Freedom of the Seas - July 14-21 - Post Cruise Report

Did you use the gangways and board directly onto the Promenade, or did you board on deck 1 or 2 walking directly from the dock level? The gangways have been closed since the 2017 hurricanes. We boarded Jewel on deck 1 last April and the gangways weren't yet operating.

Hi BillOh! I am happy to report that the gangways on deck 5 are now operational. There is nothing better than that first step onto a cruise ship!!!

This is awesome! We are cruising with FOS in 32 days and I'm bouncing off the walls - this is just what I needed.

Thanks sandc4e! I am glad you are enjoying the review! I would also be bouncing off the walls if I was sailing in 30 days! In fact, I have a goofy little happy dance I do. My family thinks I am nuts!

Thanks for the review; it's been great! We're leaving on FOS in 11 days and I can't wait! It's interesting that our itinerary is slightly different (St. Thomas, Aruba, Curacao and St. Kitts). Did I read correctly that you were on board at 10:15 am? We are Platinum members and want to go on board early, but didn't know how early we could actually board. When we did the Anthem two years ago, we were given a "window" for when to board, but I'm not seeing that this time, so I'm just not sure what time to arrive. We're coming into San Juan the day before as well and going to OSJ in the afternoon so we figured we would board as early as possible to enjoy the ship before it gets crowded. Thanks!

Hi joromay! Thanks for your kind words! I am glad you are enjoying the review. I'll bet you can't wait...I would be so excited that I would not be able to sit still. While your itinerary is different, it is still amazing (the FOS alternates itineraries every other week). Have you been to those islands before?

We actually arrived at the pier at 10:15 - probably boarded just after 11:00. It is worth noting that while they allowed passengers with "status" to stand and approach the gangway first, there was not a long time between groups (when we went on the Allure of the Seas last summer, they literally called everyone by group and had everyone else stay in their designated areas).

And I agree with your decision to board the ship as early as possible. After all - more ship time = more fun!!!!

I am really enjoying your review. Having quite the chuckles along the way. :D:D:D:D

We will be doing a B2B on the Freedom next February and your itinerary will be our second week. Apart from St. Maarten, the rest of the ports are all new to us so we are so excited!

Thanks for sharing your fun!

Muriel

Loving your review, sorry the tour you took in St. Lucia was not what was planned. Yes, you were on vacation, yes you had a good time, but you did not get what you paid for. I would leave a review on Tripadvisor saying as much.

HI Mike,

I promise I will respond to all questions as soon as I have a chance!

BTW Thank you very much for your service.

Thanks ..And Thanks for your Support....I would do a report on Trip Advisor about Steven Ambrose tours ...Heard he has had some problems in the past...

Thanks

Mike

Loving the review! I am sailing on the Freedom on Aug 11, 2018 and going into PR 2 days before. I have sailed on the Freedom a couple time before and love the ship. I also have a cousin that is one of the featured singers performing in both shows( Marquee and Once Upon a Time). I can't wait to get back on the ship.

T-minus 48hrs!! So glad you have been posting about the islands. I’ve been sharing them with my husband! FINALLY decided on a culinary walking tour in OSJ on Friday night. Leave RI @ 5:45a. We get in @1p. Tour is @5. To say we will be exhausted is an understatement - but WHO CARES- were on VACATION!! Ok. Now that I’ve gotten that out of my system... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Day #6 – Barbados

Another day…another new island. As noted, one of the main reasons we chose this specific cruise is because of the itinerary and the fact we would get to visit three ports we had never been before. Thus far, we had a phenomenal time in Antigua and enjoyed the beauty of St. Lucia despite “issues”with our tour. What would Barbados have in store for us?

The day admittedly did not get off to a great start when I was told the ship was out of smoked salmon. Ok…I am not thrilled but I can deal with it. After all, I am on vacation (something far too many complainers seem to forget).

