Bar Island @ Bar Harbor

robptaylor

I didn't see any specific discussion posted about walking across the sand bar to Bar Island.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and if it was worth the walk. It looks interesting but not sure what is involved.

Is the path muddy or sandy? In other words, will my shoes be a mess after making the trip? Is it clear what time you need to head back in order not to get stuck? What is there to see on the island? How far is the path to the island?

It sounds like you have to be very careful regarding your timing, don't want to get stuck out there at high tide.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, we will be in Bar Harbor on October 9, 2018.

I've done it a couple of times, but that involved driving my Honda sedan about half way over. The bottom is not sandy or muddy, it is crushed stone and hard packed gravel. As for being on Bar Island, if you walked towards the island center, it was overgrown with brush and trees, this may have changed. To see anything, you would have to stay close to the shore.

You have about 1.5 hours before and after dead low tide to make the trek. it is about ⅓ mile from shore to shore.

SBtS

Just there recently (July 9th). Our grandson had downloaded tide tables and we walked out during its lowest ebb. Nice wide sandy/pebbly stretch of ocean floor to the island. The grandkids took some trails on Bar Island, but I just enjoyed my time on the sandbar. A really nice spot. But you are right: you need to watch the tide. Our Acadia NP bus driver said the local tow office does a nice business rescuing stranded rental cars driven in by unwary tourists. Supposedly he charges $800 for a tow.