Wine

Fisherwoman

While I can only share our experience I think it worked out just fine. While in Honolulu we purchased some of our favorite wines, which were much cheaper than on the mainland, and when re-boarding the ship the staff said to just carry them on as there was no-one available to charge the corkage fee. We understood we would be charged the fee if we took the bottles to the MDR, which was our intent. From that point, they charged the fee each time we brought in a fresh bottle. Had the correct staff been there upon our return in Honolulu, they would have charged us for all the bottles right then, which is what we had anticipated.

On our next TA cruise, we will "stock up" on wine in Gibraltar for the crossing with the expectation of paying the fee on re-boarding.

We have brought wine on in ports numerous times. The one piece of info I have not come across is when bring wine on board for embarcation, after we pay the corkage, does the wine end up in the room or in the hallway when delivered.

Thanks for responding though.

We have brought wine on in ports numerous times. The one piece of info I have not come across is when bring wine on board for embarcation, after we pay the corkage, does the wine end up in the room or in the hallway when delivered.

Thanks for responding though.

Wine should be taken on board as carry-on luggage. You walk it to the wine table and declare your "free" bottles and designate your "corkage" bottles which will get a sea witch stamp. (See photo in my earlier post). After this transaction, you carry your wine with you to your cabin along with your other carry-on luggage. Princess never takes possession of the wine. It stays with you the whole time.

There are people who slap a luggage tag on their wine and check it through. If you do this, your wine will be intercepted and you will be contacted to come retrieve it. When you do, you will pay the fee at that time and the wine will be released into your custody to take back to your cabin. At least, this is what I have heard. I never let my wine out of my sight and carry it straight to my cabin. Or roll it into the Main Dining Room as I have lunch if my cabin isn't available for occupancy until 1:00.

There are people who slap a luggage tag on their wine and check it through. If you do this, your wine will be intercepted and you will be contacted to come retrieve it. When you do, you will pay the fee at that time and the wine will be released into your custody to take back to your cabin. At least, this is what I have heard.

No offense, but you have made it abundantly clear your experience is entirely with the wine table, you've spoken at some length over several posts about your close adherence to policy in that regard. Since you are only HEARING about any other method of bringing wine on board, is it really proper to speak so definitely and well, prejudicially ("slap a luggage tag on") about it? You don't know whereof you speak, you've just heard stuff.

Wine should be taken on board as carry-on luggage. You walk it to the wine table and declare your "free" bottles and designate your "corkage" bottles which will get a sea witch stamp. (See photo in my earlier post). After this transaction, you carry your wine with you to your cabin along with your other carry-on luggage. Princess never takes possession of the wine. It stays with you the whole time.

There are people who slap a luggage tag on their wine and check it through. If you do this, your wine will be intercepted and you will be contacted to come retrieve it. When you do, you will pay the fee at that time and the wine will be released into your custody to take back to your cabin. At least, this is what I have heard. I never let my wine out of my sight and carry it straight to my cabin. Or roll it into the Main Dining Room as I have lunch if my cabin isn't available for occupancy until 1:00.

I am aware of that procedure. However, I have heard they will deliver it to your room if it is by the case after paying the corkage. Take a look at the post above where I did a summary of information I had gathered. What people have not been able to say is whether they put it in the room or leave it in the hall.

We have done what you did several times. We will be on a 60 night cruise later this fall and we are bringing on three cases.

As we are taking on three cases, caring it is not a very good option. On another thread, I was told they could take it to your room. The only piece of info missing is if they will put it in the room, or do I need to be there to get it when they drop it off in the hall.

As we are taking on three cases, caring it is not a very good option. On another thread, I was told they could take it to your room. The only piece of info missing is if they will put it in the room, or do I need to be there to get it when they drop it off in the hall.

When I have taken (more than 3 cases) wine on a cruise I tape the luggage tag on each shipper case. Once I have been contacted and payed the fee then the wine is delivered inside the cabin usually before 6 pm.

I do mark each case 1 of 3, 2 of 3 etc. have not lost a case yet.

I do hand carry a few bottles on the day of departure.

Hope this helps

When I have taken (more than 3 cases) wine on a cruise I tape the luggage tag on each shipper case. Once I have been contacted and payed the fee then the wine is delivered inside the cabin usually before 6 pm.

I do mark each case 1 of 3, 2 of 3 etc. have not lost a case yet.

I do hand carry a few bottles on the day of departure.

Hope this helps

Thank you, this is what I had heard second hand. The only thing missing was the confirmation of the case going in the room.

We will probably bring a couple more for room consumption as the 36 will just cover the 30 dinners. Thank God we have free grats so we can afford the 500 plus corkage bill! :eek: LOL

FYI, I like you handle

Thank you, this is what I had heard second hand. The only thing missing was the confirmation of the case going in the room.

We will probably bring a couple more for room consumption as the 36 will just cover the 30 dinners. Thank God we have free grats so we can afford the 500 plus corkage bill! :eek: LOL

FYI, I like you handle

Your welcome, I now don’t bring as many bottles on maybe just a case usually what we drink on our balcony.

