cruise #1, had we booked our assigned room Directly, we would have paid $1,300 more (in total).

For cruise #2, had we booked our assigned room Directly, we would have paid $860 more (in total).

For me, that "cost savings" is worth the "gamble".

Last year I booked an inside GTY on the Carnival Glory. I got a 4 category upgrade. The room was the same as what I had, but the deck was better. This year on Mariner of the Seas I picked the room, inside. When the prices dropped last week I took a gamble and for $35 pp, I was able to get a Deluxe Balcony GTY. Within 30 of a call to my TA is was assigned a room. I was booked into a balcony cabin in the hump area. For $70 the risk was worth it. Will definately book a GTY again.

Archived