We then got off the ship and headed to the taxi lines. For those of you who have never been to Barbados, please do not expect to get off the ship in a pastel colored, palm tree lined, manicured, Caribbean paradise. If you do, you will be terribly disappointed as the port of Barbados is a major, working port. So, unless you have a very strange infatuation with maritime and shipping equipment and crates, you are likely going to find the port to be less-than-idyllic.

After negotiating with a driver to take us to Carlisle Bay for $4 each, we were on our way. Yes, we had to make an unplanned stop to drop off some other people at a beach that was 15 minutes out of the way but I saved a cool $5 - so there! Besides I like driving through the islands to really see them. We ended up going to Harbour Lights Beach Club where two beach chairs, a shared umbrella, and three tickets to snorkel with the turtles cost only $60. The visit had its share of good and underwhelming (nothing on vacation is truly “bad”). The good was finding a great spot to play baseball catch with the boys, fantastic soft sand, and excellent snorkeling with a turtle, stingray and lots of tropical fish. The underwhelming was the fact that the beach chairs are stacked in rows so unless you arrive early and get chairs in the front row your view will be of the chair in front of you, the chair behind you, and the chairs on either side of you. I don’t know about you but I prefer looking at the sand and water.

After a couple of hours at the beach, we walked to Bridgetown which is on the way back to the ship. Like the actual port, Bridgetown is not a typical cruise “city.” It is a working city and the locals are all going about their daily business. That said, it was neat to see their English inspired Parliament building and the views along the river were very nice. Shopping was typical (DI, Little Switzerland, Colombian Emeralds) and so we did not spend all that much time before walking back to the ship.

Once on the ship, it was time to get ready for dinner since it was the second formal night and we decided to dress up (for the record, the final family vote was 3-2 in favor). The good news is we got some nice pictures taken and had a very nice dinner. I know formal night and the way people dress can be a contentious issue on these boards and I really do not want to start a major discussion on this issue but I do want to make a quick personal comment that is reflective of my view and my view alone. Yes, how to dress is rightfully a personal choice but I personally disagree with people who do not respect formal night. Now, I am not saying that you have to wear a tuxedo…I don’t. And,while I do not agree with a polo or button down shirt and nice pants, I suppose the right reaction is to simply say “whatever.” But if you plan to wear a hoodie and cap like the young man who sat two tables over from us, please enjoy your dinner in one of the casual venues in the ship. Thank you.

After dinner and a quick change of clothes, we headed to the main pool to watch the wonderful movie Coco. It is a favorite of the family and I just hope we did not bother the people around us by singing all the songs! If you have not seen it, please do yourself a favor and check it out. The night then ended with a visit to the main theatre for the acrobats who were even more amazing this time and a comedian named Angelo Tsarouchas. Was Mr, Tsarouchas funny? Well, let’s just say that heading back to the cabin 20 minutes earlier would not necessarily have been the worst idea…

It was at this point we realized we had learned a very important lesson. Five straight port days can be very tiring and we were ready for a sea day! Well, the good news is the sea day was to follow!

My wife and I leave on Aug 11th. Essentially first cruise for us. I have a couple of questions that I would love to get your opinion.

We get to PR a day before we set sail and stay a few days after we return. On our departure day, we are debating seeing PR (possibly El Yunque) and boarding later or trying to get on the ship ASAP. Thoughts?

Thoughts on the specialty restaurants?

Thoughts on Mystery Theater dining event?

Thank you in advance

10 days until your first cruise?!? Oh my...how incredibly exciting!!! I am sure you are going to love it!!

Given you are staying in PR for a couple of days following the cruise, I would recommend getting on as soon as possible and acclimating yourself to the ship. While it certainly is manageable, it is big and there are a lot of things to see. Just make sure your "carry ons" are light as you will not be able to get into your cabin until 1:30 and you do not want to be lugging heavy bags around. Of course, I also recommend getting on the ship as early as possible because being on a ship is THE BEST!!!