And Wineforhealth (thank you) not sure how or why, but I have enjoyed growing, producing and consuming wine for well over 45 years.

Your welcome, I now don’t bring as many bottles on maybe just a case usually what we drink on our balcony.

And Wineforhealth (thank you) not sure how or why, but I have enjoyed growing, producing and consuming wine for well over 45 years.

I don't make wine myself, but have relatives in Napa who have done it. My DW is the wine expert. I am the expert consumer!

[quote name=

We have done what you did several times. We will be on a 60 night cruise later this fall and we are bringing on three cases.[/quote]

Well, I hope you have an easy embarkation with your wine. Sounds like the Circle North Pacific cruise. A dream cruise for me and I hope they still have this one when I am retired. Would love to return to a few of those places on your itinerary. I hope you have a wonderful experience. :)

Well, I hope you have an easy embarkation with your wine. Sounds like the Circle North Pacific cruise. A dream cruise for me and I hope they still have this one when I am retired. Would love to return to a few of those places on your itinerary. I hope you have a wonderful experience. :)

That is the one. We are using a driver to get us to the port. We made sure he knew how much gear we are bringing. Not sure if you looked at the other threat I quoted from. It will give an idea of what we are bringing.

Hope you get the opportunity some day. We have never been to any of the stops in Asian or Guam. It should be fun. Over 30 veterans onboard from CC also as there are several stops with historical importance including one on Veterans Day.

For the trip back home, we are trading wine for Koa. That will put a dent in my wallet! LOL

A bit of background: I worked in the wine industry for 18+ years and have a decent collection of wines. I'm considering bringing 3-4 bottles with me on a 9 day NCL cruise in October.

I'm reading on NCL that there is no limit to *amount* of wine one brings on, as long as the $15/btl corkage fee is paid. $15/btl is a STEAL compared to places in SF and Vegas, however I've always avoided bringing any labels that are carried by the restaurant as a matter of form. Will NCL care? Or should I find a wine list online for those eateries? I have the ultimate beverage package, but I'm a bit of a wine snob and I like to have a nice bottle with dinner. When I sailed on the Epic last year I purchased a bottle at Cagney's with dinner and they stored for the next meal. I'm assuming my bottles can be handled similarly. Any other tips from folks who have done this before?

A bit of background: I worked in the wine industry for 18+ years and have a decent collection of wines. I'm considering bringing 3-4 bottles with me on a 9 day NCL cruise in October.

I'm reading on NCL that there is no limit to *amount* of wine one brings on, as long as the $15/btl corkage fee is paid. $15/btl is a STEAL compared to places in SF and Vegas, however I've always avoided bringing any labels that are carried by the restaurant as a matter of form. Will NCL care? Or should I find a wine list online for those eateries? I have the ultimate beverage package, but I'm a bit of a wine snob and I like to have a nice bottle with dinner. When I sailed on the Epic last year I purchased a bottle at Cagney's with dinner and they stored for the next meal. I'm assuming my bottles can be handled similarly. Any other tips from folks who have done this before?

Each cruise line is different. You might want to post on the boards under Norwegian Cruise Line.

As for Princess, the label means nothing. Bring what ever wine you want. The first bottle per person is free to drink in your room If you bring it to the MDR, they usually charge the corkage. After that, you will need to pay corkage for the balance.

Look for my post on bringing cases on. Sometime tonight or this weekend when I get time, I will be updating the post with the info I have gathered

I am re-posting the summary from the other wine thread:

Here is a summary of what cruisers have posted here.

1) Wine can be checked as luggage. Put copies of the luggage tags for princess on each box. It is recommended to mark the cases 1 of 3, 2 of 3, etc.

2) Pack wine in six pack packages that have the Styrofoam protectors if you are worried. Others have just used the 12 pack cases. May want to tape them up better than they come from the store.

3) You will more than likely get a call to go down to the wine processing table. (We all call this by names similar to the naughty corner, Jail, the "sin" room, etc.)

4) After wine corkage is paid in the naughty corner and bottles tagged (you optionally can take the tags and put them on the bottles as you take them to the MDR), wine will be delivered to the room. It should be delivered inside the room. Might want to verify this when in the sin room.

5) The wine can be then be brought to dinner, and waiter will serve it at your table and store for the next night. Rooms are equipped with a fridge so you can chill it to your desired temp before taking wherever you are eating dinner.

If you see anything incorrect in my summary or have something to add, please let me know.

Here is a link to a google doc if you would like to copy it to your drive.

LINK

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thank you to everyone else for not coming in and snarking!clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

If you have a decent collection and bring nice wines with you, especially ones that have been cellared for a while, there is little chance that you will be replicating anything on their list. Most wines are of the most recent vintage and are not ones that people cellar. And the bottom line is that the crew wouldn't care in any event.

