Question about wine onboard

Tx-Bev

I'm a complete non-drinker but, at his doctor's suggestion, my husband consumes a single glass of red wine each night before bed. He is otherwise also a non-drinker and neither of us likes sodas anymore, preferring to stick with water and iced tea. Thus purchasing an $89/day/person beverage package obviously makes zero sense for us.

Anyone know whether wine can be purchased by the bottle once on board and, if so, are you allowed to take it back to your cabin? Finally, if wine is available for purchase, where one might find a published price list?

As I recall, the last time we sailed, passengers were each allowed to bring a couple of bottles of wine on board with them and I don't recall that there was any "corkage fee"...but that was 10 years ago and obviously things have changed.

Given that Hubby will likely uncork his own bottle in our cabin and consume it there, a $15/bottle "corkage" fee just to bring it onboard seems more than a bit outrageous....especially as he typically picks wines that only cost about $10/bottle. Before anybody makes any snide comments, no hubby does not even pretend to be an oenophile, this is medicinal. :)

There is a wine package where you get so many bottles with a bit of money off. (I think it is still offered)

You can drink this in your room

You can also buy wine by bottle or glass onboard and take back to your room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying $10!- bottle, plus the corkage fee, will be cheaper than any bottle you buy onboard, plus taste much better. It’s a service charge to offset the loss of profit for not purchasing way marked up bottle prices onboard.

You are correct about the corkage fee, it is $15. There are a number of wines available by the glass. here is a link to a previous post that had a photo of the wine list https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49827631&postcount=2
Thank you! Most helpful.

I had kind of been wondering how anyone who wasn't a total souse could possibly manage to imbibe anywhere close to $89 worth of beverages per day. At those prices inflated prices, I can understand it. ;p LOL!

Paying $10!- bottle, plus the corkage fee, will be cheaper than any bottle you buy onboard, plus taste much better. It’s a service charge to offset the loss of profit for not purchasing way marked up bottle prices onboard.
Wow, you said it!

We're taking the 11 day cruise out of Barcelona with stops in Casablanca, the Canary Islands, Madiera, and Malaga and Alicante Spain. After researching a bit, we've realized that, except for Casablanca, all our ports-of-call are in wine producing regions. So hubby has decided he'll just try a glass of the local wine at lunch-time instead of messing with wine onboard. So we've added that to his list of "excursion activities." :)