As for the specialty restaurants and the Mystery Theatre dining event, I wish I could help but we generally stick to the MDR, Windjammer and Johnny Rockets. I am sure the food is delicious and the service is impeccable but my family are not foodies and we are satisfied with the "free" food (Johnny Rockets aside...). Perhaps another reader can help!!!

Hi joromay! Thanks for your kind words! I am glad you are enjoying the review. I'll bet you can't wait...I would be so excited that I would not be able to sit still. While your itinerary is different, it is still amazing (the FOS alternates itineraries every other week). Have you been to those islands before?

We actually arrived at the pier at 10:15 - probably boarded just after 11:00. It is worth noting that while they allowed passengers with "status" to stand and approach the gangway first, there was not a long time between groups (when we went on the Allure of the Seas last summer, they literally called everyone by group and had everyone else stay in their designated areas).

And I agree with your decision to board the ship as early as possible. After all - more ship time = more fun!!!!

Thanks so much you are awesome! We’ve been to Aruba but not the other islands. We specifically picked this itinerary because my niece is studying vet medicine in St. Kitts and we wanted to stop in and visit. We were supposed to go to St. Thomas in 2004 but Hurricane Frances made us go west instead. Keeping our fingers crossed for this year!

Ten year anniversary huh?!? Very cool.

Out first RCCL ship was Radiance in 2002.

Its kind of weird to think back...my kids at that time were 15 and 11. My oldest is now married!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

I am really enjoying your review. Having quite the chuckles along the way. :D:D:D:D

We will be doing a B2B on the Freedom next February and your itinerary will be our second week. Apart from St. Maarten, the rest of the ports are all new to us so we are so excited!

Thanks for sharing your fun!

Muriel

Muriel - So glad you are enjoying the review and it is giving you your daily dose of laughter (laughter is the best medicine, right?).

And I am so jealous you are doing a B2B! As I mentioned to another, P and I would desperately love to sail for two weeks but it is just not the right time of our lives. Plus we would have to figure out a way to bring the doggos.

You are going to love all the islands!!!!

Thanks again!

Loving your review, sorry the tour you took in St. Lucia was not what was planned. Yes, you were on vacation, yes you had a good time, but you did not get what you paid for. I would leave a review on Tripadvisor saying as much.

You make a very good point but I don't know... Spencer did promise me he is implementing a new "we are changing your tour, would you like to continue?" protocol but who knows if he is just saying that to appease me? I tend to want to believe the best in people.

Thanks ..And Thanks for your Support....I would do a report on Trip Advisor about Steven Ambrose tours ...Heard he has had some problems in the past...

Thanks

Mike

You are welcome! As I noted to another, I understand what you are saying but I am not sure that is what I want to do. And I have to admit I am surprised you have heard not-so-good things about Spencer Ambrose tours before. All the comments and reviews I saw were very positive (that is one of the reasons I chose them). Maybe I should look more closely and see if they were posted by Mama Ambrose and Little Jimmy Ambrose!!! ;p

Am enjoying your postings so very much. We'll be on FOS for a B2B Sept 8th & Sept 15th...a perfect celebration for our 43 year anniversary. We love the B2B's and this will be our 2nd out of San Juan.

Things keep changing onboard so quickly where is the DL since as D+ and only sail in JS's that's the lounge we can use...which is just fine with us.

We've sailed a few times on Independence & Liberty but this will be a first for Freedom.

Loved your review. Thank you for being so informative with your details. We are sailing for the third time on Freedom in October and have the same itinerary. Three new islands for us that we are very much looking forward to. But as you said, five days straight in a row, we are going to be tired and need that last sea day. Thanks for sharing.

Day #7 – At Sea

The last day of a cruise is traditionally a total mishmash of different activities for the family. After all, it is our final chance to do everything we wanted to do on the ship. And this was especially true on this particular cruise since it was our only real day at sea (I suppose you can count Day #1 but…nah). In fact, looking at the Cruise Compass, it is clear RCCL struggles with the dynamic as well as they try to pack a lot of activities into the final day – activities that would normally be spread out throughout the week.