If you see anything incorrect in my summary or have something to add, please let me know.

clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Not "incorrect" per se, but a modification to #4. You state that your wine "will be delivered to your cabin" and that reads as if it is the only option. I would edit it to read that after paying your corkage fee, you can take your wine back to your cabin or can ask that it be delivered to your cabin.

Not "incorrect" per se, but a modification to #4. You state that your wine "will be delivered to your cabin" and that reads as if it is the only option. I would edit it to read that after paying your corkage fee, you can take your wine back to your cabin or can ask that it be delivered to your cabin.

I can add that to the google doc. Just understand where the whole effort of putting the info together was I am bringing 3 cases on board this fall. I would prefer to not moving those from the lower deck all the way up to our room.

I can add that to the google doc. Just understand where the whole effort of putting the info together was I am bringing 3 cases on board this fall. I would prefer to not moving those from the lower deck all the way up to our room.

Understood. But your summary post (#39) makes no mention of the volume of wine taken aboard and will be read into the future by others as generic advice on how to handle wine. (Which is a good thing). So why not give the broader options.

Understood. But your summary post (#39) makes no mention of the volume of wine taken aboard and will be read into the future by others as generic advice on how to handle wine. (Which is a good thing). So why not give the broader options.

If you had followed the quote (post 23) I put up a few days ago where I started mentioning the summary, you would have seen the other thread where the wine by case was described. That is where the summary originated. I also mentioned 3 cases in post 30 on this thread.

Along the way through this thread I have mentioned how smaller numbers are brought on and how they are handled.

If you had followed the quote (post 23) I put up a few days ago where I started mentioning the summary, you would have seen the other thread where the wine by case was described. That is where the summary originated. I also mentioned 3 cases in post 30 on this thread.

Along the way through this thread I have mentioned how smaller numbers are brought on and how they are handled.

Perhaps I am just missing the bigger picture here. Is your recap post (at #39) and your Google Doc an attempt to capture what the process is for people who are going on 60 day cruises and bringing 3+ cases of wine? Or is it an attempt to capture what the process is for people bringing wine on generally? If it is the former, then put a heading on your Google Doc that says: "How to Bring On Board Large Volumes of Wine (3+ Cases)." But without that type of heading, it reads as generic advice. Frankly, you would be doing a much greater service if you keep it generic as it will have utility to far, far more people. I certainly caught what you mentioned throughout the thread about your particular situation. But I thought that you were trying to use that experience to draft up a generic primer which could assist many, many people, and my suggestion was offered in that spirit.

I am re-posting the summary from the other wine thread:

Here is a summary of what cruisers have posted here.

1) Wine can be checked as luggage. Put copies of the luggage tags for princess on each box. It is recommended to mark the cases 1 of 3, 2 of 3, etc.

2) Pack wine in six pack packages that have the Styrofoam protectors if you are worried. Others have just used the 12 pack cases. May want to tape them up better than they come from the store.

3) You will more than likely get a call to go down to the wine processing table. (We all call this by names similar to the naughty corner, Jail, the "sin" room, etc.)

4) After wine corkage is paid in the naughty corner and bottles tagged (you optionally can take the tags and put them on the bottles as you take them to the MDR), wine will be delivered to the room. It should be delivered inside the room. Might want to verify this when in the sin room.

5) The wine can be then be brought to dinner, and waiter will serve it at your table and store for the next night. Rooms are equipped with a fridge so you can chill it to your desired temp before taking wherever you are eating dinner.

Here is a link to a google doc if you would like to copy it to your drive.

LINK

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thank you to everyone else for not coming in and snarking!clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Thank you for info! And I’m sorry I didn’t realize I was in the wrong board - I searched the “Wine” and this was most helpful thread :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for info! And I’m sorry I didn’t realize I was in the wrong board - I searched the “Wine” and this was most helpful thread :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is info above on bringing just a few bottles on.

With Princes you can bring one bottle on with no charge unless you take it to the MDR.

All other bottles are charged $15 each for corkage. They will give tags for the bottles and you can take them to the MDR with no charge.

For those that did not go to the bottom of the post, nor all the way through, I thought I should clarify the info the OP asked for. I also added the info to the document I link in above.

If you purchase a bottle of wine in the dining room, drink half, can you take the rest of the bottle to your room or does Princess have to store it until the next meal?

May want a night cap.

You’ve paid the corkage fee so you can drink it anywhere onboard including your cabin.

Or they can store it for another night even if in a different dining room. If you provide the information from the previous dinner they can locate your bottle faster.

Or you could store the bottle for another dinner & purchase another full bottle to drink in your cabin.

There is a written policy you can find on line, or someone can post here.

When you printout your luggage labels you will find the wine policy is on it. Should you have any problems with security when boarding just show them the policy on you luggage label. This happens sometimes because the security people in the terminal are not cruise line employees and the policy is different for every cruise line.

With Princes you can bring one bottle on with no charge unless you take it to the MDR.

The policy says one bottle for consumption in your room. In theory you could be charged corkage if you consume it anywhere but your room but who is going to police it?