So, over the course of about eight hours (with comments about each)…

· Waffles with strawberry sauce and whipped cream (and various other foods) were eaten (delicious as always but still no smoked salmon).

· B and R tackled the rock wall twice with B successfully making it to the top (the line was not as long as we feared)

· Miniature golf was played (I really do not have much to say here)

· Photos from the week were viewed (I like the fact that you still have to search for your photos on the Freedom. I know that it is a logistical nightmare to simply put them all out on the Allure but I like having to find mine rather than looking in a big binder)

· Watches were looked at and passed on (my checkbook says whew!)

· Many other goods were looked at in the shops (I found the selection in the RCCL logo shop to be weak. I was not tempted by anything).

· Pizza was eaten at Sorrento’s (I may be in the minority but I like the pizza. It does seem like the line was always very long and more and more people are taking whole pies)

· Swimming strokes were practiced (ok – so it is a little hard to actually practice swimming strokes when in a packed pool. Speaking of a packed pool, it was disappointing that the H2O Zone was closed almost the entire day seeing as B still loves to play in the area – and while we were told a couple of reasons for its unavailability, we never found out for sure).

· Bodies were tanned (by the time we finished with other activities and got to the pool, there were essentially no chairs available – yes, chair saving, continues to be a big problem. We, therefore, asked if we could sit in the “Ultra-Exclusive I have a Gold Seapass Card Suites” Seating Area. Being that we are Diamond members, they allowed it…more on my “issue” with the way they treat different levels of passengers will be in my final post)

A final dinner in the MDR was followed by packing and participation in a brand new family show “Think You Know Your Children?” This was the first time they had ever tried the show and it was a blast. Think “TheNewlywed Game” with a parent and child. Once again, my kids convinced me to participate (talk about having to twist my arm…) and B was the child who got to join me since he met the age requirement which I believe was 6-11. Unfortunately, we did not win as I had no clue B would rather play a robot than an action hero in a movie, would rather eat a cookie than a candybar, and would rather be a giraffe than a tiger (really?!?). Fortunately, I did know he would choose to go to Disney World over the North Pole so at least I know something!

I really hope RCCL makes this game a regular feature as it was a lot of fun and is a great family activity. Speaking of family activities, I do not understand why they do not hold the Family Quest on every cruise/ship. We have now sailed with RCCL 10 times and it has only been held twice. It is a real shame as both the kids and the parents love it.

The night ended with the show “Once Upon a Time” which is truly excellent. We did notice they seemed to present a shortened version likely do to the fact they had to perform it twice (I can only imagine that was the reason). Regardless, it is worth investing 45 minutes to check it out.

Luggage placed in the hall (I HATE having to do that!!!), it was time for bed.

Next – The final post – The Final Day & Overall Impressions (I am going to try to post it tomorrow).

Loving the review! I am sailing on the Freedom on Aug 11, 2018 and going into PR 2 days before. I have sailed on the Freedom a couple time before and love the ship. I also have a cousin that is one of the featured singers performing in both shows( Marquee and Once Upon a Time). I can't wait to get back on the ship.

Thank you very much Dragonkeper! Glad you are enjoying the review. And I am sure your cousin is amazing since the performers in Marquee and Once Upon a Time are fantastic!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

T-minus 48hrs!! So glad you have been posting about the islands. I’ve been sharing them with my husband! FINALLY decided on a culinary walking tour in OSJ on Friday night. Leave RI @ 5:45a. We get in @1p. Tour is @5. To say we will be exhausted is an understatement - but WHO CARES- were on VACATION!! Ok. Now that I’ve gotten that out of my system... [emoji6]

Now THAT is the attitude I love! Yes, you will be exhausted but you should have a huge smile on your face. I am very excited for you!! Have fun